Your views on the word 'ain't' | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Your views on the word 'ain't'

I never use it, personally. Interestingly, one of the psychiatrists at my work uses it with certain patients and it seems to fall into place with efforts to build rapport. I've seen it (potentially?) as a contributor to lowering defensiveness among patients who would a) use that word themselves and b) are oversensitive to interacting with figures of authority. It seems to be part of attempts to make contentious discussions seem less threatening and more conversational.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think the word might have utility in select situations. Maybe.:m083:

Fo sho I ain' got no problem widdat. Now, "noocyular" on the other hand just makes me cringe.

Wow, what a coincidence. I was about to use "ain't" on another forum earlier today for the first time in ages, but ultimately decided against it due to the potential for negative perceptions.

I could care less.

I mean to say that I care enough to respond, but if you press the issue I will care less.
Then, I couldn't care less.

what about the word t'ain't? i had a music professor who used to say "t'ain't it?" all the time....still makes me lol thinking about him to this day...

Reactions: Jill Hives
I could care less.

I don't use it in my daily vernacular but I'll use it in my writing to express where I come from. Here in NYC, "ain't" is very common, especially where I grew up.

I don't mind it. I saw a lady chew her 8 year old son for using it when I was working retail a couple years back though.

I use it, thought just at home mainly with the wife or with close friends. Every now and then I guess I may use it when I think it not appropriate.
How do I feel about? I personally think it an incorrect use of a contraction. How does one say "ai not" regarding something. Could we then use amn't for I am not? Maybe amn't sounded too rediculous. Y'all agree or disagree(from the South)?

I stopped talking like a professor in the ninth grade when I was made fun of. (I) Can still speak with the best of them correctly. One need not act smart to be smart.

Last edited:
No a really big fan of it but I do like it in poetry or to describe local color. :)

sometimes, but as a non-English speaking, I believe my case is different than you guys. =D

Probably one of the most misused words...I think, at least locally, I think, it can be an appropriate word to use at times, its has a slight, silent negative energy about it, still, all depends on what words are trendy(regularly used by top authors), or maybe common locally, as with me.

I feel that words are a gate to expressin complicated ideas, feelings, needs etc so it doesn't offend me when used, of course it can still be used poorly as well, I doubt that its a words that can be used everyday without crteating confusion.

I often even use double negatives, though not when writing for something to last.

I gathered based on my experiences conversing/interacting with others that "ain't" is pretty much acceptable colloquially but not written, unless going for a specific vibe.

Well, Merriam-Webster includes it:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain't

What constitutes a word, anyway? Why not use it? To preserve the sanctity of language or something like that? Apparently, it has been in use since 1749, too. New words and sayings come about all the time, and I have a place in my heart for both the archaic and the modern. I don't see a reason why "ain't" is any less valid than any other word that has been assimilated into the English language, which is a hodgepodge tongue of loanwords and nonsense, in any case.

I don't really use it all that much myself, but it works for some and has its place in language.

"I could care less" bothers me more than "ain't".

I'm looking at some of you... :m185:

Reactions: Bollington