Am I a 1w9 or a 4w3? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Am I a 1w9 or a 4w3?

My personal pet peeve is mostly when people take one of the functions-based systems and adhere to the rules too blindly -- after all, there are lots of competing theories for a reason. At the least, one has to justify why one takes the interpretation one does with a lot of seriousness or simply refrain from making too strong a claim.
This includes when newcomers are told (somewhat snobbily by the somewhat more initiated) of course the auxiliary is in the opposite attitude to the dominant, you're making a rookie mistake!
While that may be the theory one adheres to, it's a matter of raging discussion and ought to be presented as such.
It was indeed a mistake I made when I was a rookie. Now I'm hopefully merely rusty in academic speech. I am however less invested in arguing or being right. I know less than I know to not know, if that makes sense, and open to discussing within different terms, so long as the terms are made clear.

That I favour a specific MBTI-model is deviating from the topic at hand, but I felt it contextually relevant to illustrate my own position so whatever information is deemed worthy of consuming can be taken from it.

I feel you are inclusive of the different models at hand, without bias (or with very little) towards either, whereas my quest is to find an inclusive model for all the models. It's probably an extension of the E1, trying to find "the one right answer" when there are already several answers, all correct in their own right. It's most likely a fruitless endeavour, but it's on my mind whenever I am confronted with it.

I might have overstated my dislike for the dichotomies-model in both MBTI (and the Big 5 for that matter) for the sake of brevity. In certain situations I just don't find it as helpful, and it's an expression of my frustration at the limitations presented. I am sorry for hitting a sensitive spot.

I do think we are deviating quite a bit from the topic at hand, which I tried to get at by reintroducing a connection to Enneagram.

Does the prior analysis indicate that there is a mistype somewhere due to statistical likelihood of type occurrence? Like I said before, I'm not quite ready to rule anything out.

Why I think I maybe Type 4:
  1. I tend to ruminate on my purpose and identity in this world. Not so much who I am at my core (I honestly don't know/understand that) but more in how I can justify my existence here.
  2. I'm in touch with my feelings particularly in generating feelings of heroism/triumph. I listen to the Halo OST in order to feel this.
  3. I usually question my actions/work based off my initial judgement of them from an internal value system (maybe a 1 trait??). I usually have to feel like what I'm doing matters in the grand scheme of things.
  4. I can be emotionally incontinent and have broken down emotionally before. Been very reactive and vengeful in the past.
  5. I can be sensitive to people's demeanor at work (can't stand it when people are frowning and being sour all the time).
  6. I have a hard time relating to most people with how I think and do things (though I suspect that's my Aspergers?).
  7. I want to be seen as worthy in the eyes of people I respect (like my BJJ instructor, after being singled out for coming in late).
Why I think I maybe Type 1:
  1. I'm highly perfectionistic with high standards for myself and those around me. I have a hard time tolerating degeneracy.
  2. I strive to fulfill some kind of sacred duty/purpose. I try and justify my existence here by dedicating myself to a trade/vocation that is of value and can be of use to people (questioning whether this is a 4 trait or a 1 trait??).
  3. I question my identity (4s are known for having a strong sense of who they are?) and rather justify it through action than simply being.
  4. I can't make autonomous decisions unless the rules clearly state otherwise.
  5. I strive to be a moral, competent and reliable man despite my flaws and shortcomings.
  6. I've always seen things in black and white. When I was a hardcore Christian in my earlier days, I tried forcing my mother and friends to convert in order to save them from Hell.
  7. Love order and structure in my day (I don't always get that but when I do, it feels comforting and motivating).
  8. I constantly question whether what I said/did was the right thing. Very self critical.

I would go for type 4, though more likely 4w5 (tritype 416).

The reason being that the traits in the first list seem to map roughly well onto Type 4, whereas for the traits in the second list, the mapping is underdetermined. It could be Type 1, but it could also be neuroticism, Asperger's, or something else.

I see nothing in the second list that strictly mismatches with Type 4. Finally, there is the fact (already mentioned) that INFP 1 is extremely unlikely.

Reactions: John K
Ginny said:
I feel you are inclusive of the different models at hand, without bias (or with very little) towards either, whereas my quest is to find an inclusive model for all the models.

It's true I don't really prefer one of the existing models over the others; if I seek a "best one," it's mostly that I try to put together what works from each of them and add in my own ideas that seem relevant. In that sense, I am actually quite attracted to the inclusive model thing; I try to see what core idea all the models get at and if there's a way of taking the best from each.

In the end, it ends up being that I think there are deeper interpretations than others, but not always one I feel sure is the absolute best in all ways. (Probably it's that I have ennea-1 influence, but not core.)
The way 6-1 works to me is 1 serves as auxiliary -- if something isn't the best you can doubt it. So there's an attraction to seeking the best. On the other hand, there's enough doubting energy that I probably often end up weighing a long list of arguments and not selecting a best; however, I do seem to end up finding some interpretations to just be overall inferior.
I think I have all the idealism of a 1 but presumably more of a head than gut energy to me -- in me the idealism only leads to further questioning in a lot of cases rather than putting the best way into action.

Last edited:
Reactions: John K
Wew, there's a lot to read, lol. I might read all of this later, but I'm pretty certain I am a Type 6w5, which is not uncommon for INFPs. Thanks for the content, friends :)

Reactions: John K and Ren
Wew, there's a lot to read, lol. I might read all of this later, but I'm pretty certain I am a Type 6w5, which is not uncommon for INFPs. Thanks for the content, friends :)

That makes sense indeed. Glad you found your answer :)

That makes sense indeed. Glad you found your answer :)
You beat me to it Ren :) - just to endorse this too @Griffinheart, bearing in mind that it's without a lot of information about how you come over in practice.