Why Metaphysics fails to be adequate? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Why Metaphysics fails to be adequate?

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]
Also consider that the number of valid combinations for DNA probably exceeds the number of particles in the known universe.

Yet, the number of valid combinations of the particles of the known universe by far exceeds, and actually includes all combinations of all DNA everywhere.

So, people say that having the same DNA is so improbable as to be impossible, yet having the universe that we currently have out of the possible universe combinations is even less probable. Is the universe impossible?

Also from my perspective, not considering a soul makes it easier to be harmonious. Treating us all as one interconnected organism that is seeking homeostasis makes it easier to be harmonious.

If I treat you as separate then I start having to question agendas and motivations. Why is your soul important to my soul? I have to invent morality, and rely on my subjective rules and goals.

But like Miku says in her song Nebula "Correlation: I am You." For me, subjective difference gives rise to the human condition. Subjective difference gives you something that you think you can love, but it also gives you things to hate and kill based on personal ideals. Ideals that I often feel are unnecessary.

@Skarekrow
Because we aren't unique even by our own standards. We want to identify and find so much common ground with others that we really secretly want to be the same rather than unique.

The closest thing we have to being unique is DNA and that is only from combinatorial probability. i.e. DNA is unique because it is complicated enough that having the same DNA by chance is incredibly unlikely, but not actually impossible.

You are too much like everything else to be unique though. What you are is individuated. Like a car with a license plate.

Everything is made of the same stuff.
Everything is made of recycled stuff that used to be other things.
The amount of stuff does not increase.

To me it's like taking a red shirt, dying it purple, and calling it a new shirt. Yeah it's different now but it's the same shirt.
I do not say we are unique because in my mind we are literally and physically not by any stretch of my imagination.

@Skarekrow
Also consider that the number of valid combinations for DNA probably exceeds the number of particles in the known universe.

Yet, the number of valid combinations of the particles of the known universe by far exceeds, and actually includes all combinations of all DNA everywhere.

So, people say that having the same DNA is so improbable as to be impossible, yet having the universe that we currently have out of the possible universe combinations is even less probable. Is the universe impossible?

@Skarekrow

Also from my perspective, not considering a soul makes it easier to be harmonious. Treating us all as one interconnected organism that is seeking homeostasis makes it easier to be harmonious.

If I treat you as separate then I start having to question agendas and motivations. Why is your soul important to my soul? I have to invent morality, and rely on my subjective rules and goals.

But like Miku says in her song Nebula "Correlation: I am You." For me, subjective difference gives rise to the human condition. Subjective difference gives you something that you think you can love, but it also gives you things to hate and kill based on personal ideals. Ideals that I often feel are unnecessary.
It’s semantics [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]...
Yes...you could say that we are not unique by certain standards and I could argue that we are unique by other standards.
Just because a ruby may be made of the same atoms as everything else doesn’t mean that it isn’t unique and beautiful and something to look upon with awe.
I don’t see the differences in myself and another person as something to separate us and cause strife...I see them as perfect in their own unique way...the differences in one person to another are the reasons people are beautiful and amazing.

Your example of DNA combinations is valid...it is possible for two people to have the same DNA, although highly improbable...but having the same DNA does not make two people the same...because even if two clones were created using the same DNA....and even if both were raised in the same exact environment...from birth, their brains would not be making the same connections...and throughout their lives no matter how closely you tried to give them the same experience they would still be different from one another via the cascading effect of the connections made in their neurons. So yes, they would be the same on the DNA level, but they would each be different and unique. I think many of us hear the word “unique” or “different” and automatically think of it as being a negative thing. It is in fact those differences that we have been conditioned from birth to recognize as negative things....if you are overweight, or wear glasses in the first grade, or are of a different race amongst the majority....etc...etc. People are singled out, teased, excluded....a small part of it is how we are wired, but most of it is learned behavior. A field of wild flowers with their differences in size, color, and fragrance, is far more beautiful to most than a farm of one kind of flowers. They are all flowers, and yet, we recognize their beauty in their contrast and variability. It’s all a conditioned response...it’s all semantics.
The idea of the universe having infinite combinations doesn’t make it impossible...if fact it supports many theories of how the universe works.
Look at Chaos Theory - When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future...we call it chaos theory now, but we are soon discovering that there is an underlying mathematical process at work. Take weather for example...the same exact weather pattern may reoccur but will never be exactly the same as it was before. It conforms with the idea of "sensitivity to initial conditions"...or the Butterfly Effect...things may start out on the same path or a closely approximated path and due to small variables can end up either on a similar path or wildly off. What’s even more amazing is that Chaos Theory doesn’t remain on a linear dimension...if you look at the “chaos” in the dimensions that we know of through our visual and spacial recognition then the physicists are finding that there is in fact a predictability to the response and action the “chaos” will take...for a dynamical system to display chaotic behaviour it has to be either nonlinear, or infinite-dimensional. An infinite-dimensional universe is not only possible but actually becoming the field of study for many quantum physicists. That not only makes any and everything in the universe possible, but the infinite amount of variables are a rule of thumb.
Does that make our universe less important or less unique? My answer is absolutely not. Who is to say that if you could put a percentage on an infinite amount of universes that life as we understand it would represent an incredibly small amount? And out of those with “life” a conscious, thinking, problem-solving creature such as ourselves is even more rare? And just as an example we understand that 1.5 of the population is INFJ...lol. Or a small percentage have two differently colored eyes...or can play piano without ever having a lesson....or maybe have an IQ of 80 yet still make everyone that meets them smile and feel welcome.
I do actually prescribe to the idea of a collective consciousness sprinkles...but I believe that there can absolutely be a collective consciousness and also be an individual “soul”. One could say that a hive of ants of bees is the closest things we have on Earth to a “collective consciousness”, and yet as similar as each member of that group of insects is...as genetically similar as they are...each one has a different experience that eventually is shared. One bee my fly off in a different direction one day due to any number of conditions, wind, etc...and find a once unknown field of flowers. That experience is unique to that bee and one could argue that the bee is momentarily a unique individual. Of course the bee will return to the hive, do his dance, and share his learned knowledge with the others. Each bee will learn from that one bee and in turn understand the value of this new discovery...does that still make that bee unique - yes....not one single bee after him will have the same experience even if it were to fly the same path. My belief is similar....I believe we are here to learn something, I think that what we are here to learn is unique to each person...when we die, I believe that knowledge gained will be shared with a collective consciousness of sorts...that we will have an understanding of what it all means...perhaps that goal has not been met yet and that is why we are still returning again and again. The knowledge we gain represent gears in the grand machine...with each piece we understand more of what the grand machine is. Anais Nin said, “We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are.”. It is that unique perspective that in my belief is the necessary ingredient in order to create the understanding that is vital to what is the “collective consciousness”.

I have seen people who are being kept alive by respirators and pacing wires whom I could tell you with all certainty are no longer there...as such, I could take the same circumstances and tell you that their “soul” is still there. I have also seen people whom by every stretch should still be there....healthy, young, etc.
And yet....when that moment comes when their heart stops....when we start CPR...there is a moment of change...very subtle...I cannot describe it any other way than a change in energy of the room. This was the same when my Father was dying of cancer...I believe that his “soul” left some time before his body actually shut down...he was no longer there...I could almost say that it is like people who claim to see auras...you could say that it is all in my head, but I know what I know and for the most part I am a very logically thinking person when it comes to medicine...you have to be in order to do the job properly, you have to push emotions and feelings to one side...but this is the one constant that I have never been able to ignore.

This is so interesting, thanks for sharing.

Ive had a similar experiences with babies. I love babies and have spent a lot of time looking after others children as well as my own daughter. Something ive felt, especially with newborns is that theyre not always 'present' or there. This experience has really scared me in the past- one moment im holding them and the its all warmth and connection, and then all of a sudden it just feels weird and empty. The child is still breathing but i can clearly feel that these is something amiss and different. At first i was terrified of SIDS because of this. But having it happen again and again, i started to get used to it and more curious. My theory is that the soul has retreated from the body/avatar when this happens. With my daughter i felt sometimes that although she was not with her body, she was still there in the room with me, observing me holding the baby. Sometimes this felt really unnerving and obviously i felt like a crazy person because i couldnt discuss this with anyone at the time.

Yes it is semantics. I like semantics. :p

From an animist perspective a virus is equivalent to a spirit for example. Same with the physics concept of 'spooky action at a distance'.

And yes chaos is relative and apparent chaos. For information entropy, entropy is the uncertainty of a variable or vector. The variable is called random but it need not be actually random - for example choosing a random person without knowing their age, their age value is entropic from your perspective.

Another example of this theory is watching a bird flying. If you see it flying straight, you can reasonably assume that it might still be flying straight in the next second, but can less reasonably assume that it will not have changed direction an hour from now.

Edit:
And yes very few things are actually random or chaotic. Most things above the quantum level are deterministic - the apparent fuzziness in predicting things does not necessarily come from things being random, it comes from your inability to predict the outcome.

A great example of this is coin flipping. Machines have been designed to flip coins with incredible bias. Humans also exhibit flipping bias. Experiments show that when a human flips a coin, even when they aren't trying to rig it, they subconsciously induce a bias which makes it not be 0.50 chance, but usually something more like 0.494 or 0.502

Edit edit:
And also on the note of relativity, what you see depends on what you're able to look at.
DNA databases for example. It is not practical to compare two DNA chains entirely, so what most databases do is look at a number of comparison points. I recall that one database was only looking at 10 reference points, which became a problem because the world population was becoming large enough that a collision was eventually probable (birthday paradox) if they only look at those 10 points. i.e. it would be eventually likely that two sets of DNA match at those 10 points, triggering a match even if they didn't match elsewhere.

Last edited:
Also, soul is said to be immaterial or incorporeal. Like spirit.

If you were to discover 'soul' and it is material or corporeal, is it still a soul? Or like viruses, when you discover how it works do you call it something else since it's no longer what you used to think it was?

[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]
You would appreciate this!
[video=youtube_share;2rjbtsX7twc]http://youtu.be/2rjbtsX7twc[/video]

Also note that quantizing is a tricky and somewhat arbitrary thing which is in itself abstracted from the 'real'

Take calculating delta v for example. Delta v can be calculated as a constant using other constants, so you can calculate how far a rocket can go based on how it is built.

i.e. you might get into low Earth orbit with a delta v of 9km/s which is constant for all rockets no matter how big they are. To calculate if your rocket can do that just requires that you take the thrust, the full mass and the empty mass to calculate the change in velocity, but none of this is in discrete units in reality. As the rocket accelerates and burns fuel it goes through a real gradient down to a nearly infinitesimal level where the particles themselves interact with each other, which is not useful to calculate because it would require really long decimal fractions, but even if you were to quantize it that far, there will still be divergent real properties that your little quantum separations can't account for.

996943_700279000000086_75638187_n.jpg

Indeed.

Quanta probably aren't entirely false either. If things are purely based on fields, then why is it when you cryogenically distill liquid air, you can capture the discrete elements contained therein, such as argon, neon, xenon, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc? How does each of those molecules 'know' to be itself, and not some combination of several?

Why is it that at some point in the process you can capture neon, and just neon, in order to manufacture lights and such? How would they have been able to get the argon and neon mixture to make nixie tubes?

Edit:
The point being that fields are not discrete. You can have a strong magnet, a weak magnet, or an in between magnet. However some particle effects appear to be discrete - i.e. they are either completely happening or completely not happening.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Quanta probably aren't entirely false either. If things are purely based on fields, then why is it when you cryogenically distill liquid air, you can capture the discrete elements contained therein, such as argon, neon, xenon, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc? How does each of those molecules 'know' to be itself, and not some combination of several?

Why is it that at some point in the process you can capture neon, and just neon, in order to manufacture lights and such? How would they have been able to get the argon and neon mixture to make nixie tubes?

Edit:
The point being that fields are not discrete. You can have a strong magnet, a weak magnet, or an in between magnet. However some particle effects appear to be discrete - i.e. they are either completely happening or completely not happening.

There are current studies being done trying to prove that some of the neurons in your brain have quantum qualities....that the left and right brain communicate via quantum mechanics i.e. they are both left and right simultaneously. How this is actually done is still unprovable...but there is something currently unexplainable at work!
It is truly fascinating!
This is a very long and intense paper, but very informative and enlightening nonetheless.
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/quantumcomputation.html

Yes. I'd imagine the partial separation of left and right sides of the brain as well as the partial separation of conscious and unconscious has a lot to do with it. Decoherence is also apparently reduced by appropriate EM fields. Also entanglement can be used to figure out things that are normally indiscernible.

However, the idea that the brain is both left and right simultaneously is at least partially problematic, and somewhat contradicted by what happens when the corpus callosum is severed.

Interestingly the entire brain may still cooperate to some extent without the corpus callosum but it does so in a markedly different way.

When patients with a split brain are shown an image in their left visual field (the left half of what both eyes take in (see optic tract), they cannot vocally name what they have seen. This is because the speech-control center is in the left side of the brain in most people, and the image from the left visual field is sent only to the right side of the brain (those with the speech control center in the right side experience similar symptoms when an image is presented in the right visual field). Since communication between the two sides of the brain is inhibited, the patient cannot name what the right side of the brain is seeing. The person can, however, pick up and show recognition of an object (one within the left overall visual field) with their left hand, since that hand is controlled by the right side of the brain.

The same effect occurs for visual pairs and reasoning. For example, a patient with split brain is shown a picture of a chicken and a snowy field in separate visual fields and asked to choose from a list of words the best association with the pictures. The patient would choose a chicken foot to associate with the chicken and a shovel to associate with the snow; however, when asked to reason why the patient chose the shovel, the response would relate to the chicken (e.g. "the shovel is for cleaning out the chicken coop").

Reactions: Quiet
[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]
Check this out! https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/d5d3dc850933

Makes sense. Considering that time is more than a rate of things changing. You need time to discern change, but also need time to discern a lack of change if change is expected.

If you're in a frozen universe, you can't notice that it is frozen, because you'd have to be unfrozen to notice it, and if you're in the universe and are actively observing it then it's not really a frozen universe. You're not frozen and are part of the universe.

Maybe if you're outside of the universe you can't see change because you might see everything at once. Like having every frame of a DVD superimposed to one static image.

Makes sense. Considering that time is more than a rate of things changing. You need time to discern change, but also need time to discern a lack of change if change is expected.

If you're in a frozen universe, you can't notice that it is frozen, because you'd have to be unfrozen to notice it, and if you're in the universe and are actively observing it then it's not really a frozen universe. You're not frozen and are part of the universe.

Maybe if you're outside of the universe you can't see change because you might see everything at once. Like having every frame of a DVD superimposed to one static image.
Well yes....but I also think it’s just that we don’t have the right equipment to view things on a quantum level accurately just yet....we have an idea but those tiny flashes of particles shooting off wildly in the LHC cannot be say...3D modeled and viewed like we would something with an electron microscope....yet. It’s like watching an ice cube melt on a winter day...there are changes happening, we just cannot observe them to really gain a grasp of how much activity (and there is a lot) is really going on.

You really need to read what Heidegger had to say about this stuff. He was all over it.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger/#CriCar

Yes. I believe Heidegger had a lot of things right (in a really drawn out and exhaustive fashion)
However a lot of people just aren't aware of it. Just as a lot of people forget what is 'out there' because they're constantly witnessing what is 'close to them'.

For example a lot of people imagine the Sun sitting still and the solar system orbiting it. This is not the case. The planets are not moving in circles through space, they are moving in curly spirals! The sun is orbiting the center of the galaxy, and the solar orbital plane is tilted in relation to the galactic orbital plane. If you were to give all the planets a comet tail and sit far out in space and watch them go, you'd see that the path of our planets resembles a helical corkscrew with the sun being the center of the helix.

Why Metaphysics fails to be adequate?
This is a metaphysical question !

If metaphysics would be inadequate, science would be gone...forever!