Why are you nice? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why are you nice?

I suppress my naturally abrasive tendencies to get better results.

I think there's a difference between coming off as "palatable" and being genuinely nice.

It's generally disadvantageous to come off as curt, rude, awkward, etc. However, to me, being genuinely nice implies being selfless, considerate, etc., and many of the people I know who are of the palatable type are douchebags when it really matters.

Maybe because niceness is quite a Feelie sort of thing, you just aren't aware some of the time of what you are doing naturally? As far as being put on by others abusing your hospitality - well join as an honorary member of the infj club for life wounded victims of that!

Yeah - I definitely think I'm only usually aware of how nice I am retrospectively. I'm also fucking terrible at pretending to be nice if I really dislike someone, to the point at which I basically refuse to do it.

Idk, I guess I’m nice cause I want other people to be nice to me. And honestly, most of the time, they’re not. But when I was younger and more influenced by pride and ego, I wasn’t as nice a person. And it brought me nothing but anxiety and contempt. That’s no way to live well. Being nice on the other hand brings me joy and peace, and I’ll take that over anxiety and contempt any day.

Well said, guitar wizard. I also agree: where are all these nice people in real life? Most people seem too absorbed in whatever they're doing to really give a fuck.

Then I can get pretty mean I guess and hit them with the truth sort of. Either I tell them exactly what I think or I just forget they ever existed and never speak to the person again.

I'm not easily provoked, but everyone has their limits and I'm certainly no different.

I need to get better about hitting people that I'm pissed at with the truth. Unless you're close to me, I'll generally just ignore you, and relentlessly so. It's noticeable to the point where people tend to joke about it more than I would like...

I'm not sure if I'm a nice person or not, but I really appreciate when others are. It gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling inside whenever I see it happen on the streets, at home or in forums such as this one. Like Ren said, it is very underrated especially in our western culture where it's all about fighting dirty in order to get ahead and be successful. However, it's wonderful how a simple act of kindness and appreciation can change someone's day for the better. Just a small gesture such as smiling and telling someone to have a nice day can have a great impact.

Totally agree. I also really appreciate it when others are nice! One of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum...

It's natural to me... It's hard to not be nice, actually it's not healthy to be ''too nice'' and it's important to learn to say no. Still learning to not be overly kind, because not everyone deserves it. Otherwise just getting hurt in the end.

You are like the nicest person in the world! Good points, too.

it's also possible that a lot of the people in my life have not been very happy or mentally healthy.

Probably, there's a lot of people with a lot of problems in the world

I'm wondering if this is how human beings just are. We don't often think about what others do for us, but instead take them for granted.

I don't think it's intentional, most of the time

Your perspective on reciprocity and reception is a lot more positive than mine

Sometimes maybe. Depends on my mood. I try to not overthink stuff because it mostly gets me in trouble. Sometimes I hate people, sometimes I love people. As long as I give myself permission to feel and think whatever the fuck I want, I can generally navigate the physical world in an ok fashion.

Yeah - I definitely think I'm only usually aware of how nice I am retrospectively. I'm also fucking terrible at pretending to be nice if I really dislike someone, to the point at which I basically refuse to do it.

The problem with niceness is that it can come over as a submission response. That means that some of the people we are nice to then treat us as a pack inferior. It doesn’t matter a lot with casual contacts, but it can be a real problem with people we are involved with more frequently - colleagues, friends, family. The trouble is then that if the ‘nice’ person feels put on they often respond by turning nasty, at least in the eyes of the other. There’s always a subtext to these emotion charged interactions - at the very least a passive aggressive expression of grievance with an underlying attempt to swap the pack dominance positions (this almost always unconsious). An extreme example - it’s quite a problem for a temperamentally nice manager who can end up as the social inferior of their team, responding in all kinds of silly ways to try regain the high ground - and this renders leadership impossible and at worst can make them look tragic to everyone else. I think the answer is to recognise the range of ways we have to respond to people and take control. There is a broad spectrum of behaviour possible between drop dead niceness and piss on your granny. A good alternative is to use assertiveness rather than grievance or aggression and direct it at the subtext of the interaction rather than the trigger. Sounds technical but it isn’t in practice, though it does have to be very deliberate and conscious and controlled. So if the issue is being taken for granted, that should be the focus- raise it with them and if the other person then talks about you coming over as unreliable suddenly, or emotional, or even interfering, then you’ve got it out into the open with a possibility of resolution. Some of the best relationships can come from a bad start, then mutual respect from getting down to talking about and resolving differences together. It isn’t easy to do this though it does get easier with practice. It doesn’t have a 100% success rate either - though partial success is more likely than complete failure.

Last edited:
Am I nice? I have spent so much time analysing my behaviour to death that I rarely classify it. Since I have determined to internally go with the flow instead of swimming against what I think and feel, I have realised that everything I do has never been done for coming across a certain way - I am only ever who I am. I can't lie, so I am always honest to the best of my knowledge. I can't stand people being hurt or stuck or feeling anything negative at all, so I do my best to help wherever I can. For the rest of the time I am pretty much keeping to myself. I guess that last part is my defense, ever since school, and despite my best efforts to be social it has been reactivated recently.

The problem I have with niceness is that you never really know when it is genuine in people who seem to overflow with it. I think I have developed a feeling for it, but there is still a lingering mistrust in people who are too nice to be genuine. Those people usually have something to hide and having something to hide among people like us doesn't fare well. The truth has a way of revealing itself with time. I honestly prefer those who act like they hate everyone but secretly don't. It is a much more understandable defense than faking closeness to keep people away.

Personal preferences aside, I think being who you are, whether it is inherently nice or not (although it usually is), is the healthiest way to go. You show others where they stand and they would show you in return. I think that is pretty utopian and doesn't work out practically, but if you don't start, how will others adopt your ways (at the very least around you)? By being who you are and being comfortable with it, you can show them a potentially better way of being, by honouring who they are. Of course, there is always the possibility of being duped, played or bullied in the process, but so long as you know who you are it gives you the upper hand in any situation. Because if you always are yourself, and aren't liked or appreciated for it, you definitely know where you stand. I have made the experience that honesty has a way of revealing fakeness in others. They are irritated by it and tend to lash out, if they don't avoid you right away and/or try to cut you off socially. This is when you learn who you can trust. The ones that stand by you in times like these are the real treasures, the ones that continue to include you when they are faced with the choice of leaving you for the sake of popularity. I used to be so unpopular in school for having lived through that, lol. I used to hate people for such disloyalty, but with time I have learned that people will always choose the path of least resistance. For me, because of my sheer incapability of being anything other than myself, it was harder than for others, who see the simplicity in adopting the lastest trends in personality traits. It was just who they are, they were teenagers still figuring themselves out, so after a while I had learned to accept that.

Does that stop me from being nice? For a while, I think it did. I still have a very unapproachable attitude in real life, whether I am being nice or not. It's a choice I make anew each day. Some days I just want to be left alone and not be engulfed by other people who only care for themselves. But most days I want to give some of myself to the world, to make it just a tiny bit better by being true to myself because I am happy with who I turned out to be that day. In the end, it doesn't matter who can appreciate that you're being nice to them. It's you being happy or at least content for having made the choice to be nice to them, especially when they are not capable of returning that niceness. Because maybe, just maybe, you can teach them a better way to be by showing them who you are.

Because being nice is underrated! :)

I think my personal motto is something like this: "In the absence of reasons to the contrary, be nice."
You told me that kindness was underrated once when I was feeling lame about being such a Hufflepuff. It made me feel really good. Jus sayin

You told me that kindness was underrated once when I was feeling lame about being such a Hufflepuff. It made me feel really good. Jus sayin

I genuinely think it is! And there's nothing wrong with being a Hufflepuff. You're a strong Hufflepuff :)

I genuinely think it is! And there's nothing wrong with being a Hufflepuff. You're a strong Hufflepuff :)

:<3yellow:
It means a lot coming from you.

giphy.gif

I think there's a difference between coming off as "palatable" and being genuinely nice.

It's generally disadvantageous to come off as curt, rude, awkward, etc. However, to me, being genuinely nice implies being selfless, considerate, etc., and many of the people I know who are of the palatable type are douchebags when it really matters.
I don't identify as a nice guy because generally when people think you care, they walk all over you. The exceptions to this rule are beautiful examples in humanity.

I've always been someone who teases others, is overly sarcastic, and says insensitive things more often than I would like.

That being said, I've been told I'm very nice by enough people that I've finally accepted it.

When I think back (often when "looping") to many of the times I was extremely nice to others, despite the reason, I realize that it blew up in my face. I was taken advantage of, the person used it to make themselves look better and/or make me look worse... my net "position" in the situation was basically lowered. There are very few people that have generally expressed any sort of positive response to it (and sometimes people act really weird or guilty about it), and that can be frustrating, because I'm not necessarily nice "by default".

I have a few hypotheses:
  • I've mostly surrounded myself with IxTx types my entire life: they often have difficulty expressing appreciation to others for the things others do, and they also may not empathize as much if they (unintentionally or intentionally) take advantage of this.
  • There's very rarely inherently an upside to being nice; we do it because it feels right... a superego thing.
  • I'm "bad" at being nice. I don't smile enough when I'm doing it, I don't make a big deal out of it (except for when ranting on the internet :laughing:), etc.
I don't really know why I go out of my way to make others good, help them out of difficult situations, etc. I end up exerting a lot of energy and time to do so, but I continue to do it. I often think about just focusing more on myself, which would potentially be a net benefit for my self-development in my own life, but I always fall into these patterns of helping others and then end up worse than I started. I start to think that this world was made for assholes.

Thoughts? In my experience, INFJs are some of the nicest people around, and they may actually be a perfect example of the kind of people that will help others to the detriment of themselves (except for the Hitler sub-type).

Have you tried doing something different than what you normally do?

How are we defining "nice"? Is it enough to not be rude, or does doing things for others also come into it?

Reactions: Wyote
I don't know if being an INFJ makes me any nicer than any other type, I know lots of people that are nice while I can be very cool and dark. As for Hitler, he is not a "subType" He believed very strongly that he was doing the right thing for his people, and convinced of his moral standing. As for me, I can be well, "warm" but most people find me or think me kinda cold because I don't talk much to them and don't go out with them after work for drinks. My techs even kinda sweat when I enter the room even though I have never yelled or treated any of them badly, they just believe for some reason I am mean. I admit I keep most people, even people I have known for years at arm's length, mainly because I don't trust them, I hate the fake smiles and greetings like we're long lost brothers or something when minutes before I entered the room they were talking in hushed tones about me. The two friends I have one is INTJ, the other is ENTP, both very nice people who get me. I wouldn't really worry about being nice if that's what you want to do, Just be you and to hell with everyone else. Do what's right because it is right and not what others believe is right. Live your life on your own terms, People get so hung up about being nice, they never realize being nice and being kind are two different things. As an INFJ growing up I had a hard time saying no to people, I let them walk all over me because I wanted to be "nice", and wanted to be liked so saying no was hard. But later I realized I don't have to be nice as long as I am kind, being nice is a doormat while doing being kind is what I was actually striving for. Nobody ever said, "Be Nice To One Another", no, they said be kind, theirs a difference.

Reactions: Ginny and Wyote
I'm pissed for being so god-damned nice. I just let this fucking guy sit next to me on this crowded ass bus and I don't even have enough room for my legs.

EDIT: Got up and changed seats. Holy fucking shit. The fucking prick wouldn't close his fucking legs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginny and Ren
I'm pissed for being so god-damned nice. I just let this fucking guy sit next to me on this crowded ass bus and I don't even have enough room for my legs.

EDIT: Got up and changed seats. Holy fucking shit. The fucking prick wouldn't close his fucking legs.

You're alright, Pin! Think about how delightful it feels to be away from him now ;)

Reactions: Wyote and robert
Reactions: Pin and Wyote