What's your opinion on sociopaths? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What's your opinion on sociopaths?

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]
[video=youtube;iMU5wQvJ4Jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMU5wQvJ4Jc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

"Schizophrenia remains the paradigmatic metaphoric illness of modernity: a non-illness—generated by our bafflement by what the Other qua Madman says, authoritatively declared to be a disease (justifying his involuntary hospitalization and treatment). So important has schizophrenia become—not only in psychiatry but in modern society as a whole—that perhaps never before in history have so many educated people wasted so much time and money as have diverse professionals squandered on studying this nonexistent illness." (The Meaning of the Mind, Thomas Szasz, 1996 AD, p 121)
Schizophrenia can be measured by changes in the brain... Because it is an actual disease.

Except that schizophrenia can be measured by changes in the brain... Because it is an actual disease.
I'm guessing you have never spent time in the hospital with someone suffering an episode and actually observed them.

You know, I've just quoted someone, which probably spent time with these people.
Please, please, go and talk to them if you want. Don't come to me, because I'm not guilty for that book!

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]
[video=youtube;iMU5wQvJ4Jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMU5wQvJ4Jc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I agree that ADHD is not a disease. I am a mother who fought the school for years because they tried to convince me that my son needed to be on medication. I refused to do it and he graduated high school and is now in college. It was not easy and it would have been easier to give in so I try not to judge those that felt they needed to.

Because there are certain things that are characterized as a 'mental illness' are not an illness in my opinion does not mean that there are no mental illnesses. Painting everything with one brush is narrow minded.

If you don't believe there is such a thing as a mental illness at all then obviously you have not been exposed to people with real mental illnesses that were definitely beyond their control. Some of us have, and even though I can be sceptical of psychiatry at times and am wary of medication generally I am also very aware that unfortunately for some people they have a real mental illness and telling them that they are making it up or they are weak in some way is not helping them in any way and can actually cause them great harm.

Last edited:
I am doing harm? By what, by sharing a opinion I found in a book?
ITS FROM A BOOK, and you can read it yourself if you want!

I'm really sory for your sister, and I say this in all respect. I mean no harm but what I posted.

That's great but quoting from a book something that is spreading misinformation is not helpful so I am sharing with you my thoughts on something that is very important. Stigma about mental illness, in the sense that people will not come forward to admit having mental issues that are affecting them because they are afraid of being judged, leads some people to suicide or to not getting the help they need so that they end up in prison or on the streets. I am not a big fan of medication but if it helps some people to lead a more 'normal' life so they don't commit suicide or don't commit a crime or end up living on the streets than I think it probably is a good thing in that case.

No, but you did quote it.
Yes, I did quote it. Hovewer, for different reasons that you can think off. As far as I know, althought schizophrenia is labelled as a mental illness, there is not know a single efficient cause for it known (other than just presuppositions), and a single efficient cure. I'm not saying schizophrenia is not dangerous.
[video=youtube;7Riet8REzsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Riet8REzsQ[/video]

Yes, I did quote it. Hovewer, for different reasons that you can think off. As far as I know, althought schizophrenia is labelled as a mental illness, there is not know a single efficient cause for it known (other than just presuppositions), and a single efficient cure. I'm not saying schizophrenia is not dangerous.
[video=youtube;7Riet8REzsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Riet8REzsQ[/video]

I asked this question in your blog, but what do you think schizophrenia is if it's not a mental illness?

I asked this question in your blog, but what do you think schizophrenia is if it's not a mental illness?

Honestly, I don't know. My decision is not made with regard to this. I have to read more on this.
Even if I would have a clear opinion, I wouldn't tell you. I laready got unpleasant reactions just by quoting something from a book.

Honestly, I don't know. My decision is not made with regard to this. I have to read more on this.
Even if I would have a clear opinion, I wouldn't tell you. I laready got unpleasant reactions just by quoting something from a book.

I think you have good intentions and I agree that it's a good thing to listen to dissenting opinions but I feel very strongly that denying all mental illness is more harmful than helpful. I have seen first hand the negative effects of mental illness and nobody would choose to have that. I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable to share opinions but I do think it is important to be aware that some opinions will cause strong, sometimes emotional, reactions in people who have some personal experience that is contrary to the opinion.

In the not so distant past some people would die from unknown causes because we didn't have the technology to diagnose certain diseases but that didn't mean that the disease didn't exist. The brain is a complicated thing, and even though I agree that some things are classified as mental illnesses that shouldn't be, it doesn't mean that because we don't have physical proof of a mental illness that it doesn't exist. My grandmother had alzheimers 40 years ago, at the time there was not diagnostic proof of alzheimers, but she did have it. Now they do have scans that show the damage to the brain caused by alzheimers but today's cases are not more real or more valid than a person with the same disease 40 years ago.

Disagreeing with you is an unpleasant reaction?!

LOL

I think you have good intentions and I agree that it's a good thing to listen to dissenting opinions but I feel very strongly that denying all mental illness is more harmful than helpful. I have seen first hand the negative effects of mental illness and nobody would choose to have that. I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable to share opinions but I do think it is important to be aware that some opinions will cause strong, sometimes emotional, reactions in people who have some personal experience that is contrary to the opinion.

In the not so distant past some people would die from unknown causes because we didn't have the technology to diagnose certain diseases but that didn't mean that the disease didn't exist. The brain is a complicated thing, and even though I agree that some things are classified as mental illnesses that shouldn't be, it doesn't mean that because we don't have physical proof of a mental illness that it doesn't exist. My grandmother had alzheimers 40 years ago, at the time there was not diagnostic proof of alzheimers, but she did have it. Now they do have scans that show the damage to the brain caused by alzheimers but today's cases are not more real or more valid than a person with the same disease 40 years ago.

Yes, I agree with you.
Neither I think ALL classified mental diseases are not actually mental diseases.

Yes ignorant content is unpleasant...

you know, even if it would be ignorant, I think your reaction is not appropiate.

[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION]
You can thumb me down all you want, if you think this would change my mind. Hovewer, this will only show to me the narrow way you approach things.

you know, even if it would be ignorant, I think your reaction is not appropiate.
This must be your M.O. Posting totally ignorant, blatantly false information and then acting like a victim when you get called out. Take responsibility.

Reactions: the
This must be your M.O. Posting totally ignorant, blatantly false information and then acting like a victim when you get called out. Take responsibility.
I do take responsability. But when I post things, which are supposedly be so obviously ignorant, I expect to be corrected nicely, even laughed at my lack of knowledge.
But what do I get? Thumbs down, and very interesting reactions, not what is normaly expected from such a poor little ignorant guy like me.

And I don't act like a victim at all. I'm just very astonished at the vehement reaction I got.
I don't cry behind my computer...I'm amazed. I'm thinking, "Man, why such a strong reaction if what I post is so obviously ignorant?"