Where is all of this going, and why now? | INFJ Forum

Where is all of this going, and why now?

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
Has anyone stopped to wonder why there has been so much increased interest world wide in cognitive function theory, on personal and especially academic and scientific levels?

Has anyone stopped to wonder where all of this is going?

The answer is pretty simple. Artificial Intelligence. Computers will never truly be able to imitate intelligence until we unravel cognition, how it works, and why. Science has been trying (for the life of me I've never been able to understand why) to develop true Artificial Intelligence since the inception of the possibility of it technologically.

You have to map out cognition in order to program cognition.

Because the only thing worse then a zombie apocalypse is a robot apocalypse.

Reactions: VH
There is alot involved with adding the mechanised elements to the natural one, it needs to be more then just thought process, it as to natural. That I assume will be even harder then figuring out how to bing the gognitive process of a man to a machine.

Obviously, but it's an integral step. If it is not made, the technology won't work, no matter what else is discovered.

True, all part of the same puzzle in the end.

They recently created a computer/robot that can generalise.

This is a monumental step forward for AI. It won't be long now.

Can't find it on google. help anyone?

The answer is pretty simple. Artificial Intelligence. Computers will never truly be able to imitate intelligence until we unravel cognition, how it works, and why. Science has been trying (for the life of me I've never been able to understand why) to develop true Artificial Intelligence since the inception of the possibility of it technologically.

That's very perceptive on your part, at least in my case. I've been trying to program my computer to reason, emote, and communicate with me since I was 7. I didn't know it at the time, but I was trying to create AI. And I've never stopped trying...

Yes. I think on some level, that's the core of why I'm so interested in Typology. Part of me hopes at some point that I'll be able to use it to synthesize and predict human behavior, which would allow me to program it into a computer.

Even if I can't do so, it would enhance my ability to understand what's going on in other people's heads at an even higher resolution than my current hunches. It would make me nearly psychic.

Last edited:
vampire robot nazi's who are also zombies, apocalypse.

Reactions: enfp can be shy
You are right on the spot - back in the youth of Chomsky he more or less managed to push the whole trend of psychology towards cognitive sciences, due to the interest this had for computer science. (he turned out incorrect for some of the direction of his work, particularly language acquisition..)

However, by now the AI that seems to be most likely to happen first would not be from this abstract high-level approach, but rather simple bottom-up simulation of the physical building blocks of brains. Then the understanding of cognition will come naturally, and will be so much improved that our current cognitive science would look as alchemy to chemistry.

Having AI is good, just like having computers and nuclear technology - there are some silly fluctuations, but on the long run this has influenced the reduction of wars and helped solve scientific problems which improved the quality of life. In my opinion, it is good to be able to connect brains to tech, just in case it's necessary sometimes, and could help save a life, but there's no reason to overdo it. Just like you do not make the transportation to be permanent part of your body, you don't need the thinking machine as part of your body. That would be silly, and they'll have to realize it, if they try to popularize it. It would be attachable and detachable, like your computer is. If you are afraid of interacting with machine that is smarter than you - well, you already do. It doesn't hurt.

The interest in Jung/MBTI seems to be more in the workplace and social settings than in the lab with computer programmers. The MBTI is marketed as a tool for organizing personal and social compatibility and occupational interests. I don't see a lot of neurologists taking interest in it.

Sometime last year, I was actually thinking about becoming a computer programmer to find some way to replicate cognitive functions using software. That idea was short lived as I determined that I would not be able to help people as much as I would like to in such a career. And besides I agree with you to some extent that artificial intelligence may not be such a great idea after all.

I have noticed that the more advanced our society becomes, the more mentally lazy a great deal of our population becomes. In mathematics, calculations that could be done mentally are sometimes done by calculator. And I think that this poorly affects math scores in the long run. Take for example proving questions involving trigonometry, for some angles you have to remember certain values in order to "get" the proof. While technology is all well and good and should continue to advance, if we jump to developing systems which are actually "intelligent" as we are capable of being it can have negative consequences for humanity.

I think also that artificial intelligence has become a sort of cultural phenomenon in the sense that it seen as being a marker for an advance civilisation. Lots of people see technology as the sole marker of being advance and artificial intelligence is seen as the "ultimate" technology. So some scientists, in their quest to advance society, may focus a great deal on wanting to develop artificial intelligence. Personally I think we need to psychologically advance society- more than technologically advance it- in order to become a truly advanced society. I believe technology is best put to use in subservience to psychologically advancing society, rather than trying to replace psychological advancement with artificial intelligence

Was it racist?

Thats the problem. they were trying to turn it into a male chauvenist pig but to their dismay they realised they had created an INFJ robot that just wanted to hug everyone

The Pentagon wasn't happy

Back to the drawing board

It seems that the most crucial step in making artificial intelligence would in fact be the making of artificial will/desire.

Even if a machine could understand in the same way we can, there would not necessarily be any desire to know/learn/choose.

Has anyone stopped to wonder why there has been so much increased interest world wide in cognitive function theory, on personal and especially academic and scientific levels?

Can you cite specific studies of cognitive function theory in the academic and scientific domains?

It doesn't seem to be of much use in terms of shaping computer development when cognitive function theory has never been tested and proven via the scientific method across a large population with double-blind, peer-reviewed studies with controls.

cheers,
Ian

It seems that the most crucial step in making artificial intelligence would in fact be the making of artificial will/desire.

Even if a machine could understand in the same way we can, there would not necessarily be any desire to know/learn/choose.
How do you think your will and desires appear - by magic? It's trained by your interactions, and the people who influenced you in developing it.

How do you think your will and desires appear - by magic? It's trained by your interactions, and the people who influenced you in developing it.

Our will/desire/impulse is innate - no magic. It is probably the most essential aspect of life - the ability to act.

Every time I enter a command on my computer, it processes it. However, the computer is completely indifferent to the command. If a computer were given the ability to prefer some commands more than others - or prefer gathering some kinds of information over other kinds - it would not necessarily begin gathering information without being prompted to do so.

What is the essence of wanting/willing to do something? If you can give a machine this, you have given it life.

edit: I think we'll have cyborgs before we have true AI: that is a machine that is so integrated into some sort of organic life, that the two function as one organism. This way the organic component aquires computing/mechanical abilities; and the mechanical component gains the ability to will/choose.

PS. Fake AI robots are part of my INFJ plot to dominate the world: you simply give robots the appearance of being intelligent, by remote human (INFJ) control. Once the robots have devestated the earth and siezed control, INFJs will rule without challenge. Bwahahaha

Last edited:
Nah. Its for future world leaders to be able to appeal and thusly control the masses. Robots arent as fun to control.