Staff member
Administrator
Mar 28, 2009
The North
MBTI
ENFP
Enneagram
947 sx/sp
This is a megathread for AI-generated artworks of any kind. The usual forum rules apply.

AI-generated Nirvana song – “Drowned in the Sun”

input string: “Dead landscape, fire and lava, black volcano, rugged black clouds, ash in the sky, army of orcs gathering below, fantasy book illustration” (i.e., Mordor)

GylL7AP.jpg

vpsB2Ff.jpg

zaR1kUR.jpg

iOtfoHj.jpg

Hu4IOQD.png

Reactions: Jexocuha and Elder
I'm in some of these communities and had early access to the betas. I have a lot to say about this, but whatever.

I am not artistic. I would not put claim to that in terms of technical skill, nor would I say I understand art enough to prompt the AI well. I can't deny the enjoyment of making pretty pictures from words and symbols in my brain, though. I feel like a little kid with a box of fresh crayons and a new coloring book. ☺️

More play! This is more fun than paper dolls - yes, I'm old! (I will move this play to my blog after this one....but, so FUN!)

6KgoClq7WH0s9uof0Pg2.jpg2gFrRowj26rxfYIPCYZs.jpg4ryzk5yRmv9RkcWtuU5L.jpgF2RlLYy0qMaN76ShpelX.jpgDVKt04bNTjM8owOahZfq.jpg0sm1DDxvRAFVEBvzCQRH.jpg

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
input string: asexuality

ufyYINt.png

Reactions: otter and Elder
I, too, am a fan of Zdzisław Beksiński, AI. While I find this trend endlessly fascinating, there's that uncanny valley, pareidolia element to it that makes me fear that artificial minds can tap into our collective unconscious like cyber-hynagogic shaman.
d40da7652fe61aff8b9af867b1354cfc.jpg

4d093212c1ba2d8ed730f27eaebb63ed.jpg

Reactions: Elder and aeon
my prompt: “INFJ angel for aeon style” (Stable Diffusion)

SmnrM5h.jpg

I Don’t Know What to Say,
Ian

Reactions: Elder
I get the creeps from ai generated things for two reasons. Firstly, in anticipation of the possibility that some day there may be true artificial general super intelligence. Such a great intelligence could conceivably hack our neurophysiology and easily manipulate us through seemingly mundane stimuli such as simple shapes embedded in pictures, or a series of tones embedded in music (almost like subliminal messages, but more irresistibly). Secondly, because there's a creepiness to trying to find meaning in randomised things. For example, people who try to find meaning in the casting of dice/runes, in avian behaviour/physiology (augury), from oueja boards, tarot cards, constellations, etc, are essentially superstitious. It seems like a doorway into mental health issues, or occult beliefs. It just seems odd to look at ai generated images for what they are: devoid of intention, sentiment, expression, impression, and artistic awareness.

I get the creeps from ai generated things for two reasons. Firstly, in anticipation of the possibility that some day there may be true artificial general super intelligence. Such a great intelligence could conceivably hack our neurophysiology and easily manipulate us through seemingly mundane stimuli such as simple shapes embedded in pictures, or a series of tones embedded in music (almost like subliminal messages, but more irresistibly). Secondly, because there's a creepiness to trying to find meaning in randomised things. For example, people who try to find meaning in the casting of dice/runes, in avian behaviour/physiology (augury), from oueja boards, tarot cards, constellations, etc, are essentially superstitious. It seems like a doorway into mental health issues, or occult beliefs. It just seems odd to look at ai generated images for what they are: devoid of intention, sentiment, expression, impression, and artistic awareness.

I agree, but I am not worried, because that process has been going on for millenia already, albeit without the abstraction of AI. Also, what AI puts out is hardly random. Given its inputs, and how the networks are trained, it spits back very Western output, and because of who creates these things, the usual bigotry is highly present.

I took some interest in playing with it, but all other things being equal, I was fairly bored after some minutes. It will change things, to be sure, but I think it’s going to be banal for quite some time.

Cheers,
Ian

All of these are some outrageously insane pieces of artwork. A year back, the pinnacle of AI I knew as essay checkers. It was just about checking the basic spacing mistakes and spellings, but generative AI and ChatGPT has just been unbelievable. Who thought you could give prompts and have an entire essay and short story written. However, the flipside of AI(be it generative or these image processing models) are the wastage of precious resources.
"According to a recent report by the Associated Press, AI systems like ChatGPT cause data centers to consume about 500 milliliters of water each time a user poses 5 to 50 prompts or questions. Considering that the chatbot has been the fastest-growing tech site visited on earth since the creation of the internet, that's not an insignificant amount of water, prompting experts and environmentalists to ring alarm bells.

ChatGPT's trained its GPT-4 models on data centers located near corn fields west of Des Moines, Iowa, the report notes, where water from the Raccoon and Des Moines rivers is used. “It (GPT-4) was made by these extraordinary engineers in California, but it was really made in Iowa,” Microsoft’s president, Brad Smith said according to AP.

Since then, the AI revolution has required more water to run its power-hungry hardware —both to power them up and to cool them down. According to official reports, Microsoft's water consumption spiked 34 percent from 2021 to 2022, likely driven by AI-related computing demands. Google, its main competitor, reported a 20% growth in water consumption during the same period."
- https://decrypt.co/155965/artificial-intelligence-water-use-data-centers.

• Cool
Reactions: aeon