World peace | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

World peace

The UN is certainly not set up to take over sovereignty from other countries but things don't have to stay that way. States could (at least in theory) push for higher integration by investing the UN system with more binding power. I'm not saying this is what I want necessarily but one of the most prevalent criticisms we hear today about the UN is that it's heavily political and bureaucratic, has little influence and is ultimately a proxy for the perpetuation of great power politics. This is the viewpoint that John Mearsheimer (the political scientist I quoted above and whom I was honoured to meet once) espouses. I do not espouse it personally but the least that can be said about it is that it's a very robust viewpoint.

If we agree with Mearsheimer then we do have to wonder about whether we think unipolarity, bipolarity or multipolarity is more likely to promote a peaceful state of affairs internationally. You say the West needs to contextualize the rise of the East, which could be taken as a commitment to multipolarity. I would share it for a number of reasons, including on moral grounds. And yet the history of the 20th century could be arguably said to show that bipolarity and unipolarity are more peaceful systems, in the sense that they produced fewer deaths than the multipolar contexts of WWI and WWII. Multipolar systems were less stable because there were more powers potentially vying against one another for domination. This is the paradox, in a sense. On this view, it seems that supporting the idea that any State should have full sovereignty to become as powerful as it can be might end up contributing to an international system inimical to world peace. I find that quite fascinating.

The same with nuclear deterrence: a MAD world (Mutual Assured Destruction) is also paradoxically, perhaps, a world in which there can no longer be any world war. Because mutual destruction would be assured by the possession of nuclear missiles on all sides. French people for instance, including left-wingers, tend to be in favour of nuclear weapons. A Green candidate who was quite popular ran for the presidential elections in 2012 and scored 1% (versus an initially projected score of 6%) after saying that she would de-nuclearise France. Call it an unconscious fear of Germany, a desire to remain relevant on the international scene, or a belief in the "virtue" of nuclear deterrence, but it's a real thing in France and I can at least understand it.

How to achieve peace - wouldn’t you say this is different for everyone? I think it requires everyone to to reflect on whether they want and can be peaceful. And, there will be some who don’t and are not (and will probably say that peace is unobtainable).

No, on some level I don't think peace is different for everyone. I think it's possible to have a definition of peace that is objective. It would be really interesting to see what people would come up with, actually. So far, the definition has been a "negative" one, as "A state of affairs in which there is no war and the death and destruction resulting from it". It is a pretty compelling definition in many ways. France is peaceful, South Sudan is not: how do we progress towards a world in which there are more peaceful countries like France and less conflict-affected countries like South Sudan? And a world which would be sustainably peaceful, not peaceful as a result of the contingency of history and political interest.

What sort of norms do you think are practical to implement in ones own life?

This is a great debate in my head (and in the community of peace scholars at large - of which I am not a part, but with which I interact and take insights from as much as I can) but I think a good start would be to inculcate the essential role that civil society must play as a counterpart to State power. Aiming for the flourishing of a culture in which joining civil society organisations, donating and acting within them literally becomes "the norm". A society in which everybody knows what Freedom House and Human Rights Watch are, as well as countless other more "local" organisations. Normatively moving away from an automatic commitment to the State as the sole agent of one's civic life.

Last edited:
A world of 7 billion people cannot live under one rule. Its impossible.

What can happen though to tear the whole power structure apart is to give people ths ability to create without having to pay much for it.

With the advent of 3D printing technology ( mostly brought about by corporations looking to make a dime) we are at a turning point where soon we wont have to use corporations to get and make the things we need or are interested in. But it IS corporations that made the technology to get here. We have about another 150 years to go before large companies are not needed any more but they are needed NOW to get us to that point. Invest in a better future today with the knowledge you personally will not see any gain for yourself. Most people are far too self centered to be willing to do this though.

Reactions: Ren
7 billion people don't have to be under one rule to achieve world peace.

You tell the small people to stop being so selfish, yet that's what drives companies to find ways to lower necessary employment. More money for them. If a CEO could keep all the money his company makes, he would do it.

Reactions: Ren and Stu
7 billion people under one rule would ensure no peace, unless that rule were "Love thy neighbor as thyself"

The UN is certainly not set up to take over sovereignty from other countries but things don't have to stay that way.

I don’t preclude a global supra-national kind of governing body, but I think it’s more likely to be something other than the UN.

If we agree with Mearsheimer then we do have to wonder about whether we think unipolarity, bipolarity or multipolarity is more likely to promote a peaceful state of affairs internationally.

I don’t think peace comes as a result of the consolation of power. That is dominance/authoritarian thinking - that if there’s only one or two bodies of power, then there’s bound to be peace. I don’t know, just because there’s someone absent to fight with doesn’t seem to define peace to me.

For example, if I think about US/Canada/Mexico, the distribution of power hasn’t changed over the past three hundred years, yet relations are more peaceful than when US was trying to take over Canada.

So I guess for me, real peace is achieved when you can live with what exists.

You say the West needs to contextualize the rise of the East, which could be taken as a commitment to multipolarity.

I would say the West feels destailized right now because it believed that it lived in a unipolar world and is having trouble realizing that it does not.

And yet the history of the 20th century could be arguably said to show that bipolarity and unipolarity are more peaceful systems,

I would argue that the period of peace after WWII happened because most of the world was too broken to keep fighting, except for the US (and non-involved countries). I mean, the US hasn’t exactly been at peace. We’ve had what, the Cold War, Vietnam War, Korean War, Iraqi War I & II, War in Afghanistan. It’s kind of non-stop for the US.

No, on some level I don't think peace is different for everyone.

I meant how people will achieve peace is different for everyone. Though I view peace as a subjective state, not only an objective one. It comes from within and without. It’s easier to be peaceful when you’re fed, sheltered and happy. Yet, some people are peaceful even if they’re starving, homeless and in despair.

France is peaceful, South Sudan is not:

Seventy-five years ago, France was not peaceful, and South Sudan was. Seventy-five years from now, who knows? How do you know Russia won’t try and invade?

Reduce the human population. Put people into smaller more manageable towns. Make sure that the population can never go above the determined number. As long as you control the numbers you can impose peace on the population. They will not be free to choose but they will be peaceful. With the integration of AI one will be able to control the populations urges. And what they desire for life. By telling them what they want through suggestion and propagandists. We are already living in that type of world. As more and more cameras and microphones are placed into the world at some point everything one does will either be seen or heard. Santa will be GOV.

One mans peace is another's war. This world is exactly as it should be. Humans are just as they have always been. This life is cause and effect. This or that. It has to be that way. It will not work any other way. We learn from mistakes. Without them life is impossible. It's the struggle to survive that makes life. Without it why live. Life on this planet is not easy. Us westerners have had a very false sense of security. Especially in the USA. The population is ill prepared for disaster. And in three months without medical or food. It's over for quite a few people. Millions even. Katrina should have been a wake up call for the population. The government cannot help you. Only into the camps if you survive. The future of the world will be control. Just as it was for the natives of the USA. Once they killed off their food sources they could control them and then move them to the camps called reservations. If you want control of the USA's population make them homeless. They mostly are. Most do not actually own their home. The houses belong to the bank. And they can change the rules at will. At any rate the govt can always steal it from you through taxes. There is nowhere to go where you can just live off of the land like the animals do. That luxury in the USA does not exist as it once was. The realities of living in the actual world come to life as soon as you start starving for food. Because without food there is no shelter. No living. Keep them hungry keep them poor. Keep them weak and you'll have one type of peace. The one question humanity has yet to answer is what use are humans to the world. What place do we play in it. What is mans ultimate purpose? Because the survival of the human species depends on whether it can see what part it plays in the overall picture of the world. Mankind will need to be more in tune with its environment. Because without it there is nothing left. Will man harm the world or will the world kill off man? Many a volcano could make our planet very inhabitable in a short time. We are all just one asteroid away from extinction. That is really the greatest reason for peace.

Reduce the human population. Put people into smaller more manageable towns. Make sure that the population can never go above the determined number. As long as you control the numbers you can impose peace on the population. They will not be free to choose but they will be peaceful. With the integration of AI one will be able to control the populations urges. And what they desire for life. By telling them what they want through suggestion and propagandists. We are already living in that type of world. As more and more cameras and microphones are placed into the world at some point everything one does will either be seen or heard. Santa will be GOV.

One mans peace is another's war. This world is exactly as it should be. Humans are just as they have always been. This life is cause and effect. This or that. It has to be that way. It will not work any other way. We learn from mistakes. Without them life is impossible. It's the struggle to survive that makes life. Without it why live. Life on this planet is not easy. Us westerners have had a very false sense of security. Especially in the USA. The population is ill prepared for disaster. And in three months without medical or food. It's over for quite a few people. Millions even. Katrina should have been a wake up call for the population. The government cannot help you. Only into the camps if you survive. The future of the world will be control. Just as it was for the natives of the USA. Once they killed off their food sources they could control them and then move them to the camps called reservations. If you want control of the USA's population make them homeless. They mostly are. Most do not actually own their home. The houses belong to the bank. And they can change the rules at will. At any rate the govt can always steal it from you through taxes. There is nowhere to go where you can just live off of the land like the animals do. That luxury in the USA does not exist as it once was. The realities of living in the actual world come to life as soon as you start starving for food. Because without food there is no shelter. No living. Keep them hungry keep them poor. Keep them weak and you'll have one type of peace. The one question humanity has yet to answer is what use are humans to the world. What place do we play in it. What is mans ultimate purpose? Because the survival of the human species depends on whether it can see what part it plays in the overall picture of the world. Mankind will need to be more in tune with its environment. Because without it there is nothing left. Will man harm the world or will the world kill off man? Many a volcano could make our planet very inhabitable in a short time. We are all just one asteroid away from extinction. That is really the greatest reason for peace.
Logans Run

Reactions: 54192&#cmy
there is no peace in slavery
You must be kidding. The master is at peace knowing your not. You cannot have peace without it. There always has to be a down to have an up. Just look at the world around you. Look to nature and see the natural world. What type of peace does it offer? If the prey forgets it's being hunted it will be eaten. Jesus asked for peace. They nailed him up for peace. How about Martin Luther king he was asking for peace. They killed him for it. To send a message to all the peaceful to stop wanting peace. If one wants peace you can create it in your mind but it will only exist there because to forget that you live in an un peaceful world is just asking to become dinner. The only peace in the world it seems lies with death. Enjoy your chaos while you have it one never knows when peace will come.

If that's what it takes to prevent your idea of peace from being executed, I'd gladly throw my body on the pile.

If that's what it takes to prevent your idea of peace from being executed, I'd gladly throw my body on the pile.
I don't want peace. I'm looking at the world as it is and has been. And in what ways man keeps mucking it up. With his mind. I wish mankind would change himself but that will never happen. Because somewhere out there is a mind wanting to do the opposite of you just because they can. Just as trolls do on the forums they care nothing about peace but work against it at every turn. But they do teach us valuable lessons about who we are because of them.

Reactions: Eventhorizon
I don't want peace. I'm looking at the world as it is and has been. And in what ways man keeps mucking it up. With his mind. I wish mankind would change himself but that will never happen. Because somewhere out there is a mind wanting to do the opposite of you just because they can. Just as trolls do on the forums they care nothing about peace but work against it at every turn. But they do teach us valuable lessons about who we are because of them.
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

It's always destroying itself. That's why I choose to hang in the wilderness. Keeps me away from society's finest.

Even if everyone was at peace with themself, there will still never be peace. So yes, the wilderness is the best, both a relief and shame that so few know what it truly offers. To be bare to the laws of nature has given me the most freedom.

Even if everyone was at peace with themself, there will still never be peace. So yes, the wilderness is the best, both a relief and shame that so few know what it truly offers. To be bare to the laws of nature has given me the most freedom.
I agree out there it's just you and the woods around you. Although in no time your life can be in peril. I keep that in the back of my mind. It reminds me of where I am.

Hopeful news for world peace: President Macron of France has officially announced that the first Paris Peace Forum would take place on 11-13 November in Paris, France. This is what the website of the Paris Peace Forum (which I encourage you to visit) says:

"Peace is not just the suspension of war. It is made up of all the solutions that help minimize international tensions: cooperation to fight climate change and resource scarcity, institutions to channel power rivalries and administer global public goods, justice to assuage grievances and frustration, regulation to address inequalities and abuses of power (...) the Paris Peace Forum will be a forum for discussion and debate with special emphasis on civil society initiatives, and for sharing experiences and innovative solutions involving all the stakeholders in governance:
  • Heads of State and Government leaders, local and national elected representatives;
  • Regional and international organisations, especially UN agencies;
  • Civil society in its broadest sense: companies, associations, NGOs, foundations, think tanks, media, trade unions, religious leaders, philanthropists, experts, etc."

Peace is possible!

Today, a great man has died. He was an indefatigable defender of peace. RIP Kofi Annan.

kofiannan.png

As noble a goal as world peace is, I don't think it is possible in the current sate that the world is in.

giphy.gif

Edit: But also things like this....

Reactions: Sandie33