rawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2010
Earth
MBTI
IxTP
Enneagram
human
do you see yourself as being a largely analytical person?
how does this play out if you do?
potential benefits and disadvantages of being rather analytical?

discuss, or something...

- yes, i'm naturally curious i think. asking a ton of questions here on the forum about how things work or how do they mean probably confirms it

- see above.

- benefits - think through things carefully / disadvantage - overanalyze or overly critical of ideas or people; overthinking things

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr
Yes, but it get out of control and cross to the dark side:)

"Luke, I am your father, buaaaa!"

Yes, I find myself analyzing everything. I often look for patterns, elements and connections.

With people its often through distance observation. Everything else I tend to get very close up to, I have been scolded at in art galleries for sticking my nose up against paintings while analyzing the painting technique and colours used. With films its often me rewinding and repeating scenes, looking at overall detail. And with music its repeating and carefully listening to each element and painting a mental structure in my mind on how the music fits together.

Advantages: It allows you to look at something more indepthly and gain a better understanding.
It allows for you to spot imperfections and with that knowledge, come up with improvements.

Disadvantages: It can disattach you from the world and the big picture, it can also make you over critical when it comes to details (especially if you have a perfectionists streak).

I am autistic, so being analytical is the norm for me.

Last edited:
I can be analytical. That doesn't mean I'm infallible or that I do it all the time.

The main concern is that if you do it too much, you can kind of dig yourself into a pit of confusion. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though!

:mhula:

discuss, or something...

Very much so.

I'm not exactly sure how to answer your second question. I guess you could say that this means I always ask myself why and how. I like figuring out puzzles. Especially people, cultures and social dynamics.

Being analytical is my primary and first defensive mechanism.

If I understand it I can deal with it, I can work with it, rather than be affected by it.

For example, my father has a mild form of autism, which removes him from normal human interactions. Once I learned that, and understood that, his inability to deal with a change in his routine no longer was something that upset me.

When the whole family got together and people wanted to go out to eat and he refused to go, at first, and then once there, refused to eat anything, sitting there with a dark cloud of resentment hanging over his head because he wanted something very specific from someplace else nobody wanted to go to, I could feel compassion for him, rather than get upset that he was spoiling everyone's mood over something seemingly trivial.

I can be quite analytical. I am always assessing the situation for pros and cons, whenever there is a decision to be made. I watch a movie and I am analyzing character interactions, character development, the plot unfolding, etc.

I don't stop analyzing the information I receive. When I am scrutinizing something, I always look for patterns, and try to predict the outcomes of possible scenarios and what factors in.

I don't think there's anything I do passively, except maybe when I go to the gym or talk with a loved one. But when it comes to the external world, I like to see the connections behind everything.

There can disadvantages; you can sometimes lose the big picture trying to analyze every little detail. Sometimes, there is too much questioning than necessary and it stops you from moving forward.

And there are something you can't understand even if you analyze them, and that gets frustrating sometimes. :p

My first instinct was to analyze exactly what you meant by that, lol. I suppose I am analytical, but not all the time. Greatly depends on the context.

I can be analytical. That doesn't mean I'm infallible or that I do it all the time.

same here and i think as with anything else, theres a time and a place for everything. usually being analytical is a secondary option for me when im trying to understand something, not usually my first choice which is more go with the flow gut instinct sort of thing.

Uh, no.
*laughs*

First line of defense and offense. I Think, therefore I Am Not Amused...