Should women be able to preach?

• Yes

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I have no idea, lol. =P

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think that they should, because I believe that women are just as capable of being good at preaching as men.

However, I'm not a Christian, so I don't know whether it's possible to be a Christian, follow the bible, and still feel that way.

Whatever a certain religion says should go on within the religion, should be what goes on. I dont think people outside the religion should have a say.

Everyone should be entitled to have a say, however I firmly agree that no one should blindly judge a belief without understanding what and why they believe in it.

As a Christian I apply this to all beliefs and human beings.

As this has to do with the Christian Religion, I am going to use Christian Scripture to answer.

1 Timothy 2
11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
15 But women[a] will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Want Authority in a religion, to teach, Convert to a religion that allows it in scripture.

TOoSG allows such.

In this I agree with Uber.

Then according to this I am already condemned and so are many other women that praise and love their creator.
My blood boils every time I read this passage because of the hurt and misunderstanding that it has caused over the last thousand years to both men and women. I believe that every follower of Christ should have the joy to share and teach the gospel to everyone, regardless of age, race, gender and background.

I am not a part of the church nor do I have to be. I dislike how Paul refers to marriage between and man and a woman in the same fashion as how he does with the church and Christ. Its not the same.

Yes, Eve was deceived but Adam in my mind was the bigger fool. He failed to protect Eve and instead choose to listen to her and the devil instead of God. Why is Paul trying to redeem the mistakes of man when he is in the same boat as woman? The truth is we both sinned and turned our backs to God.
Childbearing? That is not my calling from God.

I fail to see the logic in Paul's words. In many ways, I see Paul as one of many influences that transformed Christianity into something it wasn't meant to be, a religion.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
Except that the New Testament was written in Greek as it was the common language of the time.

Oh and not all preachers wear clerical garb.

Myself, I'm a Youth and Family Ministry major at the college I attend. They offer this major to women not so that they have authority over a man (instead of Preaching class, which is required for men in the major, we have a class called Religious Speaking for Women to Women), and women in this major are expected to be seeking a husband who is a bible major as well, as they intend for women to use this major as a support role to their husbands. My husband is a Biblical Languages major.

Women can still do a lot in the church; I intend on working as a counselor in a church office with female, teen, or child clients, or perhaps a family. But under no circumstances will I see a man alone, and honestly it's the best policy that a pastor doesn't see a woman alone.

On occasion I can see myself leading a ladies' bible class. There's still use for a woman who has teaching as a spiritual gift.

Your husband is a lucky man. People can make problems for just about anything they so desire.

Then according to this I am already condemned and so are many other women that praise and love their creator.
My blood boils every time I read this passage because of the hurt and misunderstanding that it has caused over the last thousand years to both men and women. I believe that every follower of Christ should have the joy to share and teach the gospel to everyone, regardless of age, race, gender and background.

I am not a part of the church nor do I have to be. I dislike how Paul refers to marriage between and man and a woman in the same fashion as how he does with the church and Christ. Its not the same.

Yes, Eve was deceived but Adam in my mind was the bigger fool. He failed to protect Eve and instead choose to listen to her and the devil instead of God. Why is Paul trying to redeem the mistakes of man when he is in the same boat as woman? The truth is we both sinned and turned our backs to God.
Childbearing? That is not my calling from God.

I fail to see the logic in Paul's words. In many ways, I see Paul as one of many influences that transformed Christianity into something it wasn't meant to be, a religion.
Then make your own religion up.

Pauls letters were written long before the four gospels were.

Ah yes, that last line from that passage... so grossly misinterpreted as it doesn't flow well in English.

It doesn't mean that bearing a child will be what saves you from hell. What it does mean is that God will protect women in their childbearing if she is living in proper relation to her husband and her role in the church.

Ah yes, that last line from that passage... so grossly misinterpreted as it doesn't flow well in English.

It doesn't mean that bearing a child will be what saves you from hell. What it does mean is that God will protect women in their childbearing if she is living in proper relation to her husband and her role in the church.
And yet, many God-fearing submissive to their husbands women die in childbirth every year.. or even miscarry or deliver still born OR are infertile! etc. etc.

What does that passage mean, then?

(I just got neg repped for this comment by someone saying: "Name 20 you know."

Really?)

Last edited:

No offense whatsoever to anyone who either wrote this quote or believes it, but I'm sorry, this is ridiculous. Really? People believe this? Ouch.

Last edited:

I would have to say that religion is the practice of making rules to an already imaginary figure that people grow up to believe is real, similar to a sort of almighty santa clause.

If people want to be brainwashed into behaving morally according to how a group of men want them to act and brandish that it's God's word, then that's cool with me.

I would never submit into believing in an imaginary dude (spirituality) nor would I follow rules that people set and claimed the imaginary dude said (religion). Religion is essentially a big, world-wide cult that's come to 'save our pretty little souls' and in the process make us believe in fantastical tales and stories that could never be true in our wildest dreams. I understand that it's important to keep that childhood creativity, but, burning bush? Really?

The ludicrousness of the bible and religion....A totally different topic, not belonging on this thread.

The Goddess

Christianity has forced a patriarchal mode of thought onto the western world.

Women have been shoved aside creating an unbalanced world view.

Pre-christian belief systems had female deities. They saw reality in a more holistic way with a male and female aspect which themselves were intermingled.

The Minoans, the first recognised civilisation in Europe, had female priestesses. Their art depicts women deities holding snakes which were seen to symbolise wisdom.

Christianity took all these pre-existing ideas and re-wrote them a bit. It tells of a story where a woman is given knowledge/wisdom by a snake. The snake is however depicted as evil and the woman is given the blame for mans base state in the world.

It's a retelling of the Greek myth of Prometheus stealing fire from the Gods and giving it to man (Prometheus in the role of the serpent). As punishment Zeus makes the first woman: Pandora and sends her to man with a box which contains all of the worlds ills.

Some people have theorised that European belief systems which pre-date christianity saw reality in a more holistic way. They saw a female and a male aspect to reality and the two weren't completly distinct but more interwoven.

It has been suggested that the christan witch hunts in which hundreds of thousands of people, many of which were women, were tortured and murdered was an attempt by the church to stamp out an older belief system in which a goddess was revered, as well as a male god.

The poet Robert Graves looked at this possibility in his book 'The White Goddess' which looks at pre-christian worship of the moon.

He felt that Sir James Frazer's look at the similarities between religions in his book 'The Golden Bough' was dancing around a sensitive issue; he said of him:

'Sir James Frazer was able to keep his beautiful rooms at Trinity College, Cambridge, until his death by carefully and methodically sailing all around his dangerous subject, as if charting the coastline of a forbidden island without actually committing himself to a declaration that it existed. What he was saying-not-saying was that Christian legend, dogma and ritual are the refinement of a great body of primitive and even barbarous beliefs, and that almost the only original element in Christianity is the personality of Jesus.'

Many christians might dismiss 'moon worship' as ridiculous but there are different ways of viewing it. Sometimes symbology and physical phenomena were used as a way of mapping the internal workings of the human mind as well as the cycles and patterns within nature. In effect belief systems can allow self exploration.

This is what Freud was talking about when he was looking at the ego, the super ego and the id and what Jung was talking about when he was looking at archetypes.

Symbology can have great power, outwith the supernatural, because symbols impact on the subconscious (just look at corporate logos today).

Christianity on the other hand, it seems, has often sought to externalise the religious experience. Some christians have deviated from the churches official line but have always faced accusations of heresy.

Anyway, i think that christianity has had and continues to have a damaging effect on many peoples psyche.

I also think it is time that women and the female aspect of reality be given their rightful place alongside the male in human outlook.

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
If we made "in God's image" and the word "image" is Hebrew for "shadow", then gender should not really be important.

These debates have always seemed to me, like splitting hairs. I think that if a male or female, hermaphrodite, transgender or a gay or lesbian feels called to share the word of God, then that's what it's all about. Adam and Eve can be (and I think should be) viewed as spoken cryptically, not litterally.

Control over the masses. Control over females who might annoy males at that time through voicing opinions or challenges stemming from emotions or intuition that the word of God accepted during biblical times felt or seemed unfair to them, was probably a large part of the wording. There was fear to question, challenge etc. So yea, that's my 2 cents! :)