Why Metaphysics fails to be adequate? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Why Metaphysics fails to be adequate?

If metaphysics would be inadequate, science would be gone...forever!

I disagree based on the premise that people don't necessarily cease to do things that aren't adequate.

Metaphysics being inadequate has nothing to do with science being gone. It has to do with metaphysics not meeting certain goals - the main one is being empirical.

This is a metaphysical question !

It's also probably inadequate in many regards. This entire thread is probably inadequate in itself.

I have no problem with inadequacy. I'm inadequate for many things - it's unavoidable.

However the purpose of this thread is not criticism. Inadequacy is not a critical loaded term here because everything is inadequate to some relative purpose or other. The purpose of this thread is to bring things to light and maybe discuss different ways of seeing things.

It's also probably inadequate in many regards. This entire thread is probably inadequate in itself.

I have no problem with inadequacy. I'm inadequate for many things - it's unavoidable.

However the purpose of this thread is not criticism. Inadequacy is not a critical loaded term here because everything is inadequate to some relative purpose or other. The purpose of this thread is to bring things to light and maybe discuss different ways of seeing things.

But what if the value of a thing lies in it's inadequacy? If it is adequate then does it's failure to be inadequate make it even more valuable?

But what if the value of a thing lies in it's inadequacy? If it is adequate then does it's failure to be inadequate make it even more valuable?

I suppose that depends on what you value.

StarMade is a great model for how inadequacies work. My ships in StarMade are in a gaming thread I made a bit ago.

The reason StarMade is a model for inadequacy is that power and thrust are so costly and require a large number of blocks to generate, so an optimal ship often ends up being a flying solid brick of systems blocks with practically no interior and no detail. People value ships that look good, with interiors that you can walk around in, but such a ship is rarely as viable as one that is designed to be as compact and efficient as possible.

People can get away with pretty ships in StarMade but these ships have to be quite large to handle all the systems required to protect and move those extra decorative blocks and hulls, and still survive combat. People often end up with a ship that either can't move well, or will be eaten because it doesn't have enough shields, or it won't be able to do enough damage to punch through another large ship's shields. But people still want to build these ships even though they aren't fully adequate.

Got it !

I disagree based on the premise that people don't necessarily cease to do things that aren't adequate.

Can you give me some examples?
Metaphysics being inadequate has nothing to do with science being gone.
Sciente is based on metaphysical assumptions.
Anyway, I thought it was a harsh criticism of metaphysics, because I'm to used to hear this. My mistake:) and yes, I can agree with you !

Can you give me some examples?
One huge example is that large nations still run aircraft carriers which are really vulnerable and too large and too expensive to risk losing in combat. Supercarriers are only really effective in asymmetric warfare - they'd want to avoid putting carriers against carriers at all costs.

This is why carriers are now being replaced by smaller vessels, but transition takes time.

Sciente is based on metaphysical assumptions.
Anyway, I thought it was a harsh criticism of metaphysics, because I'm to used to hear this. My mistake:) and yes, I can agree with you !
Yes there are some metaphysical assumptions, out of necessity. Like the supercarriers above, we don't have anything better right now.