Tin Man

"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
To all the people who have created threads on this or other forums asking to be typed, why does it matter to you? People have spent so much energy in trying to determine their type and I'm genuinely curious as to what you think will happen once you know for sure. Do you believe it will be a profound revelation and have a significant impact in your life?

It almost borders on the obsession in some cases. The MBTI is not an all encompassing system and has numerous flaws in it's depiction of personality. You don't see this dedication with other personality systems and I cannot understand why people spend so much time dwelling on it.

Because it's fun thinking of possibilities, categories, ways we may be similar or different to other people, or can give insight into who we are and why.

For many, it's a false sense of security.

linus_Resized_300x286.jpg

I don't necessarily "care" about my type, but studying a bit of MBTI has helped me gain a better understanding of how I think and process the world around me, as well as others. It's actually improved how I communicate with people I know, but I don't say "OMG ESTPs are so annoying because of Se, ignore ALL of them!" or some BS like that.

why does it have to be bad or good? It just depends on how you use it? Sometimes, it's just fun to think of whether i fit into different types. It can help you appreciate various traits in our selves. Sounds like you're assuming on behalf of everyone that it is mostly a negative and that people should defend their use or interest in it. What makes anyone an ultimate judge of whether it's good or bad? If it doesn't make sense or work for you, then it doesn't make sense or work for you. It may be different for someone else. No one here is any better or smarter than anyone else for caring about their type. Yes, it can be overused, abused, used stereotypically, and used to discriminate, but again, these are "uses". Uses can be good or bad, depending on reason, motivation, or person. What may be useless to you may be beneficial to someone else.

Last edited:
To all the people who have created threads on this or other forums asking to be typed, why does it matter to you?

To better understand myself and others. As someone with a developmental disorder, I struggle with self-concept. I also have a pretty egocentric point of view, so it has helped to better understand how other people might see and think about things differently than myself.

People have spent so much energy in trying to determine their type and I'm genuinely curious as to what you think will happen once you know for sure. Do you believe it will be a profound revelation and have a significant impact in your life? It almost borders on the obsession in some cases.

I think [MENTION=1669]Maven[/MENTION] gave a great reason behind why many are fascinated by the system. I also think the obsessive part, at least for me, is to figure out how I fit into the system, so that I can better understand it. Furthermore, it has been a profound revelation to my understanding about myself and others.

The MBTI is not an all encompassing system and has numerous flaws in it's depiction of personality. You don't see this dedication with other personality systems and I cannot understand why people spend so much time dwelling on it.

I would argue that it's not so much a flawed system, as there is a lack of understanding of it. It is very simple and complex at the same time. People tend to over-think the simple parts and over-simplify the complex parts, in my opinion.

Back when I first stumbled upon the theory, I had looked at it as a way to better understand myself. I had been struggling to climb out of a crippling pit of depression. The ordeal left me broken and at the time, I felt like I was learning to be human again, re-teaching myself how to connect to myself and others. I thought if I knew what made me 'tick,' something would eventually click and I'd be myself again.

I then stumbled upon this community, which, as a whole, was especially preoccupied with self-discovery and analysis; a lot of the discussions I ended participating in were therapeutic and opportunities to help others with their problems also helped solidify my own beliefs and ideas about myself. There was a huge emphasis on type as well, so I endeavored to learn more about the theory. However, as time went on, I discovered that I became more caught up in the mechanics rather than its application (I was never satisfied; it was like I never knew enough about it) and the more I learned about it, the more disillusioned I became with the way that people used the theory. I found that the people who seemed to have the most information about the theory would twist it to suit their own biases and to satisfy their preferences for their type, as if type somehow defined rather than described them. This prompted me to take a good look at myself and my own understanding of my type and to what end I was doing all this research for. In the end, I realized that knowing my type wasn't what was important; it was the journey of self-questioning and analysis to get where I was that ultimately helped me heal.

At this point, I don't care about my type. It's arbitrary. I've reached the conclusion that there comes a time when you have to stop questioning and redefining yourself and just live, otherwise, you'll constantly be caught at the drawing board. Identity is developed through experience, not perpetual introspecting.

As for helping me understand other people, it's only acknowledged what I already, intuitively knew; people are different because their perspectives are different. I do better connecting with people on instinct, rather than theoretical basis, because it's already a natural ability of mine. There is no need to over-think it.

Last edited:
I think it is fun to think about and fun to talk about. I think MBTI is good for stereotyping people, but I've never needed to use MBTI outside of the forum or classroom - i.e. I don't believe there is much for real world application. I also think that some people are very obsessed with it and I don't know what their problem is.

Also I think that figuring out your type can be confusing when it seems that there is a general disdain of S types. They have a reputation for being dull, boring, authoritarian, and stupid. I suspect many people here are S's wont accept that they are. These people will forever be "lost" in the MBTI world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tin Man
Personally, at the end of the day I really don't care what my type is. But I do find it entertaining to hear what others perceive my type to be with the limited information provided. Whether they're right or not, it's fun to hear what they think.

I don't.

I used to think it'd be really cool as a way of quanitification and qualification to better understand myself and others - but ultimately, it's just four subjective letters.

Life is life. People are people - individual and dynamic. Ain't no MBTI going to nail that down exactly.

[Basically, take it with a grain of salt]

why does it have to be bad or good? It just depends on how you use it? Sometimes, it's just fun to think of whether i fit into different types. It can help you appreciate various traits in our selves. Sounds like you're assuming on behalf of everyone that it is mostly a negative and that people should defend their use or interest in it. What makes anyone an ultimate judge of whether it's good or bad? If it doesn't make sense or work for you, then it doesn't make sense or work for you. It may be different for someone else. No one here is any better or smarter than anyone else for caring about their type. Yes, it can be overused, abused, used stereotypically, and used to discriminate, but again, these are "uses". Uses can be good or bad, depending on reason, motivation, or person. What may be useless to you may be beneficial to someone else.

I'm not judging anyone for caring what their type is. I went through the same thing went I first came across the MBTI. The reason I'm asking is because the MBTI is so popular; people care very strongly about type and I'm just curious as to their reasons.

I would argue that it's not so much a flawed system, as there is a lack of understanding of it. It is very simple and complex at the same time. People tend to over-think the simple parts and over-simplify the complex parts, in my opinion.

That's probably true. I've read some articles by the people who created and refined the MBTI and they always made sure to warn people about how it can be misused. They also stress that it can't explain who you are which is what I've seen many people try to do.

Back when I first stumbled upon the theory, I had looked at it as a way to better understand myself. I had been struggling to climb out of a crippling pit of depression. The ordeal left me broken and at the time, I felt like I was learning to be human again, re-teaching myself how to connect to myself and others. I thought if I knew what made me 'tick,' something would eventually click and I'd be myself again.

I then stumbled upon this community, which, as a whole, was especially preoccupied with self-discovery and analysis; a lot of the discussions I ended participating in were therapeutic and opportunities to help others with their problems also helped solidify my own beliefs and ideas about myself. There was a huge emphasis on type as well, so I endeavored to learn more about the theory. However, as time went on, I discovered that I became more caught up in the mechanics rather than its application (I was never satisfied; it was like I never knew enough about it) and the more I learned about it, the more disillusioned I became with the way that people used the theory. I found that the people who seemed to have the most information about the theory would twist it to suit their own biases and to satisfy their preferences for their type, as if type somehow defined rather than described them. This prompted me to take a good look at myself and my own understanding of my type and to what end I was doing all this research for. In the end, I realized that knowing my type wasn't what was important; it was the journey of self-questioning and analysis to get where I was that ultimately helped me heal.

At this point, I don't care about my type. It's arbitrary. I've reached the conclusion that there comes a time when you have to stop questioning and redefining yourself and just live, otherwise, you'll constantly be caught at the drawing board. Identity is developed through experience, not perpetual introspecting.

As for helping me understand other people, it's only acknowledged what I already, intuitively knew; people are different because their perspectives are different. I do better connecting with people on instinct, rather than theoretical basis, because it's already a natural ability of mine. There is no need to over-think it.

Well said. A good analysis of the way that personality theory can aid but also be abused.

I wanna know because my objective is to leave this world happy, and MBTI really has helped me in self-improvement. Also, I wanted to find my calling, because I've been flittering around for so long from this to that, and it sucks to have a drive and energy and nowhere to channel it. Mainstream it's known as ADHD but I don't believe in ADHD; people have to find where to put that whirlwind of energy...

I didn't get myself, at times finding myself saying, "Now really, Vanadis, wtf are you doing?"

It's been a journey, and of course, I do NOT have all the answers, but I do have direction, and it's peaceful to have.

Mainstream it's known as ADHD but I don't believe in ADHD; people have to find where to put that whirlwind of energy...

Off topic, I know, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

As a child Gillian Lynne was considered difficult, lacking focus, restless, and a child who underperformed at school. Her teachers encouraged her mother to take her to the doctor. This was in the 1930′s and ADHD was unknown. The doctor observed Gillian and later asked to speak privately to her mother. While he did that, he turned on the radio in the room Gillian was in. She became a different person and just danced away. She was free and comfortable with who she was. The doctor told Gillian’s mom that her daughter was not sick, she was a dancer! Harnessing her skills, Gillian went to dance school. Here, she found others like herself who needed to move in order to think. Gillian later became a famous dancer, beginning her career at age 16 dancing in Swan Lake. She is also the choreographer for Cats and Phantom of the Opera.

in 2000, i found out what type i am thru a personality test our navy instructor gave us
it was just for fun at the time
and it fit me to a tee,
and helped me understand that i am really the only one of my type in my family
which really explained a LOT

but i didn't think about it much until i was in the midst of my second divorce in 2005,
had a lot of time to ponder why i just didn't fit in with anyone, it seemed
so i started research on my type, and spending a lot of time on personality forums
(first one was called introspectives.org or something like that)

anyways, after a couple of years posting and reading
and spent quite a bit of time on INTJ forum (which i loved cause it was so educational there)
but i was saddened too...
i found that there were ZERO forums specifically for the INFJ types...

so, in mid-2008, with the help of an eccentric ENTP, an ENTJ, and myself (INFJ)
we launched this forum (i did the administrative layouts and set the initial rules to start with)

to me, this forum, this place is my cyber-home...
i love being on this site, i wouldn't post anywhere else
at least, not with the intimacy i have here..

For many, it's a false sense of security.

linus_Resized_300x286.jpg

And for some, it's a real sense of belonging. I hope this system gets worked out and accepted more one day so that people don't have to hide who they are and "pretend" to fit into something they are not. This is probably why most of us can't even come close to figuring out who the fuck we are. We've spent most of our lives "pretending" just so we can get by and wasting our gifts because other people think it is wrong.

I like to see what my potential weaknesses might be, and work on them.

MBTI and enneagram are good tools to help us understand ourselves and others.

It briefly helped to clarify things.

Anyway, I was more interested in using to understand others.

I care because i would to like to fit into a group,i was never able to fit with regular folks,so i like to belong to INFJ-s.

And for some, it's a real sense of belonging. I hope this system gets worked out and accepted more one day so that people don't have to hide who they are and "pretend" to fit into something they are not. This is probably why most of us can't even come close to figuring out who the fuck we are. We've spent most of our lives "pretending" just so we can get by and wasting our gifts because other people think it is wrong.

"If you kicked the person in the butt who was responsible for your problems, you wouldn't sit for a week." :)