Your views on the word 'ain't' | INFJ Forum

Your views on the word 'ain't'

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
Do you ever use it? How do you feel about people who do? You think we should make it grammatically correct? Anything you wanna say about it?

Last edited:
definitely needs an apostrophe...."ain't"

Reactions: muir
I am shocked that you even have an apostrophe option.

"Ain't" is a quaint way of saying that something is or is not. I use it colloquial but rarely write it.

Depends on the context, usually I will steer away from it, unless I'm using it in a whole phrase such as "Ain't that a bitch?" and it is really more of a nondescript mockery of an old saying.

I use it sometimes when joking.

It depends who I'm with. I grew up in a rather slang-heavy town, so we'd use all sorts of words that I probably wouldn't use in formal/polite situations. As said above, it definitely needs an apostrophe (poor grammar ain't good, yo!)

Also, I tend to find that my language skills slip somewhat online, as chatting/messaging/posting is usually too quick a process to really think that much.

Ain't ain't a word and i ain't gonna say it.

Reactions: Bollington
I use it only when I talk like a redneck or want to tick off my mother-in-law. :D

Reactions: JGirl
Do you ever use it? How do you feel about people who do? You think we should make it grammatically correct? Anything you wanna say about it?

i don't use it, but i thnk it's got a place in our language in stories, in poetry, music lyrics etc.
ain't has an attitude that isn't or aren't don't.
edit to add:
i don't really care if someone uses it once in a while, but if you are having a sophisticated conversation about, i dunno, space/time continuum or brain surgery i think you should talk like the grown ups lol

I don't use it because I'm pretty sure people would look down on me if I did. Got enough of that, thanks. However, I think it has attitude, and it establishes a sense of place and cultural identity.

I don't think we need to make it gramatically correct, because we don't need it. We already have "am not".

But I do think we need a second person plural word, like y'all, because there isn't one, unless you count "thou", which just makes you sound Amish. "Youse guys" just makes you sound... something... and nobody says "you lot" outside of Harry Potter movies, so y'all addresses an actual deficiency in the English language.

Reactions: Vict and JGirl
I use it often. It's a conscious word choice.

[MENTION=4680]this is only temporary[/MENTION]

"Youse guys" just makes you sound... something...
this made me laugh

I could care less about ain't. I could, however, care less about the careless use of care less. Grrr.

Reactions: Bollington
I agree a "Y'all" is needed in english, I've thought this ever since learning spanish and learning the word "vosotros."

Only in informal text, not a word to be thrown around in polite company. Also if I heard 'y'all' in a none joking fashion I would punch who said it (text not bothered about), sorry.

I'll use it in casual conversation when making a point or joking, but never elsewhere. I *think* it is a conjugation of "are", "is", and "not", which is grammatically incorrect because you do not conjugate twice. It is useful for slang and placement/definition (literature included here), but otherwise? I don't think it should be used. I used to wince at the word, but ignore it now because it isn't worth the effort to argue over.