666 | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

666

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Barnabas, Mar 2, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by Barnabas
  1. DefectiveCreative

    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    536
    Likes Received:
    82
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
    Don't mind me, just lol-ing at the use of an unprovable assertion in a post that otherwise advocates the value of using empirically tested knowledge over the use of unprovable assertions.


     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Krumplenump

    Krumplenump Community Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2009
    Threads:
    40
    Messages:
    743
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    59
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Dealing with what people say they have seen, whether they really thought they did or whether they are flat out lying, is always iffy.

    So yes, unprovable, but fairly obvious to a 99.9% degree - at which point anyone who says "oh, but they might have really seen a miracle" is arguing on a mere 0.01% of feasibility. Take a step back and think of the sense, or lack of it, in doing that.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #82 Krumplenump, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  3. kyo

    kyo Community Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    150
    MBTI:
    Ni
    There is also the possibility of it actually happening in reality :) Don't forget that.
    From where do you get your percentages? You can take a step back and think of the sense in it, but that is rather subjective to the one doing it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Krumplenump

    Krumplenump Community Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2009
    Threads:
    40
    Messages:
    743
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    59
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Oh okay, let's make it 99.8%. The fact is it's overwhelmingly unlikely to the point where taking it as a valid argument is stupid.

    If you want to deal with such improbabilities or if anyone else wants to handle such inanity with a tone of seriousness, I'm not stopping them, but don't expect me to.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DefectiveCreative

    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    536
    Likes Received:
    82
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
    Some of the scientific advances we take for granted today were once considered laughably improbable, so while I don't expect you to take such seemingly highly unlikely things as the existence of miracles (something I don't personally think exist) as at least potentially valid or to deal with them with a "tone of seriousness", I do think it's a shame that you don't.

    Also, I'm not sure if you're already familiar with it but as Fallibilism attempts to argue: even theories that seem completely incontrovertible (gravity, for example) may actually only exist in terms of possibilities and probabilities, because of the limitations of empirically determined knowledge. Which is why I feel that speaking about such possibilities/probabilities (there being no such thing as miracles, for example) - however likely they may seem - as if they were absolute certainties is almost certainly presumptive and potentially very self-limiting.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #85 DefectiveCreative, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Ok, I a few problems with what you said, and for these arguements, lets assume God exsists as you describe him, Jesus was truly his son, and really rose after 3 days:

    You say he gave everything for us by dying on the cross, but was that actually giving everything? Is dying fully in the knowledge that you will rise in 3 DAYS really a sacrifice. Thats very much like going under anesthesia for surgery, excpet with MORE certainty of waking up. Is that truly a sacrifice? I say no.

    Also, you say God loves us, utterly and truly. Then why does he punish those who don't love him? That's simply unrequited love. I have lived my life with unrequited love, and yet I punish none of the objects of my affection. Why? Because I LOVE them (ok, maybe it wasn't truly love in its fullest form, but its close, and I know this doesn't change my point). So, simply because we don't love God we're to be punished in hell? Is that truly love? I say no.

    I'm now done with those assumptions.

    Am I free? Not entirely. There are people in this nation who would deny me my rights, and are doing a damned good job at it. I have societal expectations imposed on me, that I am yet to throw off (I'm yet to defeat that Dragon, so to speak [anyone get it? eh? eh?]). However, those very same expectations are the very same ones YOU are subject to. So you are no more free than I am in that respect. Religiously, am I free? Yes, absolutely, 100% Who do I serve? Myself, and only myself. I find it my best interest to assist those who I care for, and them some, because doing so brings me happiness and peace of mind. But no religion forces me to do it. I have no spiritual master but my own soul. I choose to respect my Gods because I find it to be a fulfilling relationship, but I don't have to do so.

    What do I have to look forward to in death? In whose perspective? In yours I can look to truly proving myself for all existence, by steadfastly holding by my standards and values. Your depiction of God does not fulfill these standards/values, and so I will deny him straight to hell, with a smile on my face. In my perspective. I look forward to going to what I like to call the Summerlands. This is a place to walk with Deity, a place of plenty, where no real stress exists. However, I can't imagine it being a place of laziness, with every need handed to you, simply because that would be boring. I imagine reat adventures to be had, and work to be done to sustain one's self, but not so much that its overly difficult. I imagine a place less focused on reality so that magick can be worked to wonderful effect. THATS what I have to look forward to.

    One final thing, you said you have hope in death, and not in life. why? I have hope in both. I live my life to be enjoyed, because thats how life should be lived. Then in death, the enjoyment should be continued.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. OP
    Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    670
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    [quote=N
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. NaeturVindur

    NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Threads:
    86
    Messages:
    3,686
    Likes Received:
    265
    Trophy Points:
    641
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Ok, I'll give you the death on the cross part. I didn't think that one all the way through, and wasn't really that attached to that argument. :m107:

    I'll get back to you on the hell part. thats going to take some thinking to fully flesh out what I have to say.

    O the slavery point: my point was that we are equal in our attachment to society. I have a VERY hard time believing you've completely thrown off the pressures of society. Many many people spend a life time trying to do so, and rarely succeed. You, at 18, have already done it? bravo. The only difference between our freedoms is our religons. You dedicate yourself to a God because you choose to, I dedicate myself to myself because I choose to. Who's more free?

    Deity as a parent deal, you're flat out wrong. Some of the best adjusted children I have ever met have come from parents who essentially said "An it harm none, do what ye will." They explain what they think is best, and then explain why. If the child chooses to listen, great, if not, they'll learn to. Every action has consequences, and that's what they teach. This is what my gods to for me.

    I never once remember hearing God explain why, particularly for his OT laws (which I know you say most of them were done away with by Jesus). He says "do this, because I say so." Thats it. That does not produce well adjusted children, that produces subservient children.

    GUESS WHAT! Science is behind me on this one. There have been several studies done on how parenting styles affect children. The "An it harm none..." parents produce the best adjusted, most confident, and all around best children.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OP
    Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    670
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    [quote=N
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page