What's your workout routine? | INFJ Forum

What's your workout routine?

Gul Dukat

Community Member
May 29, 2013
MBTI
IMFU
I'm kind of a newbie to working out-- I sort of started last year but I was doing a lot of things wrong and then kinda stopped (not completely, just didn't do it as consistently), but now I'm trying to get back into it… I'm doing mostly calisthenics (sort of a prison workout) because they're free and I don't want to have to deal with gym people, I want to actually be strong and not just look it, and because when I was doing it before the progress I made stayed with me a lot longer.

So my current routine is this:

Tuesday and Saturday:

3 sets of 25 pushups, 1 set of however many I can do after that-- I've realized they're a lot harder if you're actually doing them properly.
4 sets of 5 pullups, 1 set of however many I can do after that… I'm getting a lot better at these.
4 sets of 25 squat jumps (there's this little bench in the park that I jump onto).
4 sets of 20 leg raises on the bar thingie
Sometimes i do dips, but they're hard so I often skip them.
3 sets of 30 of those things where you sit in the chair and push yourself up

And then in between all of these sets I do all of the outdoor gym equipment stuff that's more cardio-oriented like the swinger thingies and the twisty thingies and the whatchamacallits, so I'm never just standing around and I'm pretty much staying active for the full hour or so without resting for even a full minute (I do drink water and take about 20 second pauses or so at times)… if I'm tired I just take the cardio stuff a little easier, but I try not to stop for more than 30 seconds.

On Thursday I go swimming for an hour, mostly alternating between front stroke and back stroke or butterfly, and on Sunday I go hiking up a mountain for 4 hours (well, except today because I hurt my ankle).

I don't think I'm doing too much because even though I come away tired I always feel pretty fantastic at the end, and if something hurts I stop doing it… I am a little worried I might be missing something, but between the swimming hiking and workouts, I think I'm hitting most of it.

I've also been eating mostly chicken and sometimes tuna (I kind of hate tuna) with a LOT of eggs (I've been eating eggs in something pretty much every day) and fruit and veggies. I only eat chocolate once or twice a week and haven't had pizza, fried chicken, cake or ice cream in about a month. I've also cut out all juice and soda and only drink soy almond milk and water-- and I'm surprisingly not craving pop or juice at all.

I know it's important to be happy with who you are, but my goal is to shed most if not all of this annoying ring of fat that developed around my midsection a few years ago, as well as the fat under my chin that just won't leave… I'm not a big guy (I always used to just be thin and could eat whatever-- then I hit 30), so I feel like the double chin is really nasty.

Anyways, what's your routine and do you have any advice?

Reactions: Gaze
Skip the push ups and do more dips. Add burpees. Do a bunch of lunges.

I use a gym but this is my current routine.

Sundays:
15 - 20 minutes stairmaster set at level 12. I hate this exercise with a fiery passion
that rivals the great hatred Penelope felt towards Helen.
After this I do 3 sets of 15 reps of squats. This week I did 35 pounds.
Then I do lunges. 3 sets of 15 reps while holding 12.5lb dumbbells
Deadlifts: 3 sets of 12 reps; 30lbs
Glute bridge raises: 3 sets 25 reps; 35lbs
Leg Press: 3 sets 12 reps; 150lbs
Jump squats; 3 sets 15 reps

Mondays: cardio. Generally 30 - 45 mins running

Tuesdays:
Stairmaster: 15 - 20 minutes, level 12
Rows: 3 sets, 12 reps; 20lbs
Incline Bench press: 3 sets, 10 reps; 20lbs
Flys: 3 sets, 12 reps: 12.5lbs
Dips: 3 sets, 8 - 10 reps (however many I can do)
Bicep curls: 3 sets, 12 reps; 15lbs

Wednesday:
30 - 45 minutes cardio (running; sometimes intervals)

Thursday:
Treadclimber: 15 - 20 minutes level 12
Incline Pushups: 3 sets, 10 - 12 reps
Lateral Pulldowns: 3 sets, 10 reps; 90lbs
Arnold Press: 3 sets, 12 reps; 10lbs
Decline Bench: 3 sets, 10 reps; 20lbs
Seated Rows: 3 sets, 12 reps; 70lbs
Side Lateral Raises: 3 sets, 10 reps; 10lbs

Friday:
30 - 45 minutes cardio (running)

Saturday:
REST DAY!!!!

Also, I like to do at least 20 minutes of yoga a few times a week.

Reactions: Gaze and jyrffw54
I don't have a routine at the moment but I have certain workouts I do often. I usually run 3 miles and then do 10 40 yard dashes, sprint one way and jog back. On push ups I do sets of 40 usually about 4-5 sets, I prefer to burn out on push-ups rather than do a bunch of little sets. On crunches I like to do what I call "crazy tummy": 20 crunches, hold knees to elbows 30sec, 20 dead flies, hold knees to elbows 30sec, and finish with 10 full sit ups. Do 3-4 sets of that. Then my all time favorite is "super legs": 20 squats, 20 forward lunges, 20 split lunges, 10 frog jumps. Do them all consecutively. Do about 3-4 sets of that.

I jump rope and do HIIT cardio.

I run around my neighborhood (it is full of hills). I will walk a block, run a block, walk a block, run up a hill, run down, etc and switch this up every couple of days so my muscles don't get used to it. I do this for about 2-3 miles. On off days I do 200-400 jump ropes, some squats, and a long distance walk. I'm not looking to tone any muscles for awhile. I'm just working on endurance, stamina, and fat loss.

I'm starting MMA training soon to get into even better shape and learn defense. I cannot wait.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I'm just getting back into exercise (not working out, per se) with an exercise bike I managed to acquire for the delicious price of $0. At the moment, I'm just going a moderate speed for 30 minutes to 1hr every day as time permits. In a few months when I go to university I'm going to switch to a real bicycle and work on some toning exercises. I don't care that much about functionality or health, I just want to look better.

I don't have a routine at the moment but I have certain workouts I do often. I usually run 3 miles and then do 10 40 yard dashes, sprint one way and jog back. On push ups I do sets of 40 usually about 4-5 sets, I prefer to burn out on push-ups rather than do a bunch of little sets. On crunches I like to do what I call "crazy tummy": 20 crunches, hold knees to elbows 30sec, 20 dead flies, hold knees to elbows 30sec, and finish with 10 full sit ups. Do 3-4 sets of that. Then my all time favorite is "super legs": 20 squats, 20 forward lunges, 20 split lunges, 10 frog jumps. Do them all consecutively. Do about 3-4 sets of that.
what are dead flies?

I jump rope and do HIIT cardio.

I run around my neighborhood (it is full of hills). I will walk a block, run a block, walk a block, run up a hill, run down, etc and switch this up every couple of days so my muscles don't get used to it. I do this for about 2-3 miles. On off days I do 200-400 jump ropes, some squats, and a long distance walk. I'm not looking to tone any muscles for awhile. I'm just working on endurance, stamina, and fat loss.

I'm starting MMA training soon to get into even better shape and learn defense. I cannot wait.

Not to sound like I actually know anything, but doesn't strength training do more to help you lose weight than cardio?

I've been reading up on it online and the consensus seems to be that a lot of cardio without strength training burns fat temporarily, but you also end up losing muscle, which in turn makes your metabolism slower because your body doesn't have as much muscle to route your calories into… so you can actually end up gaining weight. But if you do strength training to build muscle then the calories (from protein) get routed into your new muscles instead of your fat.

But then-- maybe you're getting bigger muscles in your legs?

Last edited:
Ideally you should do both cardio and strength training.

Not to sound like I actually know anything, but doesn't strength training do more to help you lose weight than cardio?

I've been reading up on it online and the consensus seems to be that a lot of cardio without strength training burns fat temporarily, but you also end up losing muscle, which in turn makes your metabolism slower because your body doesn't have as much muscle to route your calories into… so you can actually end up gaining weight. But if you do strength training to build muscle then the calories (from protein) get routed into your new muscles instead of your fat.

But then-- maybe you're getting bigger muscles in your legs?

It can, depending on your body shape. I'm already naturally muscular and I'm an ex boxer; I can get bulky very quickly if I step up on the strength training. I'm already toning up with the HIIT cardio, jump rope, squats. They help keep my lean muscle in tact and it's the most efficient way to lose fat without compromising my muscle mass. As I already said, I'm focusing now on endurance, stamina, and fat loss for right Now. Obviously that will change with the MMA training.

Ideally, yes cardio and strength training is the best for weight loss.... but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. It's just that right now I wanna keep my muscle mass intact and lose a certain amount of fat before I incorporate strength into my regime. The all around training will come from the MMA.... I'm not fully ready for it yet so I've been training myself to endure.

I already have muscular legs since I run barefoot (if you wanna talk toning.... it made my body gain muscle pretty quickly since my muscles weren't used to certain terrain and it works muscle groups that you normally wouldn't in cushioned shoes). What I'm doing is for short-term, not long-term.

Last edited:
i get ready for school then struggle into my twenty pound backpack and head to the bus stop. when i reach the terminal i walk four blocks to school. at the end of the day i reverse this.
when i get home i collapse and take advil.

I walk everyday, cycle a few times a week, and then do stretching, muscle toning, and yoga exercises 3-4 times a week.

i curl 16 oz of beer every nite

Mon/Wed/Fri
20 Hail Marys
15 Our Fathers
3 Glory-Be's

Alternating Tuesdays:
Confession

Thurs/Sat
20 Hail Holy Queens
15 Our Fathers
1 Apostles Creed

Sun
Smoke and Drink

Mon/Wed/Fri
20 Hail Marys
15 Our Fathers
3 Glory-Be's

Alternating Tuesdays:
Confession

Thurs/Sat
20 Hail Holy Queens
15 Our Fathers
1 Apostles Creed

Sun
Smoke and Drink

The heaven is wrong with you? How could you forget fornicating in the confessional and on the alter?

Reactions: Sensiko
The heaven is wrong with you? How could you forget fornicating in the confessional and on the alter?

I thought that was implied as my cardio for the day....confessional-cardio!! *loves bionic*

I thought that was implied as my cardio for the day....confessional-cardio!! *loves bionic*

Never! Must be explicit at all times :p Now, who shall we sacrifice???