Are the Disadvantaged Entitled to Respect? | INFJ Forum

Are the Disadvantaged Entitled to Respect?

Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Reading over the responses in my thread about Political Correctness and Biggotry entitled "Jews, gays, muslims, women, etc" this question occurred to me:

Besides the respect that is due to people as persons, are the disadvantaged entitled to more/special respect?
(Being a part of a minority is often cited as being disadvantaged in some qualified respects).

While the automatic answer is probably yes, this needs to be distinguished from the respect that all people are entitled to.

Should Respect be Earned?
People need to earn my respect. I regard everyone with a certain level of respect. This can increase through demonstrations of excellence, be they: intellectual, great generousity, great patience, great work/effort, great prudence, etc. etc. However, people can also lose the basic level of respect I hold for them, through great acts of stupidity, selfishness, incompetence (when pretending to be capable of something they are not up to), etc.

It seems that some aspects of political correctness-sensitivity are geared towards the demanding of a level or respect, which would normally have to be earned.
Is this a legitimate claim for respect, taking into account some disadvantage? Or is it simply gaining respect on the cheap?

Everybody should be equally respected. That's what the civil rights movement was about. Some people tout that the anti bullying rules in schools are actually prejudice against white people because that's not treating people equally. Well, that's not how it works.

Everybody should be equally respected. That's what the civil rights movement was about. Some people tout that the anti bullying rules in schools are actually prejudice against white people because that's not treating people equally. Well, that's not how it works.

I cannot subscribe to any ideology that requires me to give the same respect to one person who is polite and considerate and also to another person who is rude and selfish.

Besides the respect that is due to people as persons, are the disadvantaged entitled to more/special respect?

No.

Easy answer there.

Less easy answer.

Like, everyone deserves respect going in. If it's a stranger, respect the person no matter what. Then, uh, if someone does some dumb shit then you don't have to respect him or her anylonger. The trick is to not show that you don't respect the person.

Or, umm. I need to think on this.

I was never under the impression that minorities "demanded" more respect from other people. I always thought that they were striving for equality... I guess they're all selfish bastards then. Off with their heads!

Or maybe there's a fundamental misunderstanding going on here....

EDIT.

I am going to like.... try to make a habit of not being vague~ (today) anyways. uhm yes.

See after reading your post I was under the impression you were working off of some premises that to me were still heavily shrouded in the grey zone. For example.... To me minorities do not demand nor deserve "special respect"..... I mean... I'm gay... so.. that counts for something right? (AND DISCLAIMER. I hate those stupid gay pride things... I mean really, I get that the fundamental message being brought over is about equity and shit... but... No, most people will misinterpret it and see it as some kind of offensive attack on their values... geez... It's so... head on revolutionary/I don't care about integrity I just feel this is right/just because I want to feel like I'm part of something/just because I want to do it... it's not elegant at all, it misses integrity and... truth, why do so many things in this world have to be so shallow, hollow, without essence! It's so... ugh, I don't get those people.)

You seem to give an argument that most people agree with in the first place... I mean of course I agree with you that respect should be earned... I'm sure almost everyone agrees with you on that. But this is a classic trick in debating.... To connect an argument that resonates with the majority to your own cause....

I think the questions I'd like to ask are: "Is there truly a problem to begin with? Do minorities truly "demand" more respect with total disregard to the contemporary social protocol that revolves around how we exchange respect?" If so "Do they perpetrate it consciously? What are their motives? Are they working out of fear? Or are they just out there to make our lives worse and make us feel less worthy(or whatever emotions that is evoked in the offended)"

Anyways... what kind of respect would this "entitled respect" be? It actually begs the definition of respect to be re-written. Respect, by definition is something you earn(in our contemporary society). If I would juxtapose it like that.... There's a clear clash of values. The ethos regarding the definition and virtue of what we call respect... and "The others" that seem to be trying to subvert one of our pillars of society by demanding respect for X reason. (Well, that's how I see it... In it's rawest form) Again, the main question I have is whether the claims against "the others" are actually there. In the end... It's a clash of values, right?

But is it really about respect to being with? Maybe there's an underlying motive. Because I get this feeling there is... Especially because you seem to be very... let's say "Attached" to this whole political correctness/bigot/respect business (something I don't think I could care much for). Why is it so important? I have a feeling I'm missing something to the puzzle. Motive and action doesn't add up (to me).

But.... actually I don't think we need to take a sides here.... This whole thread makes it seem it's inevitable that we make an even greater divide between "Them" and "us".... Which is something I despise. It doesn't have to be this way.

Harmony, right? We're all people. I'm sure we can find understanding in each and every one of us. We should look beyond ourselves, our identity, our norms and values. We should look beyond what we believe in right and wrong and see ourselves and others for what we truly are.

In the end, all of our actions are merely products of what we believe is right. In that respect, aren't we all saints?

Last edited:
People often admire/respect me for simply daring to get up in the morning. I mean, they must think that I'm some kind of fragile flower or something who fears being broken easily or something stupid.

As a disabled person, I get very annoyed when people respect/admire/look up to me for doing something that is totally commonplace and not very hard at all like travelling independently or cooking my own dinner.

sometimes I tell them they should give that respect and admiration to people who deserve it, people who save others from burning buildings or go to Africa to do aid work in poor countries.

People often make considerations for me too because of my disability. I don't want people to give me their seats on busses or trains, or to help in various other ways, especially if I haven't asked them to.

Most of us just want to be treated in the same way that you would treat anyone else, and for the most part, that's with disinterest/disregard.

so no, I don't think anyone just deserves respect because they are in a minority.

I guess this depends on your definition of respect. While everyone deserves equal respect in regards to consideration as a human being, respect in the form of esteem is something which needs to be earned.

Upon meeting someone for the first time, I am respectfully considerate and esteem neutral. The more I get to know them, my respect/esteem may rise or fall, but I try to maintain respect/consideration. Admittedly, this is more difficult when a person continues to push my buttons, but this is typically when I stop interacting with them, which is another topic entirely.

[MENTION=3323]Oranguh[/MENTION];
I was never under the impression that minorities "demanded" more respect from other people. I always thought that they were striving for equality... I guess they're all selfish bastards then. Off with their heads!

Or maybe there's a fundamental misunderstanding going on here....

EDIT.

I am going to like.... try to make a habit of not being vague~ (today) anyways. uhm yes.

See after reading your post I was under the impression you were working off of some premises that to me were still heavily shrouded in the grey zone. For example.... To me minorities do not demand nor deserve "special respect"..... I mean... I'm gay... so.. that counts for something right? (AND DISCLAIMER. I hate those stupid gay pride things... I mean really, I get that the fundamental message being brought over is about equity and shit... but... No, most people will misinterpret it and see it as some kind of offensive attack on their values... geez... It's so... head on revolutionary/I don't care about integrity I just feel this is right/just because I want to feel like I'm part of something/just because I want to do it... it's not elegant at all, it misses integrity and... truth, why do so many things in this world have to be so shallow, hollow, without essence! It's so... ugh, I don't get those people.)
There is such a thing as legitimately challenging someone's values - if those values conflict with the peace of others. In such cases the challenge may be respectfully presented.

However, some groups clearly intend to hold their values out so as to deliberately reduce others in society. In such extreme cases, it would seem reasonable to 'take the gloves off.' But this has to be done carefully, because in attacking an extremist portion within a group of people with shared values, one runs the risk of reducing or belittling those moderate/considerate members of the 'value-group.'

There is nothing worse than saying that all 'x' are a bunch of far-out morons, citing extreme individual examples as characterising the entire group. (You can substitute anything for 'x': gays, women, christians, muslims, atheists, etc.)

You seem to give an argument that most people agree with in the first place... I mean of course I agree with you that respect should be earned... I'm sure almost everyone agrees with you on that. But this is a classic trick in debating.... To connect an argument that resonates with the majority to your own cause....
My arguement, which is not really an arguement, but a question is this: beyond a base/standard level, respect is earned. Do certain group disadvantages automatically reasonably require that the base/standard level of respect for that group be higher than for others.

In essence the question is this: Does a disadvantage entitle one to an advantage in terms of respect?

I think the questions I'd like to ask are: "Is there truly a problem to begin with? Do minorities truly "demand" more respect with total disregard to the contemporary social protocol that revolves around how we exchange respect?" If so "Do they perpetrate it consciously? What are their motives? Are they working out of fear? Or are they just out there to make our lives worse and make us feel less worthy(or whatever emotions that is evoked in the offended)"
I don't think minorities demand respect in the first instance.

I think political-correctness manipulators create an artificial (false) consensus that certain minorities are entitled to more respect than majority groups. This sets up some members of some minorities to have an elevated sense of entitlement, which quickly makes them run foul of other's good esteeme.

It is as though Political Campaigners, by their activities, make some minorities odious to others.

Anyways... what kind of respect would this "entitled respect" be? It actually begs the definition of respect to be re-written. Respect, by definition is something you earn(in our contemporary society). If I would juxtapose it like that.... There's a clear clash of values. The ethos regarding the definition and virtue of what we call respect... and "The others" that seem to be trying to subvert one of our pillars of society by demanding respect for X reason. (Well, that's how I see it... In it's rawest form) Again, the main question I have is whether the claims against "the others" are actually there. In the end... It's a clash of values, right?
Demanding respect instead of trying to earn it does seem supremely disrespectful.

But is it really about respect to being with? Maybe there's an underlying motive. Because I get this feeling there is... Especially because you seem to be very... let's say "Attached" to this whole political correctness/bigot/respect business (something I don't think I could care much for). Why is it so important? I have a feeling I'm missing something to the puzzle. Motive and action doesn't add up (to me).
My beef with the whole thing is annoyance with seeing well respected women, working in a predominantly male environment lose the esteeme of their male collegues just because some political-correctness activist insisted/implied that these excellent women had reached their level of excellence for some reason other than excellence. (It was implied that their success owed thanks to the women's equality campaign - which was utter b.s. Those women earned their positions.)

The claim of the p.c. brigade actually diminished the real acheivement of these women.

But.... actually I don't think we need to take a sides here.... This whole thread makes it seem it's inevitable that we make an even greater divide between "Them" and "us".... Which is something I despise. It doesn't have to be this way.

Harmony, right? We're all people. I'm sure we can find understanding in each and every one of us. We should look beyond ourselves, our identity, our norms and values. We should look beyond what we believe in right and wrong and see ourselves and others for what we truly are.

In the end, all of our actions are merely products of what we believe is right. In that respect, aren't we all saints?

Last edited:
[MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION];

People often admire/respect me for simply daring to get up in the morning. I mean, they must think that I'm some kind of fragile flower or something who fears being broken easily or something stupid.

As a disabled person, I get very annoyed when people respect/admire/look up to me for doing something that is totally commonplace and not very hard at all like travelling independently or cooking my own dinner.

sometimes I tell them they should give that respect and admiration to people who deserve it, people who save others from burning buildings or go to Africa to do aid work in poor countries.

People often make considerations for me too because of my disability. I don't want people to give me their seats on busses or trains, or to help in various other ways, especially if I haven't asked them to.

Most of us just want to be treated in the same way that you would treat anyone else, and for the most part, that's with disinterest/disregard.

so no, I don't think anyone just deserves respect because they are in a minority.

I guess, when I have to interact with a disabled person, I am particularly courteous - hmmm... but this may be just a more ostentatious show of respect than an indicator of greater respect. (I am admittedly a bit of dinosaur - my father raised my brother and I to be chivalrous).

However, it must be said that what I would consider exceptional acheivement for a fully able-bodied person is very different from what I would consider exceptional for a quadreplegic person. Someone paralysed from the neck down, who manages a small team (in any field) would probably be on par in my esteem with someone who manages an international organisation. This is simply because as organisms, there is a limit to how much one can do in a day - and I would suppose that because of physical limitations, the potential productive work day for a quadreplegic is far less than for someone who can just bounce out of bed and be in the office within 45min.

I hope this isn't patronising, but I tip my hat to anyone who can acheive a lot in a small amount of time.

Last edited:
@dream echo;

I guess this depends on your definition of respect. While everyone deserves equal respect in regards to consideration as a human being, respect in the form of esteem is something which needs to be earned.

Upon meeting someone for the first time, I am respectfully considerate and esteem neutral. The more I get to know them, my respect/esteem may rise or fall, but I try to maintain respect/consideration. Admittedly, this is more difficult when a person continues to push my buttons, but this is typically when I stop interacting with them, which is another topic entirely.

Considerateness, in one of its senses, seems juxtaposed to dismissiveness.

This is a bit of a wake up call for me - because when someone presents themselves as part of a group - instead of as an individual, I automatically think: "You're saying your are one of those..." which shuts my interest down - ie. I tend to dismiss people unless they are presenting themselves as individuals.

I don't know that this is entirely wrong - if someone knocks on my door and says they are from the Jehova's Witnesses, I automatically lose interest and will not consider them as someone to show interest in. The person on my doorstep may be the most interesting, incredible individual for miles around, but he didn't present himself as an individual.

Is this biggotry? Is this unfairly favouring personalism? Is this disrespect for the individual, for for the group, or for both?

Hmmmm....... I'm going to be thinking about this when I'm trying to fall asleep. Rats.

Last edited:
My arguement, which is not really an arguement, but a question is this: beyond a base/standard level, respect is earned. Do certain group disadvantages automatically reasonably require that the base/standard level of respect for that group be higher than for others.

In essence the question is this: Does a disadvantage entitle one to an advantage in terms of respect?

No.
I don't think anyone is entitled to the respect above what should normally be considered for a sentient being.

I think political-correctness manipulators create an artificial (false) consensus that certain minorities are entitled to more respect than majority groups. This sets up some members of some minorities to have an elevated sense of entitlement, which quickly makes them run foul of other's good esteeme.

I have encountered this.

It is as though Political Campaigners, by their activities, make some minorities odious to others.

It isn't the PC's activities; it's the individuals within the groups who lead the way on this.

And - for what it's worth - the media will pick up on any small "hate" action and blow it up all out of proportion to attract attention and stir up ratings.

Demanding respect instead of trying to earn it does seem supremely disrespectful.
:nod: Agreed.

My beef with the whole thing is annoyance with seeing well respected women, working in a predominantly male environment lose the esteeme of their male collegues just because some political-correctness activist insisted/implied that these excellent women had reached their level of excellence for some reason other than excellence. (It was implied that their success owed thanks to the women's equality campaign - which was utter b.s. Those women earned their positions.)

The claim of the p.c. brigade actually diminished the real acheivement of these women.

Bah....that's sad for me to read FA. No wonder you're disgusted.

As I was reading through the others posts, I found myself recalling stories told by my police officer friends. About how the black people they encountered on a daily basis accusing my friends of being "Haters".
The problem was - my friends actually were "Haters". In their lives, it was as if it was a small war of one group, The Police, against another group, The Inner City Blacks. They came to view "all" people of that group with disdain and No respect. Over the years I saw my friends go from being rather open minded and accepting to becoming rigid and narrow in their views of others. They carried this view out into the wider world as well.

I was dismayed to see that happening.

Ironically, when I was growing up I was taught to "Respect" the police officer - no questions asked. imo, this encouraged the police officers themselves to think they were entitled to more respect than the average person. When their attitude bumped up against the minorities, that in turn sparked retaliative "attitudes" and it spiraled from there.

These days I distrust police officers and they do not get any more respect from me than I would give a human being.

It pisses me off to see the pc brigade undermined the achievements of those women.

It pisses me off to see individuals within any one group act out in idiotic ways to undermine their own group.

And it really pisses me off to see that in a country today we have "Groups" at all.

In social work school, I was taught all about the "oppressed" groups and how I was to be on alert specifically for injustices against them by the dominant group.
In my mind, the government is so busy labeling and categorizing as to forget we are all in this sinking boat together.

Personally, I think it's another way we, the population, are manipulated against one another.

We are divided and conquered.

People need to earn my respect. I regard everyone with a certain level of respect. This can increase through demonstrations of excellence, be they: intellectual, great generousity, great patience, great work/effort, great prudence, etc. etc. However, people can also lose the basic level of respect I hold for them, through great acts of stupidity, selfishness, incompetence (when pretending to be capable of something they are not up to), etc.

It seems that some aspects of political correctness-sensitivity are geared towards the demanding of a level or respect, which would normally have to be earned.
Is this a legitimate claim for respect, taking into account some disadvantage? Or is it simply gaining respect on the cheap?

I have to agree with you here. Respect has to be earned. Maybe that is why I have so many issues with politicians. They feel they are entitled to respect. And to an extent, they are. Any person in power should have SOME, I suppose. They take advantage of their power all too often, and it leaves everyone bitter and disappointed.
Thats an extreme example, I know.
Wasn't sure how to approach this, so hopefully you understand what I was trying to say...maybe.

-Anna

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
I have to agree with you here. Respect has to be earned. Maybe that is why I have so many issues with politicians. They feel they are entitled to respect. And to an extent, they are. Any person in power should have SOME, I suppose. They take advantage of their power all too often, and it leaves everyone bitter and disappointed.
Thats an extreme example, I know.
Wasn't sure how to approach this, so hopefully you understand what I was trying to say...maybe.

-Anna

Now wait a minute .... dictators have a lot of power, but you're not suggesting we should respect them as well, are you? :wink:
But I totally agree that respect has to earned.

(Being a part of a minority is often cited as being disadvantaged in some qualified respects).

I think the real question is this: Have they been respected *period*? It's not necessarily asking for entitled special respect. It's noting that yes, they are different from you, and that's okay. And knowing that those differences are beneficial for everyone.

It's controversial, but culture is beautiful when it's respected on both sides. It's not good to overly emphasize culture over an individual or group, but on the same side it's not good to diminish someone's culture and pretend that their culture is meaningless. Again, that comes into the whole, "walk a mile in his shoes" phenomenon. You can't judge someone if you've never been there yourself, and you can't assume if you've never experienced it personally.

Sometimes, yes. But it can also become an ego trip if we look down on people who don't meet our standards of respect (especially if we place certain levels of respect on others that we don't place on ourselves). Requiring respect is one thing; elitism born of prejudicial mindsets is something else entirely (re: slave/master mentality).

You have to understand, some people don't see the problems in the first place, so asking for respect when you've given none in return is not respect at all - it's more of a slave/master aspect. It's saying, "your perspective of the situation is less important than mine." Mind you, it's not easy to get to that point, but think of it this way: I know a *lot* about European history. I respect European history and I know about the great scientific, religious, and exploring minds of the day. What I don't know a lot about is African history, outside of Egyptian history. I had to find out about how Islam really did support the world mathematically. That's not taught, and so it was eye-opening when I finally saw a different perspective from my own. I learned to respect my culture, and the strides of cultures who weren't European. I learned that my culture wasn't just about slavery.

Here's something else to consider - we're taught certain things in school, and whether we know this consciously or unconsciously we're taught that certain cultures are on the top of the food chain and others are on the bottom. The wrong history books will drill this dogma into our heads and we will assume that the only culture worth having is the one constantly mentioned in history books. With that being said, we also forget that other cultures have equal value and they have equally built the world as we know it. Once the light bulb goes off and you realize that your culture is just as important as someone else's, you fight for the right to be heard. And when someone dismisses your new knowledge as insignificant, you'll end up dismissing that individual.

There are problems on both sides, though. Communication is key. You can feel personally hurt because you felt you haven't been heard, and you'll lash out assuming all people different from you will act the same insensitive way. Or, you can be the insensitive person who has done no research regarding an opposite culture, but who assumes he knows everything about them.

It's a two-way street, and it's a difficult one to cross.

The best way to see it is to a) Learn that respect goes both ways, and b) Understand what respect means to the other person.

No. They don't deserve any more respect for being disadvantaged.

continuation said:

I agree with you, you should have a basic level of respect for individual you don't know; they could be equally deserving or undeserving of respect and, at that time, it's impossible to know. Based on their actions, you can further determine if they deserve more respect than the average individual or less.

I think the real question is this: Have they been respected *period*? It's not necessarily asking for entitled special respect. It's noting that yes, they are different from you, and that's okay. And knowing that those differences are beneficial for everyone.

It's controversial, but culture is beautiful when it's respected on both sides. It's not good to overly emphasize culture over an individual or group, but on the same side it's not good to diminish someone's culture and pretend that their culture is meaningless. Again, that comes into the whole, "walk a mile in his shoes" phenomenon. You can't judge someone if you've never been there yourself, and you can't assume if you've never experienced it personally.

Sometimes, yes. But it can also become an ego trip if we look down on people who don't meet our standards of respect (especially if we place certain levels of respect on others that we don't place on ourselves). Requiring respect is one thing; elitism born of prejudicial mindsets is something else entirely (re: slave/master mentality).

You have to understand, some people don't see the problems in the first place, so asking for respect when you've given none in return is not respect at all - it's more of a slave/master aspect. It's saying, "your perspective of the situation is less important than mine
." Mind you, it's not easy to get to that point, but think of it this way: I know a *lot* about European history. I respect European history and I know about the great scientific, religious, and exploring minds of the day. What I don't know a lot about is African history, outside of Egyptian history. I had to find out about how Islam really did support the world mathematically. That's not taught, and so it was eye-opening when I finally saw a different perspective from my own. I learned to respect my culture, and the strides of cultures who weren't European. I learned that my culture wasn't just about slavery.

Here's something else to consider - we're taught certain things in school, and whether we know this consciously or unconsciously we're taught that certain cultures are on the top of the food chain and others are on the bottom. The wrong history books will drill this dogma into our heads and we will assume that the only culture worth having is the one constantly mentioned in history books. With that being said, we also forget that other cultures have equal value and they have equally built the world as we know it. Once the light bulb goes off and you realize that your culture is just as important as someone else's, you fight for the right to be heard. And when someone dismisses your new knowledge as insignificant, you'll end up dismissing that individual.

There are problems on both sides, though. Communication is key. You can feel personally hurt because you felt you haven't been heard, and you'll lash out assuming all people different from you will act the same insensitive way. Or, you can be the insensitive person who has done no research regarding an opposite culture, but who assumes he knows everything about them.

It's a two-way street, and it's a difficult one to cross.

The best way to see it is to a) Learn that respect goes both ways, and b) Understand what respect means to the other person.

I wasn't thinking of cultures in this thread - but now that you mention it....

It seems that a culture is a long-standing set of customs. Sometimes a culture is used to identify an ethnic group. However, within ethnic groups there are always counter-cultural individuals. So I'm going to stick to calling a culture a set of customs (just so I can keep track of things).

I suppose that cultures, like individuals, are entitled to a certain level of respect - however, cultures are somewhat more stagnant and open to scrutiny than individuals. But what would be a fair standard for evaluating a culture?

Some criteria for evaluating cultures might include:
1. The extent to which the culture supports (or undermines) the wellbeing of the individuals partaking of that culture. (ie. a culture that requires bodily mutilation, or human sacrifices will obviously be less congenial to the wellbeing of individuals).
2. As a subsidiary: How well a culture enables an individual to interact with other cultures in a way that benefits the individual. (ie. a culture which is either insular, or does not condition for good judgement will either prevent people from adopting better customs; or dispose people to adopt bad foreign customs - some cultures adopted human sacrifice).
3. Whether the culture is sufficiently robust to be of continued benefit to an individual, exposed to many other cultures. (ie. when given a choice of many beneficial cultures, will one culture still offer a better standard of life? If it does, then this culture, for this individual will be superior to others and thus deserving of more respect).

I'm not throwing myself 100% behind what I am going to say - but I'll say it anyway:
Some cultures are not only worthy of no respect - they should be actively shunned.
Now to explain it: Some customs are so detrimental to individual welbeing, that they cannot be tolerated. For example: forced human sacrifice; or systemetised brutality towards minors, women, the elderly, etc.
But one may object: that particular custom should be shunned, not the entire culture. To this, it must be noted that a culture is not just a random set of customs - it is a cohesive set of customs. If you change one significant custom, you have changed the culture - it is no longer the same thing afterwards. In this sense, some cultures which are openly complacent with destructive practices should be shunned, not not regarded with the same esteeme as other non-destructive cultures.

Moreover, it cannot be said that one has at least to respect individual's rights to choose certain cultures - because if a young man were to adopt a primitive European tribal culture, which permitted, or even encouraged him to raid neighbouring towns to pillage and rape - he should be forcibly prevented from following his culture.

If one were to insist that one's local culture must accept other cultures without qualification, it would change and transform one's culture into a different entity. For example, if we in the West were to accept/tollerate that cultures that forcibly mutilated their individuals - we would no longer be a culture that values freedom and physical saftey.

I had this huuuge response typed, and wouldn't ya know? Eaten. :/ Anyway -

I wasn't thinking of cultures in this thread - but now that you mention it....

In some cases the culture can be the disadvantaged group, so it can be one and the same...that's one reason I mentioned it, but no worries.

It seems that a culture is a long-standing set of customs. Sometimes a culture is used to identify an ethnic group. However, within ethnic groups there are always counter-cultural individuals. So I'm going to stick to calling a culture a set of customs (just so I can keep track of things).

Be careful here, though; culture isn't necessarily built on customs. In fact I'd say the culture comes first - you have a culture built on individuals who probably share physical characteristics first (or mannerisms). As that community grows then that community will also create customs for the group: Religious customs, superstitious customs, etc. But culture and custom are not necessarily synonymous. In fact, I'd say they're not synonymous at all. But no worries; for the sake of the discussion we can try and focus on customs rather than culture.

I suppose that cultures, like individuals, are entitled to a certain level of respect - however, cultures are somewhat more stagnant and open to scrutiny than individuals.

Hmm, now this is an interesting statement. Why do you feel cultures are more stagnant and open to scrutiny than individuals? I'm truly curious.

But what would be a fair standard for evaluating a culture?
Some criteria for evaluating cultures might include:
1. The extent to which the culture supports (or undermines) the wellbeing of the individuals partaking of that culture. (ie. a culture that requires bodily mutilation, or human sacrifices will obviously be less congenial to the wellbeing of individuals).

This can be very subjective, FA - every culture has a different level of what "well-being" means to them. In the United States it's normal for girls to pierce their ears - they do it all the time. It's almost a rite of passage. It not even be considered in other cultures (or customs) and some customs may practice full-body piercing. But those aren't wrong, they're just different. And what may be considered mutilation may be extreme piercing. Now mind you, there is a line, but even that can be a hard line to see based on the culture or custom. But let's address that later.

2. As a subsidiary: How well a culture enables an individual to interact with other cultures in a way that benefits the individual. (ie. a culture which is either insular, or does not condition for good judgement will either prevent people from adopting better customs; or dispose people to adopt bad foreign customs - some cultures adopted human sacrifice).

Again, subjective. The Japanese culture/custom is considered insular by many in the West, but its a thriving culture and outstrips many (despite the tsunami and nuclear reactor incidents). This culture is less likely to accept other cultures, and they are less likely to adopt other customs but they are hardly stunted in their growth. What makes a good culture or custom, then? Is it a culture or custom that is more or less similar to ours, or is it a custom that we can accept as "equal"? There is more to ponder here, methinks.

Human sacrifice...well, no, I think that's outside the boundaries. But what would another culture say about our tendencies to play violent video games--?

3. Whether the culture is sufficiently robust to be of continued benefit to an individual, exposed to many other cultures. (ie. when given a choice of many beneficial cultures, will one culture still offer a better standard of life? If it does, then this culture, for this individual will be superior to others and thus deserving of more respect).

(Emphasis mine)

Now I absolutely disagree here, and here's why: What is considered quality of life? How can we judge one culture's quality of life as better than another's? You can have someone who has one hut, three cattle, no electricity and a pond and he could be infinitely happier than someone who has four computers, a Nintendo, and all the video games in the world. If we're talking quality of life, the concept itself is highly subjective. You can't say one culture offers a better quality of life; you can only say you like your quality of life.

Mind you, I love my computer and my internet and my modern conveniences, but that's not quality of life. I think the person with fewer modern conveniences might even be better off. Because when weather tragedy strikes, the person who knows how to live off the land will have a much easier time of getting back to "normal" than I will.

In short, there's no such thing as a "superior" culture. There are only different cultures. And unless we take the time to experience those cultures and customs, we can't judge them. And even if we *do* experience them unless we're in them for a very long time can we compare and contrast them. I lived in Great Britain for a year, and I can honestly say that I prefer some things there than I do in the United States. Culturally, I'm still a US citizen, but I'd celebrate Hogmanay in a heartbeat if it wasn't so weird to celebrate it alone. And I personally do not celebrate Kwanzaa (I personally think it's silly), but I will respect those who do.

Some cultures are not only worthy of no respect - they should be actively shunned.

Depending on what it is, yes. I'd agree.

Now to explain it: Some customs are so detrimental to individual welbeing, that they cannot be tolerated. For example: forced human sacrifice; or systemetised brutality towards minors, women, the elderly, etc.

We're absolutely on the same page with this, but that's kind of an extreme example.

But one may object: that particular custom should be shunned, not the entire culture. To this, it must be noted that a culture is not just a random set of customs - it is a cohesive set of customs. If you change one significant custom, you have changed the culture - it is no longer the same thing afterwards. In this sense, some cultures which are openly complacent with destructive practices should be shunned, not not regarded with the same esteeme as other non-destructive cultures.

Okay - here it sounds as if you're saying culture and custom are the same, but I would categorically disagree. You can separate the two; it may be customary to get your ears pierced as a girl in the United States, but it doesn't make you any culturally less a US citizen if you don't. You may be looked at strangely, but you're not going to be shunned for being an outsider. It doesn't change the culture to go against some of its customs; it changes the individual. Obviously as I said before there is a line. There are extremes in every culture. For example, I don't think it's healthy to play video games 15 hours a day, but many in the United States do. That isn't a healthy practice. But should that be shunned culturally? There are many things people practice in the United States that rub me wrong, but I'm not going to eschew my entire culture because of a few people. If I leave the US it'll be because I like another country better in general. But it won't be because of a few customs or cultural practices.

Moreover, it cannot be said that one has at least to respect individual's rights to choose certain cultures - because if a young man were to adopt a primitive European tribal culture, which permitted, or even encouraged him to raid neighbouring towns to pillage and rape - he should be forcibly prevented from following his culture.

Again, I think you're using too many extremes in your examples. Most cultures don't have such extremes; but even an extreme for me may not be an extreme for someone else. For example, I detest the "southern flag" of the United States in deference to my own culture (and what it means to my culture). But if a person chooses to do so, then that's on them. I'll probably ask them why they have it, and I'll honestly want an answer, but I won't go off on them for having one.

If one were to insist that one's local culture must accept other cultures without qualification, it would change and transform one's culture into a different entity. For example, if we in the West were to accept/tollerate that cultures that forcibly mutilated their individuals - we would no longer be a culture that values freedom and physical saftey.

This is pretty extreme, and I think going too far in the opposite direction. It's not about accepting things that could either harm us or harm another individual; it's about understanding the other person's culture and how it made them who they are, with the understanding that they're different but not an anathema to us. There are levels of understanding we can all tolerate.

Everyone's culture has been transformed by the dominant culture in society. We're all forced to conform to the dominant flag over our society, but it doesn't mean we have to accept everything within our society. Respect is a two-way street; in order to respect each other, we have to respect why the customs or cultural references came in the first place. We don't have to *like* them, but if we seek to understand the other culture we need to understand why those customs came about in the first place.

Again, my twocents.

Reactions: Nixie
Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity - which means ethically, fairly, kindly, and politely.

Respect - which means to be worthy of admiration, preferrence, and exemplary esteem - is earned. No one is entitled to it, but everyone is entitled to the right to earn it. Respect is not and should never be inherent, but the opportunity to become all that we can be should not be blocked, and this is why dignity is so important.

One of the quickest ways to lose my respect is to demand it.

Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity - which means ethically, fairly, kindly, and politely.

Respect - which means to be worthy of admiration, preferrence, and exemplary esteem - is earned. No one is entitled to it, but everyone is entitled to the right to earn it. Respect is not and should never be inherent, but the opportunity to become all that we can be should not be blocked, and this is why dignity is so important.

One of the quickest ways to lose my respect is to demand it.

You hit the nail on the head, VH - and there is a huge difference between respect, and dignity. It is possible to remove someone's dignity while asking for their respect (slave/master; superior/inferior) and that is absolutely wrong. But I can respect someone who doesn't ask for it, if they treat me with both equality and dignity.

In fact, I'd say treating someone with dignity *is* treating them equally.