A good person | INFJ Forum

A good person

Agnus

Community Member
Dec 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
How do you understand a concept "good person"?

Why?

Are you a good person?

Why?

What makes you a good person looking through other people understanding?

Why?

I guess that I view a good person as someone that doesn't do things they would not like done to them. They treat others how they would like to be treated. I also believe that a good person strives to better them self.

I am not a good person because I avoid people, I am afraid of social interactions, and these are flaws that need to be corrected.

Why?

I think we all have inherent flaws, and you can tell a person to "be themself." but if a person was always themself and they did not seek to grow, they would be immature and they would not have advanced social skills. This is not always the case, but I find it is true often. I don't know that I will ever be content with not seeking growth.

Are you a good person?

I generally do think that I am a good person, based on my perception, even if I am not always happy with myself.

Why?

Because I match my description of what a good person is.

People see me as a good person because I do not needlessly attack others. I am courteous and I am honest. I am so generous that I am often taken advantage of. I am not comfortable with actions that put others in uncomfortable situations. If I happen to do that, I feel very bad.

Last edited:
1. A good person is a force for good in the world - a person that directs positive energy from the source, through their intentions and actions, back out to other people, creatures and the planet.

2. I try to be. It seems that there is a choice to use source energy for good, corrupt it out of fear or act indifferently out of ignorance. I do all three at times, but my conscious and highest choice would always be for good.

3. You would have to ask them. I am a poor ventriloquist.

How about you, Agnus? :)

How do you understand a concept "good person"? Why?

A good person to me is something like Batman, as long as you answer the searchlight from the city you are good..... which is absolutely ridiculous, why would someone need to fulfill others' expectations to be considered good?

Are you a good person? Why?

Yes I am because I answer to other people's searchlights and expectations. Whoever they expect me to be from their own bias and preconceptions, I become that single image in their mind so they are always right about me.

People dread revelations against their own prejudice, which makes them feel stupid (true), angry, and cheated (absurd). I never let that happen.

I am "that" mental image they expect me to be, so I am unique to everyone who knows me. Yet I am a different person to any friend who knows me (which they don't know except for my closet ones) . If you ask those people about me you will get totally contradictory answers.

But does it have to be fake to be in others' good graces? Maybe, maybe not I have no answer for that but I consider myself just as genuine as any other "me", they are only extensions of what I am capable of as a person, and a person I am.

How do you understand a concept "good person"?Why?

To me a good person is someone who is willing to understand others but understand themselves as well, someone who is aware both eternally and internally. A good person is someone who is not selfish, a good person is kind and compassionate at the same time a good person has healthy self-esteem and has right judgment on when to do things, he or she has good sense of justice but also applies mercy, the person is polite and respectful, the person is humble and modest yet is able to recognize his strenghts and weaknesses and apply them to his or her daily life.

Are you a good person? Why

I do not think I have the right to decide whether I am a good one or not, I try and follow a good moral life, and I considered myself a person always in search for learning, I am constantly trying to improve myself for me and the benefit of others. I think whether or not I am a good person can be defined by me or any other.

Well I cannot offer much input here since I really have not being able to affiliate with mostly anybody, I am still a mistery to many, people do see me as a kind and polite person, and they can depend on me, other times they might think I am a jerk, whatever the case might be is not up to them or myself to define the cncept of a good person.

1. A good person is a force for good in the world - a person that directs positive energy from the source, through their intentions and actions, back out to other people, creatures and the planet.

2. I try to be. It seems that there is a choice to use source energy for good, corrupt it out of fear or act indifferently out of ignorance. I do all three at times, but my conscious and highest choice would always be for good.

3. You would have to ask them. I am a poor ventriloquist.

How about you, Agnus? :)

Thank you for asking :)

In my understanding a good person is the one who is unselfish, honestly cares about other person, who is loyal for wish to give goodness, doesn

I guess that I view a good person as someone that doesn't do things they would not like done to them. They treat others how they would like to be treated. I also believe that a good person strives to better them self.

I am not a good person because I avoid people, I am afraid of social interactions, and these are flaws that need to be corrected.

Why?

I think we all have inherent flaws, and you can tell a person to "be themself." but if a person was always themself and they did not seek to grow, they would be immature and they would not have advanced social skills. This is not always the case, but I find it is true often. I don't know that I will ever be content with not seeking growth.

Are you a good person?

I generally do think that I am a good person, based on my perception, even if I am not always happy with myself.

Why?

Because I match my description of what a good person is.

People see me as a good person because I do not needlessly attack others. I am courteous and I am honest. I am so generous that I am often taken advantage of. I am not comfortable with actions that put others in uncomfortable situations. If I happen to do that, I feel very bad.

I would say that I agree with everything what you've said, except the part "I am not a good person because I avoid people, I am afraid of social interactions, and these are flaws that need to be corrected."

I think, that these "flaws" that you've found in yourself should be more accepted than corrected. Just those flaws has to be noticed from other sides. If you know that you are afraid of people and you live in that fear it is more the position of few doubts in you from where it is difficult to choose the right decision which would make you strong and constructive. Flaw would be something like hidden fear under the anger. It seems that you can justify other, but you are afraid, because you don't know how to find your strength which would make you self-contained. It is like you are hiding the most beautiful part of you under the justifying of others. That shows that you are as much worth of caring as those people for who you are giving your caring. So, you really are a good person. :gossip:

Why?

Agnus is a good person through my eyes.
She is the kind of person that writes famous sayings like:
"...unfortunately I have no talents..."

I really liked that.
Starting from nothing, anything is possible.

How do you understand a concept "good person"? Why?

A good person to me is something like Batman, as long as you answer the searchlight from the city you are good..... which is absolutely ridiculous, why would someone need to fulfill others' expectations to be considered good?

Are you a good person? Why?

Yes I am because I answer to other people's searchlights and expectations. Whoever they expect me to be from their own bias and preconceptions, I become that single image in their mind so they are always right about me.

People dread revelations against their own prejudice, which makes them feel stupid (true), angry, and cheated (absurd). I never let that happen.

I am "that" mental image they expect me to be, so I am unique to everyone who knows me. Yet I am a different person to any friend who knows me (which they don't know except for my closet ones) . If you ask those people about me you will get totally contradictory answers.

But does it have to be fake to be in others' good graces? Maybe, maybe not I have no answer for that but I consider myself just as genuine as any other "me", they are only extensions of what I am capable of as a person, and a person I am.

why would someone need to fulfill others' expectations to be considered good?

That is what I mean. Goodness isn't the same as your need to be understood, goodness is everything in you what can make other person happy. Imagine how wonderful would be possible to live if people naturally wouldn't have their need for them comfort, and they actually would be just giving to other person what that one secretely expects. And if world would work in this way, people would be sad because they couldn't give something to other person and then someone would give that what that one needs (what would be give possibility to give and take goodness) and people would really start to feel actual endless love. :m130:

I don't think there is such thing as a "good person." The closest definition of such a thing is a person who has a high amount of habits that are the best actions, dispositions, and the like that most efficiently achieve that person's goals. A lot of the following opinion has grown from my new familiarity with the Graves Model of Spiral Dynamics. Objective ethics seems to be a level 4 concept, but I think society is capable of promoting from being a level 4/5 society. I'm currently fringe-involved with a group that is trying to foster a bunch of people into 7's, and then get these people to work together and "see what happens." Hopefully this experiment will have a lot of positive benefit.

Objective Ethics?

The whole concept of ethics and morality has come into question for me lately, and I purposely avoid a definition along those lines. It is natural for humans to form a concept of ethics purely due to our psychological natures as mass-social creatures in our current state of sociological evolution. It is not hard to see that ethics is plagued by a question of its objectivity, or lack thereof.

For actions, I can think of no action that is everywhere and at all times "good" or "wrong." Some actions are good only in extreme circumstances, but I can still think of times where it is appropriate or at least blurry to perform that action...even murder, rape, and the actions that generally provoke a visceral reaction of disgust can be justified under some circumstance, albeit an extreme or rare event.

Intuitionistic Ethics

With that in mind, it is extremely hard to sum up a person's entire set of reasoning for performing an action as "good" or "bad." Situations are always complex. Our motivations are always complex. We as people far to often make the mistake of thinking we can explain things simply in such terms like right and wrong without needing to know the whole situation.

For example, I once had a boss that was really rude to customers late for their appointments. They had a difficult time finding the building we were in because it was completely unmarked, the customer was from out of town, and they were about to take a really important test that could determine employment or education for them, so they were under stress. Still, my boss refused to acknowledge the complexity of the situation and instead insisted that they were irresponsible and sometimes stupid people that won't possibly pass their test. Of course she was shown to be wrong more often then not, but still had the arrogance and, honestly, incompetence to assume she could derive their personality from a grossly over simplified model.

With this in mind, you can easily see how fallible we are when judging the rightness or wrongness of actions, even when the actions seem far out there (such as murder or rape). Luckily, all humans are gifted with an strong intuition, and we can very very rapidly and holistically size up a situation and determine a correct response even when not all the variables are consciously accounted for.

Are Killers "Bad" Then?

So what do we do about serial killers, rapists, and people that really do bad things? Of course, their selfish motives are far more common then the circumstance where you have to murder one to save 10,000 scenario. It is really simple to fix this problem: see them as cognitive scientists see the mind and doctors see the body. See them as a machine. Or, more accurately, parts of a machine (the machine of society). They're obviously very broken and dysfunctional parts of that machine, and are working counter to the goals of society and so need to be fixed.

Society

Yes, I did say "counter to the goals of society and so need to be fixed" in that last section. I know it sounds strangely fascist, but it's really not because that's not how it is meant (I abhor fascism and find such governments to be extremely limited and incompetent). See this comment in a deeper way. On the surface a protest that does not allow the military to cross a picket line seems to run counter to the goals of society (when in truth only runs counter to the goals of the government, which is not the same as society). However, seen in a deeper sense, it runs parallel to the goals of society, as the ultimate goal is to allow the citizens to pursue a happy life through giving them the freedoms to express their opinions/person, through giving them relative security, and giving them the opportunity and tools to technologically, socially, and personally innovate.

Rough Conclusion

So barring ethics, defining a "good" person is difficult. However, I think it is much more possible then a definition lying in ethical actions. Simply, a pragmatic approach of "fostering techniques and dispositions that accomplish one's goals effectively" suffices for a rough definition, which is the best you'll get with an rough question about something as vague as "goodness."

Last edited:
I don't think there is such thing as a "good person." The closest definition of such a thing is a person who has a high amount of habits that are the best actions, dispositions, and the like that most efficiently achieve that person's goals. A lot of the following opinion has grown from my new familiarity with the Graves Model of Spiral Dynamics. Objective ethics seems to be a level 4 concept, but I think society is capable of promoting from being a level 4/5 society. I'm currently fringe-involved with a group that is trying to foster a bunch of people into 7's, and then get these people to work together and "see what happens." Hopefully this experiment will have a lot of positive benefit.

Objective Ethics?

The whole concept of ethics and morality has come into question for me lately, and I purposely avoid a definition along those lines. It is natural for humans to form a concept of ethics purely due to our psychological natures as mass-social creatures in our current state of sociological evolution. It is not hard to see that ethics is plagued by a question of its objectivity, or lack thereof.

For actions, I can think of no action that is everywhere and at all times "good" or "wrong." Some actions are good only in extreme circumstances, but I can still think of times where it is appropriate or at least blurry to perform that action...even murder, rape, and the actions that generally provoke a visceral reaction of disgust can be justified under some circumstance, albeit an extreme or rare event.

Intuitionistic Ethics

With that in mind, it is extremely hard to sum up a person's entire set of reasoning for performing an action as "good" or "bad." Situations are always complex. Our motivations are always complex. We as people far to often make the mistake of thinking we can explain things simply in such terms like right and wrong without needing to know the whole situation.

For example, I once had a boss that was really rude to customers late for their appointments. They had a difficult time finding the building we were in because it was completely unmarked, the customer was from out of town, and they were about to take a really important test that could determine employment or education for them, so they were under stress. Still, my boss refused to acknowledge the complexity of the situation and instead insisted that they were irresponsible and sometimes stupid people that won't possibly pass their test. Of course she was shown to be wrong more often then not, but still had the arrogance and, honestly, incompetence to assume she could derive their personality from a grossly over simplified model.

With this in mind, you can easily see how fallible we are when judging the rightness or wrongness of actions, even when the actions seem far out there (such as murder or rape). Luckily, all humans are gifted with an strong intuition, and we can very very rapidly and holistically size up a situation and determine a correct response even when not all the variables are consciously accounted for.

Are Killers "Bad" Then?

So what do we do about serial killers, rapists, and people that really do bad things? Of course, their selfish motives are far more common then the circumstance where you have to murder one to save 10,000 scenario. It is really simple to fix this problem: see them as cognitive scientists see the mind and doctors see the body. See them as a machine. Or, more accurately, parts of a machine (the machine of society). They're obviously very broken and dysfunctional parts of that machine, and are working counter to the goals of society and so need to be fixed.

Society

Yes, I did say "counter to the goals of society and so need to be fixed" in that last section. I know it sounds strangely fascist, but it's really not because that's not how it is meant (I abhor fascism and find such governments to be extremely limited and incompetent). See this comment in a deeper way. On the surface a protest that does not allow the military to cross a picket line seems to run counter to the goals of society (when in truth only runs counter to the goals of the government, which is not the same as society). However, seen in a deeper sense, it runs parallel to the goals of society, as the ultimate goal is to allow the citizens to pursue a happy life through giving them the freedoms to express their opinions/person, through giving them relative security, and giving them the opportunity and tools to technologically, socially, and personally innovate.

Rough Conclusion

So barring ethics, defining a "good" person is difficult. However, I think it is much more possible then a definition lying in ethical actions. Simply, a pragmatic approach of "fostering techniques and dispositions that accomplish one's goals effectively" suffices for a rough definition, which is the best you'll get with an rough question about something as vague as "goodness."

Yes, I perfectly understand how conditionally works society. Reading the text of yours I can see the objective view which lets dissociate from your ethical morality which, I believe, still exists in you, and I believe that, even you can understand how reasonable can be people decisions, you still are making different contacts with people, because of your and other people ethical morality differences. And I believe that not all people can be your friends. And probably you couldn't love a person which killed your mother, I guess, because exactly people by themselves are making decisions and they have memory and consciousness to understand and decide. Reasons are created by people, so why same people can not create new BETTER reasons for BETTER future?
Knowing that, I should say that my question was oriented to a personal understanding level.

Be a Good person is necessary for oneself.
Without goodness man/woman can look alike wild animals.

Yes, i am good person.
Goodness attracts so many things like happiness, prosperity, knowledge, relationships...

yes, people see me as good person.
I think, they come to know when they talk to me. Well, you can see it now and i think this must be enough for you.

Thank you for the thread. Liked it a lot.

A good person is one who brings love, dignity, well-being, and hope into the world. Of course, there are lots of ways to go about doing this.

Are you a good person?
I suppose. I have chosen to work for the principles listed above. In addition, I might add that the goodness I manifest is something of a reflection of a goodness I see on a more cosmic level. That is the standard that I am connected to.

Probably the fact that I value others and they can see that.....I listen, ask questions, show interest, pay attention. I do this with most everybody...I try not to overlook others.

Last edited:
No I think morality is stupid and that good/bad, right/wrong is completely subjective [ liked most things since there is never anything that is truly objective], and therefore meaningless. Good/bad right/wrong have been used countless time to tug at the heartstrings of people and push through ideas whether they are valid or not. They are the origin or racism as well as the origin of tolerance so it's quite highly ironic, actually.

But being a good person to me is something that I do not care about since being good is so loosely defined and purely dependent on a persons opinion.

Caring about the wellbeing of others is good. Intentionally hurting others is bad.

There is a lot of grey in the context of everyday life. Rationalizations convolute often.

Well it's true..."good" is a word that represents and helps us communicate a certain collection of ideas. The reality of "good" as an abstract still stands for something, I think, but it is frightfully easy to punch holes in the real life abuses of the concept.

none is good, not one.