why do we ignore our intuition? | INFJ Forum

why do we ignore our intuition?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I've noticed a few situations now where I knew what was going to happen before it happened, saw the signs, and doubted myself. Although it later came through, I still doubted. Sometimes, I see things in my relationships with people and know where it's going but yet I ignore my feelings and still go there when I should have stopped myself. So, when you have these feelings or inclines, do you ignore, dismiss, or doubt it? Now, I don't think we should go with every feeling we have, but too often, it seems we ignore our intuition when we should have listened.

Last edited:
Good point. I think it has to do with society rewarding logic and encouraging people to argue their points scientifically ("Because I felt Y, I suddenly X and therefore I Z"). Intuition looks odd and subjective to sensors.

It's hard to trust what is unknown. I've had intuitions that are totally off base; what I thought what was going to happen didn't. Other times I've had strong intuition and did nothing, only to regret that I ignored it. There are a handful of times when I was spot on and wondered whether it was just a coincidence or not.

Last edited:
The world is a sensor-filled place. It is common to be thought that what you sense is real. Intuiting looks odd and by itself it is being ignored, systematically teaching everyone that imagination is weird. On one hand dominant intuitive individuals have a great opportunity to learn to balance themselves, witch could make them fulfil their potential a lot more, on the other hand, dominant sensors appear less likely to do so.

Funny thing is that this is by itself noticeable. Many stereotypical dominant sensors, wrapped inside their "realistic" point of view, stick to where they are, while many stereotypical dominant intuitives eventually while interacting with sensors, adapt to them. Of course as you might have noticed already this is a matter of your social surrounding, therefore the opposite is, obviously, possible.

I've noticed a few situations now where I knew what was going to happen before it happened, saw the signs, and doubted myself. Although it later came through, I still doubted. Sometimes, I see things in my relationships with people and know where it's going but yet I ignore my feelings and still go there when I should have stopped myself. So, when you these feelings or inclines, do you ignore, dismiss, and doubt it? Now, I don't think we should go with every feeling we have, but too often, it seems we ignore our intuition when we should have listened.

Following our intuition requires trust in our own selves. When you lack trust within yourself it becomes harder to trust our own inner guidance. To trust our inner guidance is to trust that your inner guidance will not lead to to a wrong place. Ultimately this will also require the person to trust the ebb and flow of the universe and what it has in store for you.

Intuition is the language of the soul and more you can connect with your soul; the easier it becomes to follow your intuition. Beliefs also play an important role. if you don't believe that you have intuition or that intuition is there to help guide you in the right direction; then it will not matter how much intuitive hits you recieve you will still not act on the intuition. To fully utilize intuition there must be active participation to follow the intuitive guidance. Like all things in life; the only way to know if your intuitive guidance was right is to take the leap and follow where it wants to take you. Otherwise intuition will stay as just another voice within ourselves that we cannot own up to.

Reactions: muir
I think we're taught to base all our decisions on fact, logic, and experience....and to ignore that 'feeing' we have.

I think getting back in touch with our intuition is key!

Reactions: muir
Many stereotypical dominant sensors, wrapped inside their "realistic" point of view, stick to where they are, while many stereotypical dominant intuitives eventually while interacting with sensors, adapt to them. Of course as you might have noticed already this is a matter of your social surrounding, therefore the opposite is, obviously, possible.

I'd like to think it's more that people are not allowed to let their natural inclinations be considered legitimate instead of treated as invalid because it's not the preferred way of seeing and doing things. At the same time, I do find I'm having to ignore or suppress my natural intuition with people just to communicate with them. It's like denying an important part of your self. I think this leads to doubting and ignoring intuition since you're being told to demean it's value or ignore it. We're told it's not valuable. It's also tough because you're having to deny what comes naturally to adapt to a world where everything is only legitimate if it is explicit and scientifically stated and argued. I don't think the answer is to view intuition as superior that we should only make decisions based on intuition or feelings, since that's not always reliable. However, I do think we should be able to trust our feelings if they've been proven valid rather than constantly doubting them as a rule just because it can't be immediately proven.

I'd like to think it's more that people are not allowed to let their natural inclinations be considered legitimate instead of treated as invalid because it's not the preferred way of seeing and doing things. At the same time, I do find I'm having to ignore or suppress my natural intuition with people just to communicate with them. It's like denying an important part of your self. I think this leads to doubting and ignoring intuition since you're being told to demean it's value or ignore it. We're told it's not valuable. It's also tough because you're having to deny what comes naturally to adapt to a world where everything is only legitimate if it is explicit and scientifically stated and argued. I don't think the answer is to view intuition as superior that we should only make decisions based on intuition or feelings, since that's not always reliable. However, I do think we should be able to trust our feelings if they've been proven valid rather than constantly doubting them as a rule just because it can't be immediately proven.

I never view Intuition as superior, but simply as ignored. As an intuitive I find sensing as something very valuable and it baffles me to see sensors viewing intuition as something unimportant.

Anyways … history speaks for itself. Sheep remain sheep, shepherds come and go.

I've noticed a few situations now where I knew what was going to happen before it happened, saw the signs, and doubted myself. Although it later came through, I still doubted. Sometimes, I see things in my relationships with people and know where it's going but yet I ignore my feelings and still go there when I should have stopped myself. So, when you have these feelings or inclines, do you ignore, dismiss, or doubt it? Now, I don't think we should go with every feeling we have, but too often, it seems we ignore our intuition when we should have listened.

It tells me to do some pretty wacky things sometimes.

I still plan to do most of it, it's just currently not the right time for all of it.

You know what, let the masses ignore their intuition …

… this, in many cases, leads them to think that I am superior, even if I defiantly am not.

There are a lot of advantages in the petty illusions of the masses, and even if you think that I am evil, think again. My actions would inevitably force the herds to access their intuition.

It tells me to do some pretty wacky things sometimes.

I still plan to do most of it, it's just currently not the right time for all of it.

yeah, I wasn't referring so much to just any feeling that tells someone to test how far they can go or do extreme or crazy things. I'm just talking normal, everyday decision making, in situations where a decision can make real differences in how something plays out. And I don't believe someone should just give in to every feeling. I think reason and logic is still an important part of the decision making process. Just maybe intuition should also be given a fair shot.

Ni, like the other introverted functions are prone to subjectivity. One the one hand it is too easy to trust them because it comes natural. Some would argue that introverted intuition is not just about having predictive abilities. It is also about making abstract connections about things that you are subconsciously receiving through our weaker sensing functions. Sensing is background noise that your mind processes and then puts together images, insights, and thoughts based upon this data. Ni makes connections and likes to project where those connections converge. The thing is though, another Ni dominant in the same circumstance, with the same data will likely come up with some different connections and predictions. Our subconcious minds will pull the data together in different ways, making it rather subjective. The only way to guage its accuracy is either through objective thinking or feeling. I find that I have a difficult time accepting principles that are not grounded in objective reality. Many of my connections start out not making much sense until I question, research, and pull in more data.

I have an extremely strong dominant Ni and when I KNOW that I KNOW, I can be particularly determined. The INJF motivational poster slide that reads, “SORRY, Mind closed until further notice! When we say our mind is made up, good luck changing it.” That’s me 100%!

I’m sure I must sound quite egotistical but when I think about situations/relationships that crop up – the stance I take is actually to safeguard those around me and to avoid eg, any explosive eruptions from occurring instead of looking to preserve my own sense of self.

However, saying that, I always discuss things with my INTJ husband (and anyone else whose opinion and advice I value as I think it’s challenging to gauge different interpretations) so am very open to listen but this privilege is only for a select group of individuals. Funny thing is, my INTJ always trusts my intuition and is fully supportive after any “What should I/we do now?” conversations.

I’ve trusted my intuition as a child (so have had lots of experience to test and discern things) and I believe this has kept me from harmful events which potentially could’ve taken my life in a different direction (long story!).

The regret that I would feel by not acting on these feelings and to later find out that a situation has gone horribly wrong would annoy me so much that I would want to punch myself!

Sensors drive me crazzzzy and I find their interpretation of situations quite amusing!! Of course, I don’t mean that literally!!

- Having other (more effective or successful) people tell you you are stupid or your imagination is silly all the time is going to make you internalize that idea
- INFJs have Fe so they naturally seek the opinions of others (Te users do this as well but in a different sort of way)

Good point. I think it has to do with society rewarding logic and encouraging people to argue their points scientifically ("Because I felt Y, I suddenly X and therefore I Z"). Intuition looks odd and subjective to sensors.
Intuition is the highest form of thinking. Intutition sees everything, the big picture. Its beyond logic, but not ilogic. Intution search for the ultimate pieces.
Intuition looks odd and subjective to sensors.
If one doesn't have intuition, one does have what is left, whcih is thinking and sensing. If one doesn 't have sensing or thinking, he doesn't have intuition either. I hope you know what I mean.

I never view Intuition as superior, but simply as ignored. As an intuitive I find sensing as something very valuable and it baffles me to see sensors viewing intuition as something unimportant.

Anyways … history speaks for itself. Sheep remain sheep, shepherds come and go.
Wow, that's very interesting. I always saw Intution as superior to Sensing and Thinking. And I'm not the only one...Jung, many philosophers, and many scientists, like Einstein.

I think it's interesting that people associated intuition naturally with MBTI Ni. I never included any mention of Ni in the OP because I didn't want to limit what intuition meant. I believe sensing has it's own gifts with picking up on things especially in the physical environment but it operates differently. My mom is an ISFJ and is quite intuitive. So, I don't want to limit intuition to being understood only through the MBTI's sensing/intuitive dichotomy. And I don't believe it's a one is better than the other argument. I think the personal experiences with trusting intuition are varied.

Often times your gut will tell you something but you won't have proof. And as an ideal I try not to blame things on people or judge people without proof. So it's not necessarily that I doubt my intuition, it's more that as a principle I know not to count on it.

That doesn't mean I won't use it to optimize my place in life.

I like to look at intuition as seeing potentials based on info being taken in from surroundings. Like it acts as an internal mechanism that prepares you for something that could happen, but you shouldn't automatically assume it will. The more we experience things and collect info, our brains will recognize patterns and prepare us for the assumed outcome if we see something familiar.

For example, I compare new people I meet to others I know/used to know based on a variety of traits. I know not to assume the new person is 100% like the old, but the similarities help me understand the person a little more until they act in a way that is different (then I adjust).

It's not foolproof, and sometimes I could wrongly compare people through misunderstanding (that's why I don't heavily rely on it), but it's a useful thought process and is often more right than wrong.

I like to look at intuition as seeing potentials based on info being taken in from surroundings. Like it acts as an internal mechanism that prepares you for something that could happen, but you shouldn't automatically assume it will. The more we experience things and collect info, our brains will recognize patterns and prepare us for the assumed outcome if we see something familiar.

For example, I compare new people I meet to others I know/used to know based on a variety of traits. I know not to assume the new person is 100% like the old, but the similarities help me understand the person a little more until they act in a way that is different (then I adjust).

It's not foolproof, and sometimes I could wrongly compare people through misunderstanding (that's why I don't heavily rely on it), but it's a useful thought process and is often more right than wrong.

I think this is another great way to look at intuition because it using pattern recognition and experience. I think [MENTION=6303]Jimmers[/MENTION] mentioned something similar when he spoke about matching what you intuit with objective reality.