Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Welcome. Lay down your spears and swords, and gather 'round the fire. This is a discussion with no accusations, no condemnation, and no otherism. We are equals here. Please honor each other as such. If you don't understand a person's choices, ask to learn more. This thread is an inspiration, support, and discussion thread to help us all figure out how we can be of service.

Many claim a life of service is the most fulfilling. Many theologies claim being of service brings us closer to god. Giving and helping others is a virtue. It's easy to think, talk, and preach but ideas and words are not actions. How do you actively turn your energy to others? How do you help make the world a better place? How do you live a life of service? How do you want to live a life of service? What are your future plans, and how do you need help implementing them? How does being of service make your life better? Does it make you happier? Do you feel fulfilled? Do you think being of service gives life greater meaning?

The #1 rule in this thread: Be supportive!

– Volunteering at a shelter, nonprofit, library, or church.
– Volunteer or donate services.
– Working a job that helps society, animals, or the planet (ex: medical, teaching, theology, ecology, science, childcare, eldercare, veterinary, animal rehab, therapist, counselor, public office.)
– Helping friends and family.
– Cooking for the homeless, or providing clothing, shelter, hygiene kits, and other goods.
– Cooking for relatives, seniors, neighbors, travelers, etc.
– Volunteering to do odd jobs, chores, errands, etc, for community seniors.
– Doctors Without Borders
– Sharing skills at a workshop.
– Send cards to people/kids in the hospital.
– Toy drives.
– Give blood or plasma.
– Mentoring or joining a mentoring program.
– Helping at-risk children or teens.
– Fostering children.
– Listening.
– Babysitting.
– Donating.
– Hosting a helpful Youtube channel (such as "Dad How Do I?")
– Attending events for men to act as father figures for boys, such as "Breakfast With Dads".
– Volunteering at a hotline.
– Lifestyle choices.
– Offering service through creativity (via personal work, donated time, or beautifying your city, etc.)
– Please add more ideas and goals!!!

This thread is PAX.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L thread @Asa!

I understand that any theology - or philosophy minded with the purpose to make the world a better place - needs to be impactful within the person who profess that faith or adherence to the thinking current. So, once it make me a better person, it will reflect in person around me, in the place I live!

Volunteering is a great way to spread the feeling of gratitude, generally gettered when you pass for a enlightenment or a growth process. I remember a video from Jocko Willink where he uses this approach: "If you didn't found your purpose in life yet, try to help people. There are people needing help in every place! It will help you to find purpose." Or something like that (I can find and post here latter).

I occasionally donate money when I see something pop up. I try to keep to one time donations because there's so much to donate to. Right now the amount is small but once I get another job I might donate more. When I was living in the city I often gave a few bucks to homeless people who lived in my area that I passed by.

Doing volunteer work sounds worthwhile. I did it at a couple of places for a while because I had to as part of a college course (and occasionally because my parents signed me up for stuff, hah), but I might look back into it (also, on a side note, it's because of those donations that I know Ward's Island/Randall's Island exists and I'm so glad I do).

Last year I discovered one girl, acquaintance and colleague, is suffering in a cancer treatment. Her liver is compromised. She is unemployed since 2016. Her bank trying to sequestrate her apartment. Condo in debt too...
We managed to make a crowd funding campaign and she could pay her debts, assuring her ceiling. Now I'm searching for a Dr to improve her treatment using prolonged intermittent fasting or other therapies, since chemotherapy is being very aggressive to her.
We talk almost every day and I try to give emotional support too.

If you didn't found your purpose in life yet, try to help people.

That's a fantastic line! Helping others is one of the best ways to give meaning to life.
Personally, I need to do more of it.

I try to keep to one time donations because there's so much to donate to.

I keep a donation budget and decide which organizations or people get that money ahead of time. I don't give to random causes people spring on me. I also try to keep a budget to donate to friends and acquaintances who have emergencies. It's a little weird, but it keeps me disciplined so I don't overdo it. (This is why I only have one type of dog and one color cat – so I have discipline and don't rescue them all. I want to rescue them all, but that isn't wise.)

(also, on a side note, it's because of those donations that I know Ward's Island/Randall's Island exists and I'm so glad I do).

That's an interesting addition to the thread! We discover new places, people, and things by donating or being of service.

Last year I discovered one girl, acquaintance and colleague, is suffering in a cancer treatment. Her liver is compromised. She is unemployed since 2016. Her bank trying to sequestrate her apartment. Condo in debt too...
We managed to make a crowd funding campaign and she could pay her debts, assuring her ceiling. Now I'm searching for a Dr to improve her treatment using prolonged intermittent fasting or other therapies, since chemotherapy is being very aggressive to her.
We talk almost every day and I try to give emotional support too.

<3 you for this. Offering support is just as important as giving. Sending love to your friend.

You have a huge heart. That always shows here. I appreciate that you exist.
I echo this as well.
And also what he said about your thread Asa <3

Someday I would like helping others overseas. It doesn't fit into my budget or life at the time, and possibly may never happen.
I used to donate a little here or there, and give money to friends who needed it, but not anymore. It's not in my budget.

I like doing small things for people. Like, holding doors open for people, or returning a grocery cart to where it should be. I think sometimes these little things help others feel better, like a little reminder that others care about them.

When I think good thoughts about others I try to let them know. It usually doesn't hurt.

Comforting others or helping trauma survivors put their life back together. It's a very long-term thing but over the span of a decade a few lives have been turned around. There's always more, and it's something I can do without focusing on all day every day, which is very fulfilling for me. It also feels very natural for me.

I help my mum & sis as much as I can. Which often, doesn't feel like enough.

I used to help people manage wrongful persecution in certain countries (through the internet), but that is another life. Someday I may go back to it.

A life of service can be fulfilling, yes.
I would like helping others learn how to understand and love each other. I feel that is urgently needed. There may always be people who can't wrap their head or heart around it, but for others it would be very helpful.

My long-term goals were much more solid when I was little. They've had to adapt a lot and often I feel lost how to implement them.
I also take care of myself as best I can, so that I don't burden others.

I echo this as well.
And also what he said about your thread Asa <3

Someday I would like helping others overseas. It doesn't fit into my budget or life at the time, and possibly may never happen.
I used to donate a little here or there, and give money to friends who needed it, but not anymore. It's not in my budget.

I like doing small things for people. Like, holding doors open for people, or returning a grocery cart to where it should be. I think sometimes these little things help others feel better, like a little reminder that others care about them.

When I think good thoughts about others I try to let them know. It usually doesn't hurt.

Comforting others or helping trauma survivors put their life back together. It's a very long-term thing but over the span of a decade a few lives have been turned around. There's always more, and it's something I can do without focusing on all day every day, which is very fulfilling for me. It also feels very natural for me.

I help my mum & sis as much as I can. Which often, doesn't feel like enough.

I used to help people manage wrongful persecution in certain countries (through the internet), but that is another life. Someday I may go back to it.

A life of service can be fulfilling, yes.
I would like helping others learn how to understand and love each other. I feel that is urgently needed. There may always be people who can't wrap their head or heart around it, but for others it would be very helpful.

My long-term goals were much more solid when I was little. They've had to adapt a lot and often I feel lost how to implement them.
I also take care of myself as best I can, so that I don't burden others.

Dear @Winterflowers , Thank you!

All your actions are priceless, so you don't need to mind in help with your budget. It's clear to me that once this moment passes, you will do it!
If I could tell you one thing will be: you're a so talented person! I'm sure that you will manage to overcome your present difficulties. If you need to talk about, to brainstorming or unburden, count on me.

@Winterflowers – This sounds like a lifestyle to me. You're helpful by default. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to be of service or do anything grand. Small, everyday acts matter. The nature of service work is to believe one needs to do more no matter how much you're doing, too.

I think it is possible to find a way to help overseas in the future and make a big impact in that way. A friend who has spent his vacation time volunteering at a non-profit for children in India for over a decade comes to mind. There are organizations in every country that need that kind of attention, so if you ever felt the urge, you could do it locally, too. There is something to be said about helping others as you wander the globe. <3

Dear @Winterflowers , Thank you!

All your actions are priceless, so you don't need to mind in help with your budget. It's clear to me that once this moment passes, you will do it!
If I could tell you one thing will be: you're a so talented person! I'm sure that you will manage to overcome your present difficulties. If you need to talk about, to brainstorming or unburden, count on me.
thank you so much *hugs* I really appreciate you!

The nature of service work is to believe one needs to do more no matter how much you're doing, too.
yes that's very true. There's balance in it. And yes many groups that would accept volunteers. It's something I would like doing someday.

It's easy to think, talk, and preach but ideas and words are not actions. How do you actively turn your energy to others?

I literally just laugh at the idea that we’re all wielding spears and swords and fawn over everyone possessing their moments of pure acceptance and love for one another. I’m not sure if that’s of any service other than existing, but appreciating and being thankful even over those “little” things so that others may feel that way, too, I hope is of service a to them.
If there was something that I had, I’m sure I’d give it away, and starting over from scratch, I’m okay with that now.

I literally just laugh at the idea that we’re all wielding spears and swords and fawn over everyone possessing their moments of pure acceptance and love for one another. I’m not sure if that’s of any service other than existing, but appreciating and being thankful even over those “little” things so that others may feel that way, too, I hope is of service a to them.
If there was something that I had, I’m sure I’d give it away, and starting over from scratch, I’m okay with that now.

You misunderstand me.

I think I do get what you’re saying, I just don’t really have much in me but that right now. Sorry.

my favorite thing to do has always been that though. Just the little things that we take for granted. Being patient or hoping to see someone smile. Those are my favorite things to do for another. I think sometimes we can get so caught up in what we do that we miss out on being ourselves, knowing we’re loved above all of our short comings, that this can be enough.

it hurts when the one you loved doesn’t give it to you or you refused to give it to yourself. And I don’t think I have for a long time.

I think I do get what you’re saying, I just don’t really have much in me but that right now. Sorry.

my favorite thing to do has always been that though. Just the little things that we take for granted. Being patient or hoping to see someone smile. Those are my favorite things to do for another. I think sometimes we can get so caught up in what we do that we miss out on being ourselves, knowing we’re loved above all of our short comings, that this can be enough.

it hurts when the one you loved doesn’t give it to you or you refused to give it to yourself. And I don’t think I have for a long time.

No need to apologize.

Please remember to take care of yourself and give yourself attention.
That cheesy saying "you can't pour from an empty cup" rings true.

How do you actively turn your energy to others? How do you help make the world a better place? How do you live a life of service? How do you want to live a life of service? What are your future plans, and how do you need help implementing them? How does being of service make your life better? Does it make you happier? Do you feel fulfilled? Do you think being of service gives life greater meaning?

Reading this reminds me of an interview question I received: do you have a vision? I sat there smiling, barely batting an eyelid and answered, yes. I do. These things are clear as daylight to me. I have prepared countless power point presentations, written essays on the rationales--- specific, broad or micro--- all for the actualization of bridging academic excellence into the world of practice. Different panels. Different boards. Different mentors but the driving forces have always been kindred. I want to maximize the opportunities of globalization to give rise to my society. My approaches have evolved, but the core principle behind my actions is in the very pursuit of cultivating knowledge to empower. The particularities change, but the impetus remains the same: to teach. Having experienced and witnessed poverty, and having witnessed my mother live an astounding life of service, I understood at an early age that giving wasn't enough. The other must be empowered. People must be made aware of their capability so they can live it. Too often have I watched my countrymen wallow in profound helplessness. I wanted to rebel with them. I wanted them to rebel with me. I wanted to say, no poverty or any such other disadvantage will hinder us from what they enjoy. Even if the privileged are advantaged, we could be equally learned regardless. My mother was driven by the thought of creating opportunities for equality, I am currently -desperately- fanning the dying flames of ardor for people who think so little of their ancestry. I want them to begin to believe that they can rise from the very poverty of their existence. I want them to see that they are stronger than they think they could ever be and that it is never about the color of our skin, or the quality of our English.

I hail from a culture hounded by a victim mentality. Centuries of oppression have broken our sense of value. I've seen too many of my students intimidated by the very values of the west. It truly is intimidating. These western ideals that talk about the formation of the world from their lens and here we are, little brown people wondering what in the world are they even talking about. It is alien to us. It's alien to me. Our ancestors are seen as heroes for simply being able to complete a version of education tailored by the west. My relatives still think anything made off shore is better. God, my society still thinks that rather than embodying standards of excellence, the quickest way to survival is to be offshore. I had to contend with the thought that people from the other side of the world truly had it better. I realized, we're only standing on different mountains. We are equals. You don't know us, either. I wanted my people to see this, but just as I am limited by my very own victim mentality, I am beginning to doubt that we are indeed, equals. Sure, it is not in the color of our skin. The inequality is in the poverty of our mentality.

Embracing a life of service begins with a vocation, but it is voracious. The hardest bit about wanting others to believe in themselves is when they simply do not see themselves. The corruption is not fungus that slowly consumes; the specie is simply weak. We are not all survivalist wildflowers. Does being of service make my life better? No. I am exhausted of having to believe in them for them. Does it make me happier? No. My happiness is selfish. Do I feel fulfilled? Yes. The minute they begin to think they deserve just a tad bit better than the very oppression of our very own countrymen; the minute they speak, my bitterness is justified. Do I think being of service gives life greater meaning? No. It's the loneliest kind of existence.

I wonder, if I was born to the more privileged half of the world, would I even be this hungry? I suppose not. I will most probably be honing my baking skills, hidden from the world, gardening, in silence. There would have been no need to fight. I would have lived. Was I made for service? No. I just had to fight.

Thank you for the space to rant @Asa

Reading this reminds me of an interview question I received: do you have a vision? I sat there smiling, barely batting an eyelid and answered, yes. I do. These things are clear as daylight to me. I have prepared countless power point presentations, written essays on the rationales--- specific, broad or micro--- all for the actualization of bridging academic excellence into the world of practice. Different panels. Different boards. Different mentors but the driving forces have always been kindred. I want to maximize the opportunities of globalization to give rise to my society. My approaches have evolved, but the core principle behind my actions is in the very pursuit of cultivating knowledge to empower. The particularities change, but the impetus remains the same: to teach. Having experienced and witnessed poverty, and having witnessed my mother live an astounding life of service, I understood at an early age that giving wasn't enough. The other must be empowered. People must be made aware of their capability so they can live it. Too often have I watched my countrymen wallow in profound helplessness. I wanted to rebel with them. I wanted them to rebel with me. I wanted to say, no poverty or any such other disadvantage will hinder us from what they enjoy. Even if the privileged are advantaged, we could be equally learned regardless. My mother was driven by the thought of creating opportunities for equality, I am currently -desperately- fanning the dying flames of ardor for people who think so little of their ancestry. I want them to begin to believe that they can rise from the very poverty of their existence. I want them to see that they are stronger than they think they could ever be and that it is never about the color of our skin, or the quality of our English.

I hail from a culture hounded by a victim mentality. Centuries of oppression have broken our sense of value. I've seen too many of my students intimidated by the very values of the west. It truly is intimidating. These western ideals that talk about the formation of the world from their lens and here we are, little brown people wondering what in the world are they even talking about. It is alien to us. It's alien to me. Our ancestors are seen as heroes for simply being able to complete a version of education tailored by the west. My relatives still think anything made off shore is better. God, my society still thinks that rather than embodying standards of excellence, the quickest way to survival is to be offshore. I had to contend with the thought that people from the other side of the world truly had it better. I realized, we're only standing on different mountains. We are equals. You don't know us, either. I wanted my people to see this, but just as I am limited by my very own victim mentality, I am beginning to doubt that we are indeed, equals. Sure, it is not in the color of our skin. The inequality is in the poverty of our mentality.

Embracing a life of service begins with a vocation, but it is voracious. The hardest bit about wanting others to believe in themselves is when they simply do not see themselves. The corruption is not fungus that slowly consumes; the specie is simply weak. We are not all survivalist wildflowers. Does being of service make my life better? No. I am exhausted of having to believe in them for them. Does it make me happier? No. My happiness is selfish. Do I feel fulfilled? Yes. The minute they begin to think they deserve just a tad bit better than the very oppression of our very own countrymen; the minute they speak, my bitterness is justified. Do I think being of service gives life greater meaning? No. It's the loneliest kind of existence.

I wonder, if I was born to the more privileged half of the world, would I even be this hungry? I suppose not. I will most probably be honing my baking skills, hidden from the world, gardening, in silence. There would have been no need to fight. I would have lived. Was I made for service? No. I just had to fight.

Thank you for sharing this "rant" Min, and for opening up. I <3 you and respect you.

Saved data from my mother’s old phone, factory reset performed, then donated the phone to a woman’s shelter today.

Cheers,
Ian