who all uses Ubuntu? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

who all uses Ubuntu?

I've used Linux as my daily driver on a Thinkpad for a few years. It's fine as long as your hardware is supported and you're willing to put up with the occasional quirk.

I haven't used Ubuntu (unless you count Linux Mint) since probably 8.04. It was great to get started with, but I have issues with the standard UI and I recall something about advertisements being stuffed in the package manager or something crazy like that.

Crunchbang was my distro of choice (RIP). Terminator was especially a dream at my last job when I had to have at least 2 terminal sessions for each ticket (had to reimage both nodes in a cluster at the same time, usually...). I know all of this can be done with a base Debian install, but I just don't care enough to go through all of that when there's already a distribution that has exactly what I want.

I've used a few distros and Ubuntu was one of them for a short time. It wasn't my favorite but it was pretty simple.

I made the hard choice to just use Windows even though I was extremely torn about it. If I didn't like PC games so much I'd probably not use it (and there was a while when I didn't play games and didn't use Windows but alas) I do like the functionality that Linux has.

My macbook pro DIED. If it didn't, my daily driver would be mac.
So now I'm using an old piece of shit laptop. Because it's old, I'd lean towards using a low resource intensive distro like crunchbang (just read a couple days ago they're ending). I don't hate Windows, and I don't even prefer linux, but Windows is dragging ass on this piece of shit. Unfortunately I can never part from Visual Studio. So Windows it is.

I put Windows 10 preview on my old 2GB ram desktop: major ass draggage. So I will (probably tonight) put ubuntu MATE on it. It's my favorite all around distro.

Yes I have used it, very useful for older laptops etc. I was given a laptop to try to fix, and used it to get the thing to boot up, diagnosed the problem etc.