What's your aesthetic? | INFJ Forum

What's your aesthetic?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What's your aesthetic? How did you come to decide on it?

adjective
  1. The definition of aesthetic is being interested in how something looks and feels.

An example of someone who is aesthetic might be an artist.

2. Aesthetic means the pleasant, positive or artful appearance of a person or a thing.
    An example of the word is aesthetic is to say that a particular car is beautiful.
noun
  1. Aesthetic is defined as a concept of what is visually acceptable, in trend or expected at the time.
    An example of an aesthetic is minimalism.
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/aesthetic#KHuyJWAfEvTySYK8.99

b8d978af21162f5a02af4598ea92b750.jpg

I'm an extremely visual person and would suggest most INFJs are... I see beauty in ugliness, and vice versa. I've always been highly influenced by it. When I was younger it was even crippling. My visual preferences have influenced many of my dreams and decisions in life.

The definition of aesthetic is being interested in how something looks and feels.

An example of someone who is aesthetic might be an artist.
This. As a practicing artist I feel beauty all around long before 'seeing' it. Since I have visual spacial issues I look at a thing or person differently than most. I see positive and negative space before color, tone or line. It is difficult to explain my interpretation of the beauty in a thing or a person which another finds unattractive.

My aesthetics?
Glitch art made by databending, unintentional visual glitches sometimes, rain on windows/any glass.
Street lights on a dark night
Neon signs.

Based on the pics or art I consume regularly, I think my aesthetic is color or visual contrasts as they reflect a mood or state of mind or ironic constructions (surrealist) which twist reality in knots to make some kind of commentary or social reference. I also enjoy fantastic representations of real world whether exaggerated or simplistic use of vibrant colors. Big on contrasts.

Edit: I also like Victorian or Edwardian era stylistic choices. Gives spaces a classic, aesthetic, sophisticated appeal. Such as Mr Darcy's home in the Pride and Prejudice film. I am drawn to wide open architectural spaces with high ceilings and cozy rural landscapes and homes.

Last edited:
tumblr_o21snhgzL01v7ub84o1_500.gif

japan-1-11-638.jpg

It's really difficult to objectively describe how things become visually appealing.
Like some posters implied, it's more of an evoked 'feeling,' rather than what has been physically sensed, which
might have a lot to do with the perceiver's abstract & symbolic associations with the object, I suppose.

As for Wabi Sabi, I don't just deliberately go finding cracked or broken things and call them beautiful.
(The rusty appliances and randomly peeled wall paint in our house are not necessarily visually appealing to me.)

It's really more of anything that
feels organic, flowing/fleeting, or reminiscent of nature.

Zen gardens and temples.
Watercolour paintings.
Mandalas and fractals.
Brush calligraphy.
Contemporary dance.

Who decides what an imperfection is?

Who decides what an imperfection is?

I guess it's still the perceiver/beholder who does. The way I take it, this is probably not about absolute perfection, but a more personal ideal, or maybe objective standard, of perfection (kind of like what circle is perceived 'circle enough' to be called as such by any particular person). Then wabi-sabi may essentially be about deeming something as beautiful in spite of knowing it is, by personal cognizance, imperfect.

Oh, and I find the flavor of wasabi appealing. :grinning:

My aesthetic tastes are varied, but there is some consistencies:
I like high detail and craftsmanship in small objects. (Highly detailed objects)
I like stoic simplicity and functionality, with clean ornamentation in anything TV sized and larger. {Art deco design).
I like pristine natural environments, which have huge variations in terrain and ecology within a small distance. (Snowcapped mountains to ocean within a single landscape).

There are different things, not all the same type of style or aesthetic, I find it a lot in art, photography and sculpture etc. it's not just one aesthetic, but I know what grabs me when I see it, even if I couldn't describe it before hand. It's interesting though that most people instantly know what they do and do not like aesthetically speaking.

I notice the aesthetics of things all around and in the everyday. Sometimes the lines and shapes of buildings, or other things not intrinsically beautiful in themselves have an aesthetic of their own as well, maybe it's to do with something being visually interesting, and that being somehow evocative of something, as art is. I've taken photos of weird things like tractor tracks in mud, and the light reflecting of the water in tracks because I've found it 'aesthetically' pleasing, lol.

Also architecture which is thought of as aesthetic and beautiful in itself I find pretty inspiring. I've had that feeling in Rome and medieval villages, and not to mention beautiful landscapes, where your breath is literally taken away. Having that feeling when your looking at a landscape or a scene and you want to etch it on your mind forever so to speak but know that you can't, feels like food for the soul. It can also sometimes be found in the little, simple things sometimes like something incredibly like a remarkable, unremarkable leaf or stone.

011.JPG

images5EQD6GE4.jpg

001.JPG

016.JPG

033.JPG

053.JPG

100.JPG

149.JPG

Attachments

• images5EQD6GE4.jpg
    images5EQD6GE4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I tend to gravitate towards earth tones and the things they signify to me: trees, branches, roots, foliage, forests, natural landscapes. I keep a lot of houseplants and they double both as decorative filler and a need for life around my living space. These are a good example of the color palate I like:
tumblr_mz95hedt0y1soqrhbo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_oliis1EKx01sgzhgyo1_1280.jpg
I appreciate the clean, uncluttered lines of mid-century modern furniture, eccentric antique pieces, or the random retro-modern feel of IKEA products. I prefer white or slate-gray for wall paint, open layout, and minimalistic decor. Impressionist and symbolist painters are my favorite, but I'm also sentimental to the nostalgia of eastern European motifs/kitsch, Escher, and Bruegel prints that my parents decorated with. These are some favorites that summarize me pretty well:
tumblr_mmgl69FUaQ1qe7lk9o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_okz2hnZXRw1rxoym0o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_okrw0bHJSQ1r5nyrlo1_540.jpg
a12090317e.jpeg
tumblr_okjt6mdzEI1r13bkko1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I came across this great thread! :) I think that my aesthetic is best captured by the movie Solaris by Andrei Tarkosvky, but I don't seem to be able to link videos from it. So my second pick will have to do: Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven.

Last edited: