Why You Should Never Major in Business Administration | INFJ Forum

Why You Should Never Major in Business Administration

serenesam

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
MBTI
INTJ
When I was in my final year in college, I graduated with a major in psychology and a minor in business management. As I look back, I sort of wished I never minored in business management. Virtually everything I learned in the school of business tends to differ and even contradicted from what I was learning in psychology. In the school of business, I learned that globalization is such a wonderful thing from my marketing professor. I learned that the gap between the rich and the poor is not widening from my business ethics professor. I learned that the ultimate goal in the organization is profit maximization. I learned that Warren Buffet was such an intelligent man who was rejected to Harvard University because he was too young. There was a lot of glory given to the study of Warren Buffet. Who would have known that a year later, I was watching the Keiser Report and Max Keiser was talking about the unethical practices of Warren Buffet. Perhaps the

Reactions: Faye
An interesting read! I can relate somewhat to what you are saying. I earned my B.S. in Human Services, so the "Business Admin" part of this major centers on nonprofit organizations, business management and grant writing. I thoroughly enjoyed the students within my major, they were deep and enriching. We had to complete many projects that included introspection of our lives (training ground for analyzing crisis and solution.)

I abhorred the business aspect of the major. Perhaps that is because it requires "Thinking" vs. "Feeling." It did not come naturally to me. Between the two worlds was a high sense of how politics correlates to your major. Did you also find this to be true?

LOL
Did you ever think that just because a system of thought wasn't for you doesn't mean that there isn't value in it? I majored in business and it is contrary to all the beliefs and values I hold as a Native person. However, I am more than used to filtering crap since I live within a culture that is vastly different from my own everyday. Education is education and knowledge is usually not a waste. Appreciate the lessons, if only to learn what you shouldn't be doing.

Reactions: Sriracha
An interesting read! I can relate somewhat to what you are saying. I earned my B.S. in Human Services, so the "Business Admin" part of this major centers on nonprofit organizations, business management and grant writing. I thoroughly enjoyed the students within my major, they were deep and enriching. We had to complete many projects that included introspection of our lives (training ground for analyzing crisis and solution.)

Interesting, business management seems to be included in the many areas of study. From what I recall, it is almost exactly identical to industrial and organizational psychology and human resources. Many of the students I knew in psychology minored in marketing instead (I guess they assumed it was related to their major which it was but I actually thought management was more related to psychology).

I abhorred the business aspect of the major. Perhaps that is because it requires "Thinking" vs. "Feeling." It did not come naturally to me. Between the two worlds was a high sense of how politics correlates to your major. Did you also find this to be true?

Yes, it just seemed that a political mindset was far more necessary and significant than even societal, social, or economic concerns.

The number one reason not to major in either psychology or business administration is that those degrees are a dime a dozen, at least here they are. You might as well have stuck with your high school qualifications.

Reactions: Nixie
Reactions: not sure
The number one reason not to major in either psychology or business administration is that those degrees are a dime a dozen, at least here they are. You might as well have stuck with your high school qualifications.

Perhaps, to be honest though I would imagine business classes are more about education than a piece of paper. I had to do a lot of reading and figuring stuff out to find out how to even start my business because I did never go to business school. I imagine doing so would have made things easier since I had to figure out what legally needed to be done and how to pay my taxes on my own rather than having some direction.

Perhaps, to be honest though I would imagine business classes are more about education than a piece of paper. I had to do a lot of reading and figuring stuff out to find out how to even start my business because I did never go to business school. I imagine doing so would have made things easier since I had to figure out what legally needed to be done and how to pay my taxes on my own rather than having some direction.

I would bet you [MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION] that you learned more on your own than you would have in uni.

Reactions: Nixie
When I was in my final year in college, I graduated with a major in psychology and a minor in business management.
As I look back, I sort of wished I never minored in business management.
Virtually everything I learned in the school of business tends to differ and even contradicted from what I was learning in psychology.

I'm empathize, my friend.
I never met an MBA I didn't dislike.
For the purposes of this you've outed yourself as more of a humanist than a profits-maximizing negative-value-added MBA.

The vast majority of the work-for-hire I've done to date have been involved engineering, designing, creating, producing.
Engineers are ALWAYS up against MBAs and been counters (EG Accountants).
In my first job out of college a fellow engineer posed the question, "What's the difference between a been counter and an Engineer?"
After a pregnant pause he told me that answer, "A bean counter knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing; an Engineer knows the value of everything and the cost of nothing."
MBAs seem closer to the bean counter than the Engineer; they know costs but not the values and who values the goods and services having associated costs, for the most part, they regard the personal, subjective values of others irrelevant distractions vis-a-vis the reductionist value of the bottom lines of their profits and losses spreadsheets.

If I wanted to dissuade another such as yourself from pissing away precious time with `earning' and MBA I'd present the following:

Want to THINK like an MBA without pissing away a thousand hours of your life and paying someone for the privilege?
If so, just spend a half hour with Bessy the Cow as seen from the various Points of View offered by rungs on an Abstraction Ladder and you'll be the wiser for your efforts.

If you enjoy turning living `things' -- People, animals, plants ... the whole biosphere -- into an abstraction, such as `human resource', `livestock', or `asset' for fun and profit regardless of consequences in terms of pain, suffering, degradation of the environment, or exporting of the jobs of your countrymen elsewhere then sign up for that MBA program NOW.
Avoid the rush!
Sublimate your sociopathy.
Globalize your apathy for your fellow man, increase your value added to those who would use you as a tool for amassing corporate wealth as a means of amassing their personal wealth, status, and standing.

I've yet to meet an MBA who didn't abstract would-be individuals into production units thought of as `human resources' and wasn't ready willing and able to prostitute their talents for `the man', the CEO, whoever would pay them Judas money to `manage' and betray others in the name of professionalism and profits.

If INFPs make the best psychotherapists and we place them at one end of a spectrum I'd place xxxJ types with MBA degrees at the other.
MBAs induce psychological suffering pursuant to maximizing corporate profits and/or personal bonuses.
Those who value the well-being of others and endeavor to restore it when downgraded or lost are provided work by MBAs the way toxic cleanup workers make money off polluters.

Bessie the Cow, Gary the Plumber, Bob the mechanic, and John Q. Public are all `human' -- by lip service -- renewable resources, chattel, and livestock vis-a-vis the high and lofty rungs on the abstraction ladder which MBAs use as a vantage points.

Not that I'm generalizing or painting with a broad brush, mind you.
It's just that those with MBA degrees which don't act-as-if portrayed remain unemployed as a tool for creating wealth, amassing obscenely large mounds of beans, prostituting talents, etc. etc.

Just an opinion, FWIW.

Couldn't be as bad as majoring in Fine Arts. :p

Lawlsy. Fun thread. I has business degree ahuhuhu. And I ponder the same shit about humanity and ethics.

Get your facts str8 son. Business, per se, is not bad and study of it is not fruitless. The entire fucking world runs on business. Try finding a job in a non-business environment. You're limited to government jobs, or not-for-profits. But even those organizations have a business side driving them, and they play by many of the same rules.

It is not business in and of itself you have a problem with. It is the manner in which business is conducted. I heard tons whining about sweatshops. The theory and idea behind low cost foreign labor is sound (comparative advantage). It isn't executed in an ethical way. Don't throw baby out with bathwater.

In business analysis, of course an employee is objectified. Here's what the employee can do for you, and here's how much they cost. That's just logic. It's being objective. You want to pay a bunch of employees more than the market value of their labor, go right ahead, that is your decision, but the cold hard fact is that it's money out of your pocket. You can do it, but it costs you. Sorry if reality isn't all rainbows and butterflies, but don't blame "business" for that. Being ethical costs money. Whether or not you wanna do that is up to you, not up to any business school or theory.

Financial analysts and money managers are not smart? HAHAHAHA. Give me a fucking break. It's a VERY quantitative job in a VERY competitive field. OK, maybe their emotional intelligence or perspective on life is not up to snuff, but they are VERY intelligent and driven individuals.

I am cynical as hell, so we're kind of on the same page. But I believe that your beef is not with "business" it is with human nature. Your very warm and loving fellow psychology students may seem nice enough on the surface, but they are selfish in other ways. They feed their own emotions based on other drivers, but they are selfish the same I would speculate. And that's spending forever with these INFJ types to know that soft and feely does not equal unselfish at all.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I just have to post this:

[video=youtube;RN14my-ttEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN14my-ttEI&playnext=1&list=PLA04D3F302F908DCD[/video]

Financial analysts and money managers are not smart? HAHAHAHA. Give me a fucking break. It's a VERY quantitative job in a VERY competitive field. OK, maybe their emotional intelligence or perspective on life is not up to snuff, but they are VERY intelligent and driven individuals.

Maybe you are right as the research shows that people who lie tend to be more successful - http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=7197.5742.0.0

Not to forget all the white collar crimes listed on the fbi's website: http://www.fbi.gov/news/news_blog

Maybe you are right as the research shows that people who lie tend to be more successful - http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=7197.5742.0.0

Not to forget all the white collar crimes listed on the fbi's website: http://www.fbi.gov/news/news_blog
Well yeah, obviously. If someone's purely focusing on their objective, while disregarding ethics, they are more effective in reaching their objective.

So you dug around and found some white collar criminals, and used that to conjecture that the investment management profession is a dishonest one?

All life lives at the expense of its environment. Business is merely a set of tools. Use what you want, discard what you don't find morally justifiable. To become informed of all the tools available is to be a well-rounded adult. To shun certain tools without even understanding them is true close-mindedness.

Do you think it could be just your school like this? Then again, I could see business majors being like how you described it. But, what can you do with a major in psychology compared to a major in business? I mean, true life isn't about paying the bills and having food on the table, but it sure is important. Was getting a business major just a major waste of time?

The problem with majoring in business in my opinion is that you go to school and learn how to run a business but you have nothing to sell whereas someone else majors in electrical engineering and then doesnt know how to start/run a business. Then someone from the upper class comes along and can do both because he went to the right schools and the first two people make him rich.

Do you think it could be just your school like this?

No, I attended SDSU - http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/marcomm/rankings.aspx

SDSU is ranked among the nation's best graduate schools in business, according to U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Graduate Schools 2012."
SDSU is ranked among the nation's best undergraduate business programs according to U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges 2011."
SDSU's College of Business is also listed among Princeton Review's best business schools - 2010.

Then again, I could see business majors being like how you described it. But, what can you do with a major in psychology compared to a major in business?

There is really not much you can do with a bachelor's degree in psychology, you really need a master's degree, but even then it is highly competitive. The drop out rate for the undergraduate program itself is 50%. Only about 5% actually go on to pursue a PhD. And even with a master's degree, I still hear about unemployed stories.

I mean, true life isn't about paying the bills and having food on the table, but it sure is important. Was getting a business major just a major waste of time?

For me it wasn't, I can only speak for myself. First of all, in the real world, particularly in the field of business, some managers don't really care about your educational background especially if you are good at sales. I have worked in banking and sales before and particularly in marketing firms, the turnover rate is very high as it is a highly competitive field. In banking, your managers will push you hard to close sales in getting people to open accounts. I actually think performance supersedes educational background. For business, I don't even think a bachelor's is necessary, an associate's degree should be just fine. I know a lot of managers at Wells Fargo with only a high school diploma....and you have a lot of management graduates with a degree wondering why they can't get a managerial position.....college is a big scam.....I also know a lot of managers with only a high school diploma in other companies.....a lot of average folks start their own businesses and education isn't really their background, in fact, building a successful company had nothing to do with the intellectual learning of schools.