Why the Poor are FAT | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Why the Poor are FAT

I suppose the crux of the issue is where does energy partitioning (the sorting into fat or fuel) occur?

Those that say it's only a matter of will power believe it occurs in the concious mind.

Perhaps it actually occurs as hypothalamus? Or maybe like Taubes says, at the cellular level?

I suppose the crux of the issue is where does energy partitioning (the sorting into fat or fuel) occur?

Those that say it's only a matter of will power believe it occurs in the concious mind.

Perhaps it actually occurs as hypothalamus? Or maybe like Taubes says, at the cellular level?

As an engineer, I like to understand systems by breaking them into their constituent parts. This works to an extent with biology, but, as we learn more, the systems become more and more complex and so do our models. The answer to the question about "partitioning" is that it happens all over simultaneously at the cellular, tissue, organ and multi-systemic levels. And, to what extent, we are still learning. This is what makes it so interesting, even if you think of it only in terms of biology. The regulation of metabolism occurs at many levels and is partially affected by multiple hormones, growth factors, cytokines, etc. Insulin is commonly thought of as involved in sugar regulation but it is also involved in fat metabolism. In high concentrations, it can behave like a growth factor (this is one cause of some of the pathologies diabetics encounter as they age). Thyroid hormones are very important in regulating metabolism. But, in addition, there are new hormones being discovered. Ghrelin, a hormone that stimulates hunger, seems to be the dual of leptin, which, produced in the fat, seems to effect satiety. Ghrelin was unknown before 1999 although its receptor was known in 1996. There is so much complexity to the biology of metabolism (of which obesity is a part), both known and unknown that, once acknowledged, it is clear that the media usually have it wrong. Beyond the physiology are the obvious influences of evolution (we evolved to gorge when possible so as to survive the usual prehistoric scarcity), economics, sociology, psychology, big agri-business, marketing, and less obvious influences. It's hard to get your head around it but, as I said before, this field has a great future.

Poor people are fat because they're stupid, shortsighted, and with the exception of maybe one person out of a thousand in the US, aren't actually poor enough to curtail their food budget.

Poor people are fat because they're stupid, shortsighted, and with the exception of maybe one person out of a thousand in the US, aren't actually poor enough to curtail their food budget.

they would have loved you at the occupy protests

Actually, it's quite logical for poor people to eat the most calorie dense material available. These "foods" tend to be cheap, filling, and available in poor neighborhoods. Who cares about looks and long-term, chronic health problems when you're hungry now? You may become fat, but at least you survive in the near future.

The distinction between simplification and oversimplification is in degree of accuracy, but not correctitude.

It is still accurate to say that it was an entirely correct oversimplification.

And the wikipedia article on high fructose corn syrup states:

Before the mass production of fructose since 1957, human beings had little dietary exposure to fructose. Fructose was limited to only a few items such as honey, dates, raisins, grapes and apples. The staples of most early diets, meats and most vegetables, contain no fructose.

Spoken like a person who has never gone a day hungry in their lives. Let them eat cake. Right.

If they are fat, then they are not poor - but their standard of living is just lower than most others.

High protein diets are a standard for a higher standard of living.

Not necessarily that if they're fat they're not poor.

One of the major MAJOR symptoms of a food intolerance that is often overlooked is a fat middle. It's usually actually bloat, as I found out trying to get off of gluten myself. I felt myself bloat and feel ill every time I ate it, and now that I'm not I feel a lot better. I do the same with chicken and pork.

I am one of those people on assistance, and yes, we use our church's food bank. Well, my husband's church; I have not felt welcome there.

Many people are allergic or at least intolerant of corn and soy as well, and they are common ingredients in food pantry foods like macaroni and cheese, especially so in the store brand varieties.

If a body can't process the food for some reason, it just gets stored around the midsection in gas. I have literally been ten inches smaller in the waist in the morning than in the evening, all from eating my allergens. And if that's all I can get ahold of, then I just bloat and bloat until I get from my normal size 14 to a 22 in about three days time. Once I lay off for a week, I'm back down to seeing my ribs again.

So imagine you know you feel ill eating like this but can't afford to eat better? That's what I and lots of other people are up against. There's also a theory (which I have found correct) that states if you eat too much of a certain family of foods in a row, your body becomes intolerant of it. Lay off of it for a few weeks and you might be able to eat some. But you should rotate your diet every four days... if you have pasta one day don't have it again until the weekend, for example. But poor people don't have that luxury.

Also, if a family is not getting enough food, sometimes the body will store whatever fat it gets. That is what happened to me when my family had me put on a raw food, vegan diet. I would eat what I wanted (and not great quantities of it either) at church potlucks (which were only once every three months) and eventually my body just hoarded the fat until I weighed 215 pounds, despite doing 90 minutes of cardio a day and an hour of weights three times a week.

Added to this all is that hormones need certain fats and certain nutrients to work. Processed junk doesn't give the nutrients to support the thyroid, processed carbs can lead to diabetes, at which point it's very difficult to lose weight once it's on.

Anyway, just my take, from someone who is both on food stamps AND church food pantry.

I wish churches would try to raise that little bit extra, so that they could employ poor people to do part-time work - mostly physical work. That way people gain self-esteem, and get some exercise as well. It would be far more likely to serve as a gateway to earning a living, than simple hand-outs.

As for the elderly and poor - they should be looked after and given the opportunity to rest and enjoy pleasant past-times. It does us good to honour the elderly.

I wish this too, but many churches are too much in debt to their building costs, and supporting overseas missionaries seems to be the top of their priorities with what money they have leftover. This is why I favor a house church setup with about four families, each tithing 10%. Say if each adult has a job paying $30,000 a year, that's $24,000 that could be raised to help their community- and not even worry about building costs! If they raised $2,000 a month, that could help with giving $400 worth of food to 5 different families each month... a LOT better setup if you ask me than the one grocery bag a month we get from our church, half of which is leftover candy from the last candy holiday.

Last edited:
If being poor somewhat correlates with obesity, then the current economic troubles are likely to augment the problem.

However, there does seem to be an increase in the incidence of obesity at all socio-economic levels. It is a very complex problem for which there are no simplistic answers. This is what makes it so interesting. As the husband of an endocrinologist (the field is "Endocrinology and Metabolism"), I am close to the community of physicians and scientists who study obesity.

I'm not Fat...

lol

Seriously though, if we're talking America, it's under my impression that processed fatty foods and the likes of take-away are easy to come by compared to healthy and healthy home prepared foods... Also exercise is hard to do regularly when your under the foot of poverty and trying to make ends meet.

From personal experience, having not enough money for decent food or square meals, actually I found all that we could afford was occasional takeaway and loads of processed "biscuits" and other sweet things. You tend to get a little soft around the edges.

Unless your African level poverty, in which case... What the hell?