Are INFJs lost in their 'fantasy world'? | INFJ Forum

Are INFJs lost in their 'fantasy world'?

Apr 12, 2018
London
MBTI
INFJ
Hello my lovely people,

I just watched this video of a fellow INFP who shares his insights about INFJ:

As someone who is not a INFJ himself, I think he did a great job of analysing our behaviour.
But I have to say that the main thing that really caught my attention is his description of how INFJs are in danger of getting lost in their fantasy world and become completely detached from the real world.
And from my experience, I am absolutely guilty of that. I tend to socially withdrawn and when things get tough, I tend to get lost in my inner world of ideas and fantasies, hopes and dreams. But I reached a point in my life when I realised that if I want to have a happy life I really need to get outside of my shell and work on myself, go beyond my comfort zone and challenge my limiting beliefs about people and world.

Do you have similar tendencies? Or maybe you completely disagree with the statements made in this video?

I'd love to know what you think!
X

Hello my lovely people,

I just watched this video of a fellow INFP who shares his insights about INFJ:

As someone who is not a INFJ himself, I think he did a great job of analysing our behaviour.
But I have to say that the main thing that really caught my attention is his description of how INFJs are in danger of getting lost in their fantasy world and become completely detached from the real world.
And from my experience, I am absolutely guilty of that. I tend to socially withdrawn and when things get tough, I tend to get lost in my inner world of ideas and fantasies, hopes and dreams. But I reached a point in my life when I realised that if I want to have a happy life I really need to get outside of my shell and work on myself, go beyond my comfort zone and challenge my limiting beliefs about people and world.

Do you have similar tendencies? Or maybe you completely disagree with the statements made in this video?

I'd love to know what you think!
X
This is definitely an analysis by an INFP. Unmistakably. :laughing:

There is nothing that can be done about this, INFPs just live in their own world most of the time. I'm not disagreeing with what he observed, although I am disagreeing with each and every interpretation of it, including the "modes", which aren't indicative of INFJ behaviour but rather INFP behaviour. He is projecting his own cognitive processes onto another type. It happens.

The detachment is quite real, though not as he described it. And your own take on it seems a very healthy choice towards development to me. :)

You see Ginny, that's the 'missing puzzle' for me - I admit that I don't know that much about his personality type so I couldn't really tell where it is just an observation and where projection starts...
I also wasn't very fond of his 'modes' but I thought it is just my personal perspective. Because myself, I actually struggle with being too open with people, sharing too much too early - not being so guarded, as how he describes it.
But as I said, I could really related to being detached and focusing more on ideas and abstract concepts instead of appreciating real tangible things.
Overall, it is still interesting to me to listen to how other people see us, even if their perception is maybe a bit bias ;)

You see Ginny, that's the 'missing puzzle' for me - I admit that I don't know that much about his personality type so I couldn't really tell where it is just an observation and where projection starts...
Overall, it is still interesting to me to listen to how other people see us, even if their perception is maybe a bit bias ;)
It is indeed fun to learn what others think about one type, as you learn more about them in return.

It was actually most visible to me in the way he described the fantasy mode. The way he described it, it wasn't the usual Ni-Ti loop that we experience - which is just us in our heads thinking -, it was rather the INFP's use of Fi-Si with Ne mixed in, which is kind of like a tertiary loop as well, but with input from the ideation function Ne. They are more capable of getting lost in memories and making up worlds of their own. If an INFJ did that, it is almost always with a darker twist or a "what if" in the back of our minds. We use Ne mostly to plan ahead for contingencies that might occur.

There is nothing that can be done about this, INFPs just live in their own world most of the time. I'm not disagreeing with what he observed, although I am disagreeing with each and every interpretation of it, including the "modes", which aren't indicative of INFJ behaviour but rather INFP behaviour. He is projecting his own cognitive processes onto another type. It happens.

The detachment is quite real, though not as he described it. And your own take on it seems a very healthy choice towards development to me. :)

I agree. He is projecting. He is observing who we are and misinterpreting it.

Everyone fantasizes about something in their life but I most certainly don't get lost in them. I'm probably the biggest pragmatist and realist you will ever meet as I see la Tèrre derriere de la vôile, the world behind the curtain. Now since my divorce I've started to create my own comfort zone at home and I've mostly stopped trying to make others happy, time for me to focus on myself.

It's nice to know what other type perspective about us. Everyone has their own fantasy, yet this is more INF tendencies.

His breakdown for the INFJ cognitive functions is interesting. I only have some liiiitle biiit ticks with how sometimes he kinda put INFJ in a box of defense mode.

Rather than being lost in a fantasy world I will say that the world is lost inside the matrix where the lives of people are fantasies revolving around doing or obtaining something for little or no purpose. Are we lost inside ourselves or are we lost inside the matrix is the matrix lost inside something else beyond the here and now...

Rather than being lost in a fantasy world I will say that the world is lost inside the matrix where the lives of people are fantasies revolving around doing or obtaining something for little or no purpose. Are we lost inside ourselves or are we lost inside the matrix is the matrix lost inside something else beyond the here and now...

No it's just you. You're very lost in reality.

His video is funny. "Fantasyland" can happen to anyone, but as an INFJ, it certainly doesn't take me away from reality as much as he portrays. Yes, I'm a goofball, but I stay in reality. I can only daydream if I give myself permission to, and that's not often.

So... that is what a "P" is, huh? LOL.

Come on INFPs are more prone to Fantasy World than us. And we usually only go their before bed time at night.

See this guy's second part on it. It just keep getting inaccurate (read worse)

Hi, I made this video. I don't think I am projecting all that much! All of my observations are behavior and patterns that I have directly observed from one of my closest INFJ friends. He was unhealthy at the time, so maybe the "modes" are a bit exaggerated (honestly if I were to re-do this video, I wouldn't include anything about "modes") and strictly my own interpretation, but I dont think they are my projection of what I feel and experience. Because I am not like that at all when I go about in my day. Anyway, I hastily wrote down my notes for that video and really wish I used more accurate examples rather than my own personal observations. However, I believe my observations give my videos an authentic feeling and makes them stand out from the countless other videos of people reading stuff from a website.

Reactions: Ren