An Indecent Proposal, Revisited

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The proposal is this: Someone is going to pay you one million dollars. You have access to a private jet to take you anywhere you want to go. You will have free health care for you and your family with any physician you choose. You can also have access to housekeepers, personal shoppers, babysitters, personal trainers, and nutritionists whenever you want. Your quality of life can essentially stay the same, or improve.

The caveat?

You have to gain 150 pounds and stay that size for the rest of your life.

Would you do it? Why or why not?:m123:

Muscle weights more than fat. And I could stand to gain a little of both.

Heck yes! :D

That's more than me x 2 :sidewayslook:

No, I wouldn't. Weight and health are related, $1m is not enough for me to stop working for the rest of my life and all of those things that I would be able to have access to I already do if I want.

Health, and weight, affect my motivation, happiness and quality of life. The healthier I am the better I feel. Money isn’t fair compensation for feeling crap for the rest of my life.

That would more than double my weight too. Actually, I don't think it'd be physically possible for me to put that much on - let alone gain 50 lbs! ;)

It's possible...but you probably have to be pretty darned diligent.

And as you said, Milon, muscle weighs more than fat. You could be a sumo wrestler or a champion weight lifter and have that gain. And you have personal trainers to keep you healthy and a nutritionist, so you don't need to eat junk to gain.

Point of fact: Sumo wrestlers don't eat junk food. How do they get so big? Mostly it's because their first meal is eaten at noon, and they immediately nap after eating. But their diet is quite healthy - full of veggies and protein and carbs.

Albeit in large portions. :p

One million dollars is not enough money to buy a mountain!

Offer refused.

One million dollars is not enough money to buy a mountain!

Offer refused.

Ahh, but you have all those extra perks! Travel, personal trainers, nutritionists, health care...those can add up, too.
:D

No way, that's not that far off triple my weight if i had put 150 pounds on. I like being slim and being able to exercise and do my own stuff. D:

Gaining 150 pounds would put me well into the morbidly obese category, and I doubt I would be able to move well enough to make good use of the private jet. No deal.

Ahh, but you have all those extra perks! Travel, personal trainers, nutritionists, health care...those can add up, too.
:D

D:

I want a mountain, solitary confinement, and food dropped off to the top of the mountain once every month. I'll read books. I won't work or talk to anyone. I'm not keen on anything else- especially some guy/gal running around the house all the time when I am trying to read, telling me to exercise or eat large quantities or this all gets taken away. How do I blackmail the person who's offering 1million dollars to give me a couple billion that I can invest in order to make more money?

Last edited:
Uh, no. Call me vain, but my body is not only my temple, but my greatest triumph. I worked my butt off to get where I am now, and getting into shape took care of half of my self-esteem problems (shallow though it may be). Gaining more than just half my body weight would be like wiping one of my proudest accomplishments off the map.

Besides, a one time installment of 1 million dollars, after taxes, and jetplane maintenance, and paying the staff, there wouldn't be much left over. Plus, it wouldn't even be enough to do anything worthwhile with it.

*wince* I totally trampled over that one, didn't I?

Last edited:
D:

I want a mountain, solitary confinement, and food dropped off to the top of the mountain once every month. I'll read books. I won't work or talk to anyone. I'm not keen on anything else- especially some guy/gal running around the house all the time when I am trying to read, telling me to exercise or eat large quantities or this all gets taken away. How do I blackmail the person who's offering 1million dollars to give me a couple billion that I can invest in order to make more money?

LOL! Good point. :)

On a six-foot frame, sure. But when you're around 5'2" to 5'3", it just doesn't work. (The person in the article is a mere 200 pounds.)

Not necessarily...the woman in that article I referenced was 5'2" and 200 pounds and about as flexible as a yoga instructor, and I think she was perfectly healthy according to all her medical reports. She was also a great deal heavier before...But I know what you're saying.

The main problem, in my opinion, is the sedentary lifestyle coupled with junk food. It doesn't matter how much you weigh - if you're sedentary and you eat junk, you will eventually have health issues.

On a six-foot frame, sure. But when you're around 5'2" to 5'3", it just doesn't work. (The person in the article is a mere 200 pounds.)

Agreed. ^^

And no deal for me. My husband on the other hand would gladly take the deal.

Uh, no. Call me vain, but my body is not only my temple, but my greatest triumph. I worked my butt off to get where I am now, and getting into shape took care of half of my self-esteem problems (shallow though it may be). Gaining more than just half my body weight would be like wiping one of my proudest accomplishments off the map.

Besides, a one time installment of 1 million dollars, after taxes, and jetplane maintenance, and paying the staff, there wouldn't be much left over. Plus, it wouldn't even be enough to do anything worthwhile with it.

*wince* I totally trampled over that one, didn't I?

I don't think that's shallow personally, I feel a similar way. You should be proud!

the answers were really:m146: funny
i would :m051:refuse too because I wouldn't be able to do ballet or do contemporary dances or whatever dances if I would be that fat or if it's muscle weight, i would be too muscle-y

that's just a super no for me and for the ballet world or wtvr

if the world was full of fat people and being slim is :mlove2: abnormal.. then I would take:m172: that offer.. i wonder what I would look like...... :m130: considering i'm just 4'10

that would be soooo funny!!!! maybe i would look like a bouncing ballerina.. or even the ball that people use in yoga hahahahaha

Last edited:
150 pounds of muscle sure, that would make me 300 pounds.

It's only shallow if we choose to let our perceptions cloud our judgments rather than searching for the truth. Truthfully, I think it's a wise plan to consider all things in moderation. If the answer were asked of me? I'd probably say no. Not because I couldn't or that it squicks me or I'd lose my quality of life, but simply because I wouldn't be me and I'd end up sedentary (I know me too well!).

But for others, maybe the truth is we have misconceived ideas about what is healthy vs. what is unhealthy, and we need to revisit those myths. Is it that obesity itself is unhealthy, or is it because we're not exercising and we're eating junk all day?

What if it was only 50 pounds? Twenty-five? Ten? Oh, sure, ten...but if the question is visual versus truth, then what are we saying about ourselves, and those around us?

More thoughts.

ETA: Also? Here's another thought in the extra 150lbs...one health official actually says being 150 lbs overweight equals the same health risks as someone who is a light smoker. Dunno if it's true, but it's something else to ponder. See forward (xi)

Last edited: