Will the next century be as eventful as the last? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Will the next century be as eventful as the last?

Trust humans to destroy all existence. :rolleyes:

I bet that's what UFO's are, alien species watching us to make sure we don't do anything stupid.

Alien: "WTF! I turn my back for one minute and you effen humans have gone and created a new universe, you better clean up this mess right now or I'll have words with god when he gets home!"

Trust humans to destroy all existence. :rolleyes:

I bet that's what UFO's are, alien species watching us to make sure we don't do anything stupid.

Alien: "WTF! I turn my back for one minute and you effen humans have gone and created a new universe, you better clean up this mess right now or I'll have words with god when he gets home!"

HA I could see that.
They probably laugh at us too. I can imagine them watching a satellite-broadcasted War of the Worlds.
Alien: "Pssh, they think that we need to do something to destroy them? We just have to sit back and wait!"

It will be more eventful!
Simply because there are so many more people today and cause of the massive sharing of information that the internet is.

Biggest fields will be biotechnology and robotics I think.

Imagine biotechnology on our self.
Imagine super smart godlike people.
It will happen, even if forbidden and regulated.

Worst case scenario is humanity being divided in _really_ unequal groups.
If I had the possibility to give my children double iq I would, wouldn't you?
This could happen if regulated.

Also robotics is on the threshold to be really useful. It's staggering to imagine how much labor will be freed to development/science.
It will also be really tough for many who have a problem to adapt.
Almost as in the start of the industrial revolution, machines where seen as competitors rather than relievers. They are, on an individual level, but if you see whole humanity as an organic unity it is the opposite.
Problem is individual adaption.
This new time will cause great social unrest and tensions, maybe even war between the new(Asia) and old world(the West).

We will also see the collapse of oil-based economy. If "lucky" we'll soon find another cheap energy source, maybe fusion or solar panels in space beaming down energy through microwave? Or what about "carbon capture"? Coal will last a long long time.
But if we don't I am afraid it might mean the collapse of modern society. Our welfare = cheap energy, aka OIL.

So much will happen it is interesting being in the front row experiencing this.
I'm really excited. We live in a time when humanity is on the brink of becoming something more. Something godlike.

The most fantastic thing that could happen in my lifetime. I really hope and long for this, which is that man would establish herself in space, eg mars. Getting a sustainable colony where conditions are so harsh would make it impossible that civilization collapses since simple surviving is based on it. Then people can blow up each other on earth(wich is a risk thou not _that_ big) up as much as they want.
Civilisation will persist and humanity can continue evolving and spreading.

We are so far from godlike it's not funny. We would like to think we are but really most people have no idea what the F they're doing. Right now we are very advanced technologically but in every other area we are very primitive. Technology has given us much too much power, much too quickly for such simple beings to wield.

Mechanisation means more money for the rich and nothing for everyone else.

If I had the possibility to give my children double iq I would, wouldn't you?

No, I would rather leave that up to nature.

We're godlike... Compared to people from 500 B.C. Hell, we've got a length of life they only dream about.

Gods are all knowing and all powerful (well some are). We are pretty damn powerful but our knowledge is lacking.

I'm afraid to say that I think anything is possible, but will probably have a negative effect if achieved.
Let's think about this:
If we continue to update our technology without regulation, quite a few things will happen. Firstly, the communication age will continue to boom; it may get to the point where we have so much information being thrown at us at once, that we will have difficulty actually acknowledging what is really important. People will have much shorter attention spans, the inability to prioritize, and, as it often is, very biased and unorganized views of what is right or wrong in different issues because they will be more inclined to take information at face value because they don't have the time or interest to filter it further.
There are a few MBTI types that will be able to overcome this, but I doubt they will be anywhere near the majority.

Also, we will be able to better sustain life. Now, I don't mean to sound like a cruel person, but let's get down to the cold, hard truth; people have to die. For the good of the world and everyone in it, people have to die.
With longer life span, a population growing at exponential rates, and the ability to offset disease, we're going to destroy the world. Unless we can begin putting a cap on the baby-makin', we will be faced with numerous shortages; food, space, resource, etc. etc. I've heard some people talk of colonizing in space, but let's be realistic; they're going to really need to start working seriously on that technology if we want to save the entire population by that means. And to put a even darker outlook on things, let's say there were to be an outbreak of some sort of disease that we don't have immunity to; people are so densely packed and freely able to travel that the disease would spread out of control at alarming rates, probably doing massive amounts of damage, if not wiping out most of the population in the end...

So, in other words, human beings are capable of many great things. There's no doubt we'd be able to play God someday.
But, for the sake of our future and what we can do with a little foresight, let's not go for growth simply for the sake of growth. After all, usually growth is considered a means to an end, not a goal we're trying to achieve. People are forgetting how to be happy with a simple, emotionally fulfilling lifestyle....

Don't worry, genocide is the solution to the problem of overpopulation.

Don't worry, genocide is the solution to the problem of overpopulation.

:0
I'd kind of hope to think there'd be a better solution to that... :B

Since we don't have any more land, and we cannot eat up the biosphere that supports all life (including ours) on this planet, and we cannot churn out more land on the planet, we have to reduce something. That something is the number of humans on the planet.

Since we don't have any more land, and we cannot eat up the biosphere that supports all life (including ours) on this planet, and we cannot churn out more land on the planet, we have to reduce something. That something is the number of humans on the planet.

I'll agree, but I don't think senseless slaughter would be the best policy...
I personally support education on the topics and adoption :)

Sure, senseless slaughter would be stupid. We'll get rid of the ES*Ps, and anyone with an IQ under 100