which MBTI types get most benefits from therapy? | INFJ Forum

which MBTI types get most benefits from therapy?

myst

Community Member
Sep 29, 2009
MBTI
infj
Do you think any MBTI type would get more benefit from therapy than other types?

I LOVE therapy, for 2 years now with my one and only therapist!! We are really fighting and working towards my HEALTH strongly. He really is not giving up on me. He is a psychoanalyctical therapist but he recently took a course and now looks to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy principles just for me!! And it has been really helpful so far. He means the world to me, but if I told him he would probably consider termination haha.

I don't know if it applies to all, but at least for me, ENFP, it has been very benefitial.

I would think there is a weak corralation to NF's receiving the most benefit from therapy, and ST's receiving the lowest benefit. Nevertheless, anyone can benefit therapy if they have the mindset for it to work for them.

Thanks for the interesting replies... I'm hoping to hear some more ideas before I say what I'm thinking :)

I don't think type really matters here. Where benefits are concerned, it's all about how you approach the concept and your relationship with your therapist.

I think some types feel they do benefit more because of the ability to talk things out when working with a therapist. I think NFs tend to see themselves as benefitting more from it.

I think some types feel they do benefit more because of the ability to talk things out when working with a therapist. I think NFs tend to see themselves as benefitting more from it.

I think NF's are more inclined to seek therapy, but the flip-side is, most NF's are pretty self-aware to begin with; with a poor therapist, they will quickly realize that they're paying someone to tell them what they already know.

Not to step on any toes here, of course.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I would think there is a weak corralation to NF's receiving the most benefit from therapy, and ST's receiving the lowest benefit. Nevertheless, anyone can benefit therapy if they have the mindset for it to work for them.

Just to add to this NF would probably benefit from therapy not rehabilitation.

Thats why I'm currently not in therapy can't afford long term counseling and everyone I go to only wants to do a few visits of therapy and they focus on rehabilitation method.

On that note I think therapy would benefit every type if you gave them the kind of therapy that worked best for them.

If that means talking, working, rehabilitation, planning, drug therapy, and more. I think that each type would really do well if you worked in way that respected their needs. But also supported how they cope with issues.

Last edited:
I think NF's are more inclined to seek therapy, but the flip-side is, most NF's are pretty self-aware to begin with; with a poor therapist, they will quickly realize that they're paying someone to tell them what they already know.

Not to step on any toes here, of course.

I agree with this actually.

On that note I think therapy would benefit every type if you gave them the kind of therapy that worked best for them.

Weather thats talking, working, rehabilitation, planning, drug therapy, and more. I think that each type would really do well if you worked in way that respected their needs. But also supported how they cope with issues.

Yes, quite agree.

I tried therapy for a while, it was actually a detriment and I began cutting again so my therapist said we would have to stop. It was more harmful that helpful because I couldn't do any talking, instead all I did was sat there and cried. But for me tho, it's because I have a rare OCD and he thought I'd need a more specialized form of help that pertained specifically to my disorder, but I simply can't afford it right now...

The couple's counseling that my bf and I did together last year was actually ok. I found that I was applying the teachings irl, but he was having a harder time grasping it outside of the counseling office, so it felt like a one way street. He is an ST though, so maybe it does have a bearing on type.

Yes, I agree INFJ's are very self aware, and my counselor was always so amazed at how well I knew my self, and sometimes he just sat there quietly, thinking and trying hard to come up with something to say, that I didn't already know, lol

Blind Bandit, what is rehabilitation?
I was thinking along the lines of what TDHT said. The couples counselor we saw seemed good the first time though. (we is me and bf, not TDHT ;P)
It's helpful to me to hear what you said Ria. I thought that too, with my bf, but I wasn't expecting anything to happen with one visit, so I'll keep seeing how it goes. My bf is 10 years older than me and I wonder if his age might help him in developing his other "functions", or whatever you call it- his NF I mean I guess.

I was thinking along the lines of what TDHT said. The couples counselor we saw seemed good the first time though. (we is me and bf, not TDHT ;P)
It's helpful to me to hear what you said Ria. I thought that too, with my bf, but I wasn't expecting anything to happen with one visit, so I'll keep seeing how it goes. My bf is 10 years older than me and I wonder if his age might help him in developing his other "functions", or whatever you call it- his NF I mean I guess.

We were going for 3 months, my bf has been trying harder to apply those teachings tho this time round since we have ben back together after a 3 month break up. (we reunited in september).

The one main thing that the counselor told him, was that he needed to listen to me when I pointed out the patterns and directions of issues when they were going wrong. The counselor said that I had both eyes open, had a gift of insight and knew myself and my bf uncannily well.

It might be really good to have some separate sessions (individual) first, so the counselor gets to know both of you individually first, before he can work with you as a couple. He may be able to guide your bf to listen to you also, even if he is ten yrs older than you. (you being NF is a gift regarding this!)

Good luck hun! :)

Thanks again Ria! It's helpful to hear more of how it went for you.

I don't think my NF is as strong as yours. I'm not always that patient w my bf. When he says he doesn't have any feelings about something, I'll just back off take it for what he says (even though I don't totally believe it) and sometimes get frustrated with him for ignoring me or being insensitive or whatever. So the counselor probably shouldn't and wouldn't just tell him to listen to me. :redface:

For now (since yesterday) I'm trying to ignore my past frustrations and start again. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep that up for long because I think I've done it quite a lot of times before and I don't know when or if there's a point where it doesn't make sense to keep repeating yourself. But he is trying the therapy and he's the one who has wanted to stay together, so I think I should try. I was surprised how good he was at therapy... sort of innocently open I thought. But the openness didn't last past the therapy session... I'm thinking about how the therapist got him to feel some emotions.... anyway, that's all for now

I'm referring to someone how helps you plain and take action. Someone who has contact. Kind of like a work scout or job consoler. They may also take on a traditional counseling role as well.