Why the Hatred Towards Scientology? | INFJ Forum

Why the Hatred Towards Scientology?

j654dgj7

Please delete this account.
Jun 8, 2012
MBTI
XXXX
Okay, so we all know that Scientology is the magnet of criticism and condemnation. But why?

Sure, they use cheap labor and people live meagers lives. So do Catholic monks and Buddhist practitioners.
Sure, they might believe that an intergalactic warlord sent souls to Earth, or whatever, but Christians believe in a man that died for 7 days and came back to life. Muslims believe that humans were made by a clot of blood.
Sure, they might tell people to stay away from the internet. It says in the Qu'ran that women shouldn't pluck their eyebrows and that yawning comes from the Devil. The old testament has 613 commandments detail-controlling the lives of its practitioners.

I could go on. Like other religions, they believe that they are improving the lives of its practitioners. Why go so hard after Scientology when they're just a religion like any other?

Okay, so we all know that Scientology is the magnet of criticism and condemnation. But why?

Sure, they use cheap labor and people live meagers lives. So do Catholic monks and Buddhist practitioners.
Sure, they might believe that an intergalactic warlord sent souls to Earth, or whatever, but Christians believe in a man that died for 7 days and came back to life. Muslims believe that humans were made by a clot of blood.
Sure, they might tell people to stay away from the internet. It says in the Qu'ran that women shouldn't pluck their eyebrows and that yawning comes from the Devil. The old testament has 613 commandments detail-controlling the lives of its practitioners.

I could go on. Like other religions, they believe that they are improving the lives of its practitioners. Why go so hard after Scientology when they're just a religion like any other?

Because it has the air of a big giant scam...not one of true faith that what they believe is true, but that it was created solely to dupe people into being fleeced.
IDK...maybe they really believe that L. Ron Hubbard was some sort of prophet and they find it helpful in their lives, but even his own son has come out against him and the “church” as being a scam that preys on people in their weakest hour sometimes...that doesn’t sit well with many people IMO.

Because it has the air of a big giant scam...not one of true faith that what they believe is true, but that it was created solely to dupe people into being fleeced.
IDK...maybe they really believe that L. Ron Hubbard was some sort of prophet and they find it helpful in their lives, but even his own son has come out against him and the “church” as being a scam that preys on people in their weakest hour sometimes...that doesn’t sit well with many people IMO.

Pardon me for building on this but it is a big scam. Hubbard said this before he created it.
However in my mind it is as valid as any other religion.

Reactions: Reason
Pardon me for building on this but it is a big scam. Hubbard said this before he created it.
However in my mind it is as valid as any other religion.

I’m sure many religions have been started for all the wrong reasons, i.e. power, wealth, influence, etc.
But I also think that some have started legitimately to improve and help direct and guide that person through life and beyond without (at least at first) the need for material things or political power.
There is probably a good mix, but even many with good intentions have sadly been corrupted and have lost whatever original meaning their teachings are supposed to convey.

I’m sure many religions have been started for all the wrong reasons, i.e. power, wealth, influence, etc.
But I also think that some have started legitimately to improve and help direct and guide that person through life and beyond without (at least at first) the need for material things or political power.
There is probably a good mix, but even many with good intentions have sadly been corrupted and have lost whatever original meaning their teachings are supposed to convey.

I think thats an accurate assessment.
We know without doubt why Scientology was created though. Nothing Nobel about it and I think it should give insight to all who choose to follow any religion. ..but of course it doesn't.

I hear what you're saying, but the same could be said of praying - you can't prove that it works. People still say that it helps them and connects them to a higher power.

The Catholic Church has done some dubious business through the history of time too.

My question remains: why pick on Scientology specifically? Is it because it's "safer" since there's so few of them? It just seems like bullying to me.

words words words

I think thats an accurate assessment.

lion-and-lamb-lie-down-together.jpg

Now I believe in world peace :)

I hear what you're saying, but the same could be said of praying - you can't prove that it works. People still say that it helps them and connects them to a higher power.

The Catholic Church has done some dubious business through the history of time too.

My question remains: why pick on Scientology specifically? Is it because it's "safer" since there's so few of them? It just seems like bullying to me.

I think there is good evidence that prayer actually works. Why though is up for debate. I personally think that when focus is placed on something certain aspects of it are brought into reality.

I think there is good evidence that prayer actually works. Why though is up for debate. I personally think that when focus is placed on something certain aspects of it are brought into reality.

I think you're absolutely right about the effects of prayer, but it can't be scientifically proven. Same with the effects of any religion, right?

I don't know, this whole thing just popped into my mind. It seems "small" of us to pick on Scientology so much. It's a small religious sect like so many others. It doesn't sit right with me.

There is a really good documentary about Scientology called “Going Clear"
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/going-clear

And I don’t think anyone hates Scientologists or teases them anymore than any other religion.
At least here in the US though, they have a stigma of it just being about the money.

[video=youtube;iGlvu_mxF00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlvu_mxF00[/video]

There is a really good documentary about Scientology called “Going Clear"
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/going-clear

And I don’t think anyone hates Scientologists or teases them anymore than any other religion.
At least here in the US though, they have a stigma of it just being about the money.

I saw 'Going Clear' when it came out. It's a good documentary and I enjoyed it.

People just seem to get so jolly when they get to criticize Scientology compared to other religions. There's hundreds of small Christian/Jewish/Islamic sects that center around donations from its parishioners, but people get bummed out when they're exposed. That's my impression, anyways.

There's been such terrible tragedies to come out from Scientology, sure. People denied psychiatric help when they clearly needed it. Families broken up due to disconnection.

... But how about all of the people killed in the name of the three world religions? What about all of the families torn up due to conversions to new religions? The people killed in exorcisms?

I saw 'Going Clear' when it came out. It's a good documentary and I enjoyed it.

People just seem to get so jolly when they get to criticize Scientology compared to other religions. There's hundreds of small Christian/Jewish/Islamic sects that center around donations from its parishioners, but people get bummed out when they're exposed. That's my impression, anyways.

I see myself at least as an equal opportunist when it comes to mocking the hypocrisy of anyone or any religion that holds itself to a certain level of conduct and follows certain codes of morality only to be full of shit.

I see myself at least as an equal opportunist when it comes to mocking the hypocrisy of anyone or any religion that holds itself to a certain level of conduct and follows certain codes of morality only to be full of shit.

What level of conduct does Scientology not live up to?

What level of conduct does Scientology not live up to?

Their claim that the religion is anything but a money making device.
If they truly want what’s best for humanity then all their e-meter sessions, etc. would be free.
Also the unscientific claims made about psychology and psychiatry and mental illness in general is harmful to the vulnerable.

Last edited:
It is a criminal organization that abuses its membership psychologically then steals from them.

and it is not a religion, it is a cult.

All the Gnostic religions, or Gnostic versions of theistic religions are repulsive to the agnostic disposition.

Whereas the agnostic is reluctant to claim that anything can be known about God with certainty; and the theist claims that some things can be known, and many things cannot be known; the Gnostic claims to know everything. And this "hidden knowledge" can be yours at a price.

It is a criminal organization that abuses its membership psychologically then steals from them.

and it is not a religion, it is a cult.

So much like Catholicism. ..

What stands out about it to me is its ability to influence celebrities and make them spout goofy shit while also throwing away a ton of money that could possibly go to a...umm, what do you call it....right, a legitimate cause, like the Orthodox Church of Sloe Djinn. But hey, I'm always ready to bitch about what other people should do with their money. =)

I'm banned from my local Scientology office.

Shame, I wanted to troll em.

Last edited: