Jan 17, 2010
Earth
MBTI
IxTP
Enneagram
human
who all uses Ubuntu?
what version, and why do you use it?

For me, Lucid Lynx, and because it's awesome: more free stuff than Windows, better structure, awesome community development and support, etc.

Reactions: PintoBean
Ubuntu NAI got me into. I really like version 10.10. The newest version 11.04 is a bit wierd, it is about the customizing it. openSuSe is a great alternative as well.

Kubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) here. And I'm lovin it. XD
Why?
- It's free.
- Ubuntu has one of the best support for hardwares.
- Community.
- I found programing here easier for me.

I used to use it about 2 years ago. Because I was so frustrated with windows. But I gave up on it when windows 7 came out.

My best real life INFJ friend uses it on her laptop, but uses her Windows desktop more often. The laptop was a very cheap one that was given to her by her now husband (before they were even engaged), a presumed ENTP that also set it up for her and handles any issues that might be above her head. I believe he uses Linux far more than she does.

I used to be friends with several math majors who used it, but I have not talked to them in a while. I no longer have a way to contact the biggest fan of Linux I know because he deleted his Facebook account after moving to Google+.

I've meant to try it, but not gotten around to it yet. Maybe I should test it out first on this, my old laptop (which I'm using now despite its slowly failing screen because my newer one's AC Adapter stopped working 8 days ago and the replacement I ordered online could take another week to arrive), before risking it on the newer laptop that contains any files I might actually need.

*raises hand*
any tips on learning the command line/terminal and other non-basic features?
I quickly adjusted from windows 7 (native on my computer, now Lynx is my default bootup), but feel like I am just using the GUI and nothing special. I want to learn scripting and command line. books the best way to go about that?

What do you use ubuntu for?

start off by instead of using any GUI configs to edit things use the cli

any cmds you don't understand, you can usually type

man cmdname

it should explain the cmd and give some examples of use

*is memorizing this post for when she can't sleep*

12.10 doesn't like me.
The feeling's mutual.

In addition to refusing to use any kind of open source driver, the proprietary broadcom driver starts installing, only to stop and revert halfway through, rendering my wifi useless.
Also, while i think the shopping lens is cool, and a neat idea for funding for Canonical, i think it should be manually enabled, or prompted at install, rather than automatically.

I need to either resolve this wifi issue or downgrade back to 12.04. I don't like the direction Ubuntu/Canonical has been headed lately (read that: after 10.04, though 12.04 isn't half bad.)

Been debating about switching to another distro entirely. Heard a lot of people like Arch, but not sure i'm ready for that yet. I was just getting a hang of bash, debain, and synaptic.

Using BT5R3 as a temporarily replacement (I don't do Win7 unless I have to) running on 64-bit and KDE. A nice enviorment, but the tweaks to the Ubuntu/Debain base seem to cause a lot of package conflicts (esp. LibreOffice.)

/rant for old thread

I use Ubuntu, I still use 12.04 as I didn't see any reason to upgrade. I prefer it over Windows for numerous reasons, all which have been stated on this forum, but mostly because it offers far more freedom than Windows does. I have switch over to Windows to play most computer games which is annoying.

Reactions: rawr
Another Ubuntu user here. I started out with Hardy Heron (08.04) and now use Lucid Lynx (10.04). I've installed the Netbook remix versions or various other distributions of Linux on friends' low spec laptops and netbooks, dabbled with the command line and occasionally use Linux live CDs to recover data from friends' Windows PCs when they crash and Windows won't start. I run Windows in Virtualbox too for when I need to open something that works best with Windows.

i'll probably switch to linux for my desktop, when i next reload my pc(usually every 6 months or so) ubuntu is the easy option, but will probably fedora or even centos, as the server runs centos and the differences between redhat based and debian based distro's will just confuse me

just got around to trying 14.04 - not bad - they've definitely improved some things. Not sure I like the direction Canonical/Ubuntu's headed in general.

I'm using Arch now, but it's a bit of a PITA.

When I'm not using OpenBSD, I like Ubuntu server, not the desktop. I generally don't use linux as a desktop, but I do like to try them out to see what's new. Unity is a deal-breaker.

just got around to trying 14.04 - not bad - they've definitely improved some things. Not sure I like the direction Canonical/Ubuntu's headed in general.

I'm using Arch now, but it's a bit of a PITA.

You're hardcore brah, not like those script kiddies using ubuntu.

at work my linux desktop runs kubuntu 14.04 (trusty tahr), although our server fleet consists of mainly red hat enterprise linux and solaris. i am much more familiar with kde than gnome, and like that apt will solve all my dependency problems. my other work computer is a lenovo with win7, used just for email and internet explorer - and i usually just remote desktop into it when i have to. at home, i'm a mac.

I would not use linux as my "daily driver". The distros I'd use with the least chance of me wanting to switch are ElementaryOS and Ubuntu MATE