Why are you religious? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why are you religious?

I am a deeply religious person. And for the "spiritual" gang in here, I don't see religiousity as opposed to spirituality, but as the FORM we give our spirituality. I am also a deeply spiritual person. I have to answer E) None of the above.

Yes, I was raised in an incredibly religious family. However, while that may give me a sense of comfort with religious community, most of my siblings have opted to be far less religious. I can only conclude that perhaps my upbringing is a factor, but NOT the decisive factor.

I think that I tend to choose friends that have similar interests. IOW, I'm not religious because I have religious friends, but I have religious friends because I'm religious. I tried getting involved in a local Jewish social club that was secular, and it just struck me as odd and uncomfortable that they didn't pray before they ate, for example. I didn't go back. See how it works?

I have had a lot of experiences that would be classified as spiritual, or religious, or ecstatic mysticism. However, if you look around the world, people have these experiences respond in many different ways. I think that, YES, they definitely lead me to be religious in SOME way, but the unique way of my OWN religiousness (tradition, ritual, liturgy, etc.) is not inherently an effect of these experiences.

I have discussed this with my brother on a lot of occasions, because I am the only one in my family that is like this. It has never been enough for me to have my own religious experiences.

1. I have always had the sense that I am fallible, and can benefit from standing on the shoulders of the great spiritual thinkers that have come before me. I have a deep appreciation for those religions that have stood the test of time, because wisdom is able to be "distilled" over the ages so that we don't keep having to reinvent the moral wheel.

2. Although I talk to G-d all day long in one long ongoing spontaneous prayer, I am ALSO deeply moved by the beauty of form prayers, what we call liturgy, especially when they are shared by many simultaneously. It's like asking me if I prefer free verse or a sonate -- I just like both. "Spiritual" sorts like to degrade liturgy, to say that people go through the form without feeling. How do YOU know? The rhyme and rhythm of a sonate is simply the lattice upon which the poem can grow. Who is to say that ballroom dancing isn't just as sexy as free form dancing -- maybe even more so!

3. I like Holidays. I ENJOY dividing the normal from the sacred, the weekday from the sabbath, the fast from the feast. I experience it like the waves on the beach, or the puffs of wind blowing my hair on a blustery day, like the seasons of the year that come and go. If there is a hell for me, it will be a hell of sameness, where the temperature is always 70 degrees and nothing good or bad ever happens. I don't want to live in the flatland -- I want hills.

I think the above three traits are biological and unique to me. They draw me to organized religions that have been around for ages.
Don't get me wrong. I have been a part of a buddhist group, an anthroposophical group, both briefly, but as I wasn't raised in a religious family (though they were namely Christian, but it's pretty typical to attend church about 10 times per lifetime here) it's not really a part of my identity or habits or a natural part of social functioning.
I celebrate the yearly holidays like Christmas and easter (and the pagan remnants like midsummer's day) but they are more cultural than having any deeply ingrained profound meaning for me. I have no beef with organized religion (anymore) and can understand that it fills the needs of many people. I'm also not saying that if you have a religious identity you're less spiritual. I'm just saying that religion is not God (or the alpha or the void or -insert term-) and that you don't need to have one to be devotional. I have a social identity and follow customs but they're not specifically within a religious group. I have a different preference. :)

I'll go ahead and apologize for my atheistic brethren causing trouble, but also, in their defense, naturalistic rationalism does occasionally impart feelings of superiority on to one.

So, what religion(s) might you undeclared spiritualists be, if any so apply? =3
None. :) I would consider myself a mystic. Some of the techniques I've used since childhood quite naturally I've later found in buddhist literature. My "go to books" range from Tao Te King, buddhist literature,Christian mystics, some basic treatises of Qabalah, more esoteric western authors like Dion Fortune and Lon Milo Duquette (who is a pistol!) and I love Sufi poetry. I also love philosophy and can find some very mystic ponderings for example in the works of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein. I also find many things that lift my spirit and that I'd consider spiritual in music too. Then there are many poets obviously that write about the experience of that which lies beyond duality.

Because people are confused, lost without having some belief that their lives mean something, that they are here for a reason, that there is a happy place we all go to so when people die we can make ourselves feel better. Cause we are weak. Spiritual. Or metaphysical. I hate both those terms but I guess they come closest. But religious. No. Kinda feel pretty arrogant to think I would have a clue if something so great and powerful did exist that I would have any idea about what it thought, if it thought, what it cared about, said. Etc. really a book fell from the sky? A big stone had some scriblings. Not because there was so much to do back then that some guy in the dessert didn't start scratching away at the stone. All just sounds a little crazy. Just my opinion.

I'll go ahead and apologize for my atheistic brethren causing trouble, but also, in their defense, naturalistic rationalism does occasionally impart feelings of superiority on to one.

So, what religion(s) might you undeclared spiritualists be, if any so apply? =3

Since you want a black or white answer, I choose: Unitarian Universalism.

None. :) I would consider myself a mystic. Some of the techniques I've used since childhood quite naturally I've later found in buddhist literature. My "go to books" range from Tao Te King, buddhist literature,Christian mystics, some basic treatises of Qabalah, more esoteric western authors like Dion Fortune and Lon Milo Duquette (who is a pistol!) and I love Sufi poetry. I also love philosophy and can find some very mystic ponderings for example in the works of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein. I also find many things that lift my spirit and that I'd consider spiritual in music too. Then there are many poets obviously that write about the experience of that which lies beyond duality.
Sounds like you are influenced by a wide-range of persons and ideas. Pretty neat. Most of the spiritual people I've met over the years tend to stay far away from Nietzsche. lol.

Since you want a black or white answer, I choose: Unitarian Universalism.
I'm a big fan of terms. :md:

I used to be more interested in mysticism and always thought I'd find a 'fit' one day… now I think the only real reason that I would ever become religious is because without it I probably wouldn't be dedicated to anything, or I wouldn't actively be reflecting on my spirituality. I do think it's important but without a religion I'm not really feeling very focused.

At the same time, spirituality never really strikes me as a communal thing or as something that needs to be talked about, discussed, or even thought about. I don't think that anyone could ever write anything down that wasn't at least a partial distortion… in most cases probably an enormous distortion, which is then adopted by politicians and turned into a means of manipulating the masses… and I know for certain that faith can turn people into extremely hateful, repulsive creatures who can't even be reasoned with, which is actually really terrifying.

1. Need for community.
2. Need for religious ritual and structure.
3. Need for a ritualized common meal.
4. Need for social support.
5. Need for a viable objective optimism through belief in a second life.
6. Need for an objective common purpose in the current life.
7. Need for absolution from guilt.
8. Need for individual purpose, not otherwise gleaned from other sources.
9. Need for divine assistance in achieving self-actualization.
10. A need for truth beyond the current existence.

Sounds like you are influenced by a wide-range of persons and ideas. Pretty neat. Most of the spiritual people I've met over the years tend to stay far away from Nietzsche. lol.
;D I can understand why. He's hardly overtly compassionate, but he has a certain passion and love for truth that I find inspiring. If you look past the prickliness there is a sensitive, brave soul in there.

D, I suppose.

I was brought up Muslim. My parents never forced the religion/beliefs on to me (they're not exactly 'religious' themselves) but in the last few years I found myself getting closer to the relgion, specifically the God aspect. I suppose this is because in the last few years my introversion started to flourish so as I started to feel more lonely and out of place, and thus my bond with God strengthened. Who better to know a person than the ultimate being, whom you've never seen -- only felt?

Until recently I was probably the most devout person in my family. Now, I find myself parting from the religion, but in that, becoming a stronger theist. My relationship with God is so much more personal to me than any other relationship I have/ever had. I find religion (in general - not just Islam) just doesn't cut it for me - I don't like being told exactly what to believe and what I should do to "express" this belief. But then here's the confusing part: I still identify with some of the beliefs and it doesn't really bother me (apparently I am/was a type 1 so Islam has played a HUGE part in helping me distinguish my right and wrong) but it does leave me in a state of confusion because it makes me wonder whether or not I actually am a Muslim, or just a theist.

Oh God, sorry. I completely went off on random tangents! When I start talking about my faith, words pour out faster than the voices in my head can say them! o.o

D, and Flavius's F.

It seems to me that the most common way to actively choose a christian life, is by a cumulative process. I don't know how it is in other religions, but i would guess it works similar. Among my brothers and sisters of faith i have heard many fantastic stories about divine encounters, but it's not often i hear that those experiences are the only reason for admitting to the christian confessions.

I mean, i had a lifeturning experience of the light of Christ in my early 20's, but i did not by that automatically become a follower of the christian faith. It took many years of active study, "coincidences" of life (meeting certain people at a certain time etc) and a series of consious decisions to come to the conclusion of confessing Christ and the church.

The two main reasons why i became a christian, as i stated first in this text, is the personal experience of being visited and moved by God, and that i actually belive that the statements declared by christian faith, considering the character of God, his power and doings, the state of human kind and the world etc, are true.

I feel like I am bettering myself by being under a spiritual leader and following certain disciplines. But primarily I just enjoy and feel the need to "give God his due", if you will.

I worship the animal within. It's the only spiritual connection I have. Without it I am plastic. A mannequin.

Is that just humanism? Primalism?

I worship the animal within. It's the only spiritual connection I have. Without it I am plastic. A mannequin.

Is that just humanism? Primalism?

Plasticism.

I'd like to meet one of those zealots. Perhaps at tupperware gatherings.

A combination of A and D, my parents raised me religiously but they weren't overbearing and gave me space to have my own journey as it were. And being religious for me was a conscious choice I made in my mid teens after previously living a very unexamined life. I didn't really have any core beliefs or world view and no basis on which to come up with any of these things, but through self examination and of the world around me, I solidified a belief in God and that is where my religiosity stems from. And this of course came about by my rejection of a purely materialist world view.

I believe that there is a single truth and all peoples have their own way of getting to it.

Organised religions such as Christianity and Islam contain the truth but also contain a LOT of myths made up and exaggerated by uninspired people over thousands of years.

I think the Genesis account makes perfect sense when looked at from an evolutionist perspective - not the creation part, but the fall of man.

I think Jesus of Nazereth knew the truth and became the Son of Man - something we all have the potential to do. He said we need the Truth and the Life. I feel, after much contemplation and a little help from outside sources, that I am getting close to the Truth but the Life escapes me still. I know what steps I need to take but I feel it may be a long road.

Jesus in the Gospel of Thomas said:
Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]

I am currently disturbed - it is a frightening prospect. That being said, if what I feel to be true is indeed the truth, all will be well.

I have considered myself an atheist in the past but there was always this nagging feeling that there must be some truth in religion that people were missing.

EDIT: First post, hello all! Hope you are well! :)

Reactions: AKM
I would like to be religious but not spiritual. Some kind of neopagan thing, probably.

lets hope final destination doesn't electcotrute yo' ass while at the computer. Get to finding, quick! Well... Or you can just 'believe' in the reincarnation or god mode when you die then you can take your time.

No shit... of course I'm upset. So why beat the dead horse further? I'm obviously not going to talk about my personal beliefs with you when you continue to push the situation.

Have some regard - Drop it.

You're acting like your spiritualism is some sort of repressed memory from childhood. You posted an ambiguous response, and they want further clarification - which you are veering away from, arousing suspicion about the validity of your beliefs and (possibly) whether or not you're a robot.

Although, I refuse to discuss my actual religious beliefs with this hotbox ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotbox ) so I see where you're coming from.

I have to disagree with this... a lot, actually.

oh wow im so shocked :m071:

Because people are confused, lost without having some belief that their lives mean something, that they are here for a reason, that there is a happy place we all go to so when people die we can make ourselves feel better. Cause we are weak. Spiritual. Or metaphysical. I hate both those terms but I guess they come closest. But religious. No. Kinda feel pretty arrogant to think I would have a clue if something so great and powerful did exist that I would have any idea about what it thought, if it thought, what it cared about, said. Etc. really a book fell from the sky? A big stone had some scriblings. Not because there was so much to do back then that some guy in the dessert didn't start scratching away at the stone. All just sounds a little crazy. Just my opinion.

let me quote my facebook status update for you

To anyone who believes being a cynical misanthropist makes you some eclectic pragmatist, who is enlightened to the banal unintelligent masses who don't understand their own "faux-pas," which with they soil themselves. It doesn't. It just makes you an ass. A jaded one, but an ass.

You're acting like your spiritualism is some sort of repressed memory from childhood. You posted an ambiguous response, and they want further clarification - which you are veering away from, arousing suspicion about the validity of your beliefs and (possibly) whether or not you're a robot.

Although, I refuse to discuss my actual religious beliefs with this hotbox ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotbox ) so I see where you're coming from.

"You're acting like your spiritualism is some sort of repressed memory from childhood."

Dude, you don't even make any sense with this comment. Obviously I wasn't willing to talk about it further so for both of them to continue with questions was annoying.

Stop bringing up a post from a month ago just to troll.

"You're acting like your spiritualism is some sort of repressed memory from childhood."

Dude, you don't even make any sense with this comment. Obviously I wasn't willing to talk about it further so for both of them to continue with questions was annoying.

Stop bringing up a post from a month ago just to troll.

I didn't realize it was from a month ago, I just came upon this topic now.

You are acting like that, they're asking questions and you're violently overreacting, but not even like a trollish manner that may be acceptable.

Don't tell me what to do or not to do in order to 'troll'

again though, chill out

oh wow im so shocked :m071:

Heh-- I'm pretty big on the sarcasm myself, but only in the service of some kind of point.

If your point was that I'm anti-religious, then I guess that that's true... but at the same time I can accept religious people and their right to practice their religion... I can also accept that they're individuals who deserve respect insofar as their beliefs don't imply some sort of innate moral, spiritual or intellectual superiority, or demand that I agree/conform in order to be 'good'.