An afternoon with the NYPD | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

An afternoon with the NYPD

Wait. Is ID compulsory in the states?

And they say the UK is run by Big Brother...

I actually think it's kind of rediculous that states don't have the ID law where you must show it upon request. I mean, really. All it is an ID.

I actually think it's kind of rediculous that states don't have the ID law where you must show it upon request. I mean, really. All it is an ID.

[MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION]; these laws, or the absence of them, probably has a history reaching back to the use of ID information in countries such as Germany, Italy, and America during the Second World War.

The way that would play out is if for example you match the description of a suspect, if you don't show ID you will be arrested until they figure out who you are. But refusing to show ID wouldn't be unlawful, so you wouldn't get jailtime or anything for that per se. If you do show ID, and it turns out you're not who they're looking for, you can be on your way. Not requiring someone to show ID just prevents police abuse, it doesn't aid in criminal activity.

I don't like the idea of having to keep a physical object on me at all times. These days names can be checked and cross referrenced without the need to carry a card. All I should need to carry an ID for is to prove that I've had special training (driver's ID, police badge, ect) or to allow me to cross country borders.

In fact even driver's licences are going out of date now.