When you feel helpless, what do you do? | INFJ Forum

When you feel helpless, what do you do?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
When you are in a sticky situation where you have absolutely no power over, and whichever choices you make the result will probably still be the same.

What do you do? How do you deal with such a situation?

depends on what you mean by a sticky situation lol :p if it's something i just have to get through because there's no better choice, i just try to focus on what i have to do and envision it being over soon~ if it's something less important, i'll try to change courses so that I feel more in control.

Any specific kind of situations you have in mind?

Not particularly. Nothing in my personal life if that's what you're asking.
I was just reflecting and thinking, is all.

Edit: Egh. I guess my question was too vague..huh?

Last edited:
When you are in a sticky situation where you have absolutely no power over, and whichever choices you make the result will probably still be the same.

This would pretty much be one of the situations I hate to be in, but I just try to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision from there. Maintaining a cool head and being in the present moment at the choices you have at that moment are crucial in making the best decision.

A little lol

haha, oright, I'll answer my own question so it clears things up.

I think when I am in a sticky situation and I feel like there is nothing I could do, I usually step back and retreat and think things through. If I am emotional, I try to calm down so I can think clearly. I also always do some research if it's something dealing with my career, work, or even health, etc. Anything really. So I look for information that I might missing out on or forgetting.

From the new information I gathered, I see if I can come with an approach that would give me the best result possible at the moment, but not necessarily optimal.

If things are still bad, and I still have no say in the matter and there's nothing I can do, then I guess that's where Faith comes in. I accept it and then hope for the best.

So I was curious on how others would deal with such situations?

haha, oright, I'll answer my own question so it clears things up.

I think when I am in a sticky situation and I feel like there is nothing I could do, I usually step back and retreat and think things through. If I am emotional, I try to calm down so I can think clearly. I also always do some research if it's something dealing with my career, work, or even health, etc. Anything really. So I look for information that I might missing out on or forgetting.

This^^^

Reactions: Melkor
Hmm, well if there's time, I tend to try out roles. Like, I just tell people I'm doing this or that (i.e. was once obsessed with Buffalo ranching for about 3 months), and see how it feels to be the result of that decision if only for the moment. I then feel out the various different reactions I get, and play with my reaction to their reactions or my own internal back and forth monologue, and then base my ultimate decision on all that. It can take days to months, and I'm aware of this process more so after the fact, but not really while in the midst of it.

yeah. I also make pro's and con's list too, but actually usually end up doing the opposite of what the list recommended.

:)

Sean

Not particularly. Nothing in my personal life if that's what you're asking.
I was just reflecting and thinking, is all.

Yeah, I don't know how to respond without it being more specific.

Yeah, I don't know how to respond without it being more specific.

You can answer from your own personal experience. It doesn't have to be some universal right answer. There isn't one.

If you've never been in such a situation, have you ever speculated about what you would do if you're ever in one?

It was just a reflective question really.

If the general outcome is the same I go through and do the most in the name of self preservation and if people are going to get upset, minimize those it with those whom have a hand in my future and go from there.

philosophy - the science of helplessness.

"When one's imagination cannot provide an answer, one must seek a greater imagination" - Da Vinci character, start trek voyager

---

I also remind myself of what Viktor Frankl discovered. That in the most restrictive and powerless circumstance, one always has their last freedom of attitude, the way to view the world: imagination. He made this discovery in the concentration camps.

From here, different religions and philosophies have their solutions.

Last edited:
Ahh... I usually start banging my head against a wall until I come up with a solution.

Last edited:
I retreat until I have a solution (well, unless it's affecting other people. Then I can't really run away).

If I can't run, then I mentally try out different options, which usually works (although if it's to do with people, they can act alternately to how I think they will).

Sorry, that's a very vague answer...

I live my life.

Life is one intricate sense of helplessness, if one is acute enough to detect it.

I make a decision based on what information I have at the time and what experiences I've been through up till that point, this is the case of having to make a decision right then. If there is no time limit, I will consider the situation until I'm sure I have the best decision possible...but I've come to understand where my line is that separates careful pondering from procrastination. No decision made at all has often resulted in being worse than the lesser of two evils option, so now I always make a decision for better or worse.

I live my life.

Life is one intricate sense of helplessness, if one is acute enough to detect it.

Shit... I am actually agreeing with Melkor.... I think?

Life is struggle, if you find yourself helpless, analyze your expectations. If you change your expectations to no longer expect what it is you are helpless to attain or change, then you are no longer helpless.