Anyone play Mandolin?

DevilDoll

Beware! I Bite...
Dec 6, 2009
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have decided to buy myself a mandolin. It was between that an a banjo. I figure I'll start with the mandolin, though. Seems to be a bit more simple. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone around here played one and if they had tips on picking it up. Is it hard to learn? Can I teach myself? you know... the general questions. :p

Thanks!

This, perhaps...?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbsKmYo4zU"]YouTube - How to Play the Mandolin : How to Play the Two String Shuffle on the Mandolin[/ame]

Reactions: DevilDoll
Well, I've played a few other instruments, so while I can't really relate how difficult it is to learn, I can say that if this is your first instrument it'll be difficult to get started by yourself (but you can do it).

You'll also want to find out from somewhere which basic techniques are important and which are open to interpretation. It's probably not nearly as important on mandolin as violin, but there are lots of things which people learn wrong (and make playing the instrument unnecessarily difficult). If it's anything like the piano, the basic mechanics will be pretty straightforward.

I'd also recommend videotaping yourself and comparing your style to experts you want to emulate. Unlearning bad habits gets hard if you play wrong for a long time. Anyway, I hope that helps and maybe someone who has played the mandolin can give more specific tips.

Well, I've played a few other instruments, so while I can't really relate how difficult it is to learn, I can say that if this is your first instrument it'll be difficult to get started by yourself (but you can do it).

You'll also want to find out from somewhere which basic techniques are important and which are open to interpretation. It's probably not nearly as important on mandolin as violin, but there are lots of things which people learn wrong (and make playing the instrument unnecessarily difficult). If it's anything like the piano, the basic mechanics will be pretty straightforward.

I'd also recommend videotaping yourself and comparing your style to experts you want to emulate. Unlearning bad habits gets hard if you play wrong for a long time. Anyway, I hope that helps and maybe someone who has played the mandolin can give more specific tips.

This is not my first instrument. I took 7 years of classical piano as a child, picked up hand bells, clarinet, and guitar over the years... None of which I really enjoyed. I have more than a basic knowledge of music theory, so the basic notes, chords, and rhythms should not be an issue. I am more worried about the coordination it takes. That was my problem with the guitar, but I figure with a smaller neck It should be easier with my tiny hands.

Last edited:
I've never played the mandolin, but I can't imagine it being that much different to a guitar.

Akira Yamaoka through the power of Silent Hill takes mandolins to a whole new level.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuQeuUbKY8"]YouTube - Silent Hill 3 OST - Hometown[/ame]

This is not my first instrument. I took 7 years of classical piano as a child, picked up hand bells, clarinet, and guitar over the years... None of which I really enjoyed. I have more than a basic knowledge of musical theater, so the basic notes, chords, and rhythms should not be an issue. I am more worried about the coordination it takes. That was my problem with the guitar, but I figure with a smaller neck It should be easier with my tiny hands.

I think coordination just takes time and practice, though I'm only projecting from different instruments and you know at least as much about what you're doing as I do, probably more.

I'm curious. What about the mandolin do you think is different that you would like about it?

I think coordination just takes time and practice, though I'm only projecting from different instruments and you know at least as much about what you're doing as I do, probably more.

I'm curious. What about the mandolin do you think is different that you would like about it?

I really enjoy the sound of it. I absolutely adore people singing with acoustic mandolin. I don't know what makes it register different than a guitar in my mind, but it does. I am hoping it'll be easier for me to play than the guitar because it is a smaller instrument and will be more suited to my smaller hands.