Will the next century be as eventful as the last? | INFJ Forum

Will the next century be as eventful as the last?

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
In the last hundred years we've had:

2 World Wars
A Space age (first man on the moon, sattelites etc.)
An Information age (Internet, IT boom etc.)
Unprecedented technological and medical advances (Flight, Television etc.)
Atomic weapons/Nuclear power

Will we continue at this pace of development, increase or will things slow down again over the next century?

You're forgetting Tesla, giving this world power, and light.

I think this century will be a thousand times better. With INTJs and INTPs finding each other online, the technological development will be unheard of.

There'll be at least ONE more world war, when Emperor Shai Gar takes on asia, there'll probably be more when people try to take down america.

there'll probably be more when people try to take down america.

They're doing a good job of that on their own at the moment. :usa:

I bet the next century's worth of people will think this century is better than their century since people like to go retro.

The turn of the century has already shown a lot of action. So far we have had...

September 11th initiating the War on Terror
The Afghanistan and Iraq War
The Corporate scandals and dot com bubble of 2003
The 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami
The SARS epidemic
The 2005 Devastation of New Orleans
The loss of one planet (Pluto)
The Large Hadron Collider the largest particle accelerator ever conceived

Not bad for the first 8 years.

The turn of the century has already shown a lot of action. So far we have had...

September 11th initiating the War on Terror
The Afghanistan and Iraq War
The Corporate scandals and dot com bubble of 2003
The 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami
The SARS epidemic
The 2005 Devastation of New Orleans
The loss of one planet (Pluto)
The Large Hadron Collider the largest particle accelerator ever conceived

Not bad for the first 8 years.

I agree. I think we usually do not realize how monumental developments are when we live through them. They are magnified with time. Consider the defense of Greece from the invasion of Xerxes I. Back then it was seen as the defense of a relatively small collection of city-states, but now, simply because it was so long ago, we see it as a crucial development in determining the fate of European culture. As time passes and we move further from the historical fork in the road, the other path that might have been taken seems more and more alien, and the event seems more and more important.

I predict LHC will at some point send theoretical physics into a tailspin with a wildly unexpected observation, resulting in yet another major revision of modern cosmology. It might involve dark energy specifically.

I also think the situations in the Middle East are rapidly coming to a head, as Islamic terrorists get dangerously close to nuclear competency.

I'm not nearly as worried about Islamic terrorists as I am about Christian terrorists.
I'm not nearly as worried about Christian terrorists as I am about LHC and 45461/0.
I am sad about Pluto :Cry:, although this gives us an even amount of planets.

There'll be at least ONE more world war, when Emperor Shai Gar takes on asia

What's your policy on New Zealand by the way? just so I know.... :tongue:

I'm not nearly as worried about Islamic terrorists as I am about Christian terrorists.

Islamic terrorists concern me more for three reasons: they're more numerous, they have more money, and most importantly, they are more often willing to kill themselves in the process of killing others.

I'm not nearly as worried about Christian terrorists as I am about LHC and 45461/0.

Why does LHC scare you?

I am sad about Pluto :Cry:, although this gives us an even amount of planets.

Seriously, Pluto had to go. It's about time some proper definitions were set for our solar system, and Pluto was too different in multiple ways to remain in the same group with the rest.

... Last IIII heard, Jupiter was a gas giant, not a real planet.

My policy on NZ is that it's a beautiful place to live, so I'm going to be ensuring it remains that way, as a national forest. People with Current NZ passports, or Botanists, or other scientists may visit to go camping, but everyone else stays out. North Island becomes another part of my empire.

... Last IIII heard, Jupiter was a gas giant, not a real planet.

There are four gas giants, all in approximately the same orbital plane. Jupiter does not have hundreds of similar bodies in the Kuiper belt. Jupiter is larger than the Earth's moon.

Aren't we supposed to be sucked into a black hole today? Exciting... :D

Aren't we supposed to be sucked into a black hole today? Exciting... :D

Nah, it'll take about four years to eat through to the outer core, after which the magnetosphere will collapse, and we will microwaved on a massive scale.
Have a nice day.

Better get the popcorn ready then. :popcorn:

I'm hoping the LHC creates a wormhole to other dimensions (like that series Sliders) or a wormhole to the otherside of space (like Stargate or Star Trek Voyager). :thumb:

Reactions: TheLastMohican
Well, either all will go well in the world, and technological and social advances will make the world a better place,
-or-
we are all going to die from a giant war, or overpopulation, or global warming, or being hit by a meteor in 2029, or a black hole in the middle of the galaxy sucking up the planet, etc.

And while I'm normally an optimist, the latter is looking to be a bit more likely right now

Middle of the galaxy? No. Switzerland.

That too.
They're trying to recreating the big bang or something, yeah? Wouldn't that yield a huge amount of matter or something like that? I always imagined a huge explosion whenever I thought of the big bang (maybe the "bang" has something to do with it).
Either way, let's hope we don't get sucked into a black hole. That would put a dent in a few of my plans, I think

I don't think the other alien civilisations would be very happy if we recreated the big bang and destroyed our universe as we know it, that wouldn't go down well.

Last edited:
I don't think the other alien civilisations would be very happy if we recreated the big bang and destroyed our universe as we know it, that wouldn't go down well.

Ya, no kidding. I know sometimes people don't have much respect for other cultures, but that's getting a bit ridiculous :B