A tale of 2 Wolves | INFJ Forum

A tale of 2 Wolves

sookie

On Holiday
Oct 29, 2009
MBTI
INFX

I got this from Religious Tolerance.org

A man told his grandson: "A terrible fight is going on inside me -- a fight between two wolves. One is evil, and represents hate, anger, arrogance, intolerance, and superiority . The other is good, and represents joy, peace, love, tolerance, understanding, humility, kindness, empathy, generosity, and compassion. This same fight is going on inside you, inside every other person too."

The grandson then asked: "Which wolf will win?" The old man replied simply: "The one you feed." - Anon.

I read this once on a sheet of paper that my younger brother brought home from school! I loved it so much that I read it over a couple of times, actually. It tells you that it's okay to have feelings of anger or bitterness and that it's normal, but that you don't have to let it overpower you. It really struck a chord with me at the time...

I am glad that this resonated with you. I think that this is so relevant. I need to keep this in mind everyday!

A man told his grandson: "A terrible fight is going on inside me -- a fight between two wolves. One is evil, and represents hate, anger, arrogance, intolerance, and superiority . The other is good, and represents joy, peace, love, tolerance, understanding, humility, kindness, empathy, generosity, and compassion. This same fight is going on inside you, inside every other person too."

The grandson then asked: "Which wolf will win?" The old man replied simply: "The one you feed." - Anon.

Awesome!

No, the one that is hungrier will win.

Interesting distinctions

I have this inner fight everyday inside of me. Who will ultimately win?

Great post Sookie!

Yes, duality in us exists. However, the specific angle of each personal duality is different. Our conscious choices are between the two wolves. We have forgotten, usually, how the two wolves even appeared. Instead of these two wolves, could have been a slightly different pair.
No, the one that is hungrier will win.
Isn't that the same?

I am using something now: Be hungry for win and be humble with everyone.

Isn't that the same?

No it is the opposite. The one you ignore will win, or it could be read as the wolf that wants it more will win.

No it is the opposite. The one you ignore will win, or it could be read as the wolf that wants it more will win.
I meant that the hungrier one will make you feed it. In general, I think in battle the animal that has eaten is stronger than the animal that is hungry. The hungry animal may be more aggressive, but is weaker still.

And the other reason to say that it's the same is that even if it was the opposite, then again the decision which one to feed would detemine which one wins, hence it's all in your hands - as is the story supposed to teach.

I think the story suggests that we are able to change our thought patterns.

For example if I am angry at someone for doing something bad, whenever I dwell in that anger I am feeding that wolf and that state of mind will be easier and more natural for me to fall into later. (Neuropsychologists will agree on this.) However, if I consiously try to leave the anger behind by analyzing it and thinking good thoughts about that person, then I am changing my thought patterns - feeding another wolf.

The point of the story, as I interpret it, is that the more you feed one of the wolves the stronger it will get (and the more food it will be asking for), but you also, even if it may not be obvious, have the power to choose which wolf to feed.

I meant that the hungrier one will make you feed it. In general, I think in battle the animal that has eaten is stronger than the animal that is hungry. The hungry animal may be more aggressive, but is weaker still.

And the other reason to say that it's the same is that even if it was the opposite, then again the decision which one to feed would detemine which one wins, hence it's all in your hands - as is the story supposed to teach.

To understand what I meant, you have to imagine yourself on a football team. In this context the coach will tell you that you have to be hungry to win. Meaning you have to want it.

I'm not sure that wolves fight to eat each other, but we are getting into unimportant details, I guess. :)

If we just look at it as this language expression of hungry, not literally, then I understand it.

some one called me? wheres another wolf? we gotta spar just for fun here. then there would be a tale of the two wolves HAHAHAHA

on a more serious note, I'm with the saying. though I feed both. both within me are good friends and take turn to own the rest of the people around me ;)

Grey Wolf perhaps we should call this a "Tail of Two Wolves." ;)

It amazes me how the idea of two paths, or two ways, or (in this case) two interior factions occurs and reoccurs in various cultures across time.