All the jobs I have gotten were through men! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

All the jobs I have gotten were through men!

acd, I feel like the service industry is different. In academia, there are very few jobs available and competition is stiff. In the service industry, you don´t have to compete with 400 applicants for one job so it is easier for people to help each other land jobs.

All the jobs I've gotten have been through white people.

:popcorn:
giphy.gif

I'm not sure that it is something that needs to be worried about much. Sure, there are perhaps reasons for you being chosen before others, but that needn't mean that the motives weren't true and honourable. There just aren't that many women in academia (depending on the specific field, idk which one you're in), so it might really be that you were the most suitable candidate and that the people were male pure coincidence.

I come from the field of human sciences, where there are probably even more women than men in the field proper, but still there are more men in higher positions. It could just be that women are more comfortable staying in lower positions (lol, who am I kidding?), or that they have a harder time ascending on the career ladder due to being thrown back through having to take breaks when they have children etc.

There are multiple reasons for why, but unless you ask everyone (which I don't think you are inclined to do, hardly anyone would be), you won't know for sure.

Reactions: Reason
I've worked in environments that are male dominated as well as some that were hat fe dominated. I've never worked with multiple women who weren't at each other's throats. As illustrated by @acd's experience though, this is not always the case. Some environments are cooperative others are pressure cookers ready to blow.

Reactions: Wyote and Ginny
She could be doing things (whether consciously or not) that are more noticeable or otherwise appealing to men's attentions. This is not meant to insinuate anything overtly sexual in nature. OP has mentioned that she used to have more difficulty getting along with women than men, and that married men frequently hit on her.

The silver lining to this story is that at the rate that men are dropping out of college, there will come a time when the number of male colleagues a woman could have would be severely limited!

Then it'll be just the women (with only a few men), alone, with each other forever.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Wyote and Ginny
The silver lining to this story is that at the rate that men are dropping out of college, there will come a time when the number of male colleagues a woman could have would be severely limited!

Then it'll be just the women (with only a few men), alone, with each other forever.
giphy.gif
Hell on earth, you might say.

Reactions: Reverist and Wyote
Reactions: Reason
From this moment on you are a rock. You absorb nothing, you say nothing, and nothing breaks you.

But...but rocks break.

But...but rocks break.
It was a pretty insulting comment really. Especially given the term ‘dumb as a rock’. Well done, I say.

I am a professional female in my mid-30s. I have noticed that all the jobs I have gotten have been through men, whether directly or indirectly. I have been recommended for jobs by my (male) network of peers, have actually been hired by committees composed of men, and have had bosses who were men. Never once has a female actually helped me land a job, and I have several women in my network and friendship circles. Am I biased in my vies? Perhaps....I don´t know.

I do wonder though if this is an INFJ thing. Even thought I am introverted, I come across as a dynamic leader, and no, this does not scare men away. The J in my INFJ is very strong. So I am wondering if other INFJs women who are strong Js have had similar experiences in the workplace.

Not to be mean or anything, but perhaps being physically attractive plays a huge role in why you get chosen by men bosses? Also, if that's the case, perhaps we could make an assumption that you have a more difficult time with women because they simply feel intimidated by your presence? That's at least what I think and it happens all the time.

On the other hand, if you're average looking woman, then you might be just overthinking it. You've got what it takes to get the job done and they take you for it. This remind me of a joke:

a woman is going to work by bus and there she sees a beautiful guy close to the window. He has a serious look on his face, so she thinks for herself, " What might he be thinking about? Is he thinking of some important things that he has to attend? Perhaps he has some challenges that he's ready to deal with? Oh his eyes... so beautiful. " And here's what the guy was thinking about: " Shit, I better hurry home because I'm about to CRAP myself! "