What's with the Creepy Clowns craze ?

James

Infamy, infamy.. they've all got it infamy
Retired Staff
Dec 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
839.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/07/creepy-clown-sightings-craze-speads-britain

What is with this 'creepy clown' thing that seems to be going on ? A friend of mine mentioned this the other day, and looking at the news, it seems to have originated in America and spread to the UK ? I'm not blaming America - but what gives ?

Is it connected to Halloween or something ? I understand that is a much bigger deal in America than here. I think a joke or a slight scare is ok, with your OWN kids, but jumping out for a prank on others kids ? The Guardian report includes details of one 'prank' where the clown jumped out and waved a knife at 11, and 12 year old kids.

It seems to me like a twisted kind of attention seeking craze, that some people think is funny, and is actually scaring the @#@* out of some kids. Like the PokemonGo thing, gone bad. I am glad mine are older, but if someone had done something like this to them when they were younger, I would have been deeply unimpressed.

Coulrophobia - a phobia of clowns.. I never knew there was such a condition.

There's quite a good article here explaining why we maybe have such a creepy feeling about clowns generally. I wonder what other members on the forum think ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/halloween/11194653/Why-are-we-so-scared-of-clowns.html

Your guess. But its not illegal to dress like a clown.
10985042_10204270105693419_43129153727939423_n.jpg

Reactions: James
I don't know what started it, possibly a movie coming out? I don't know. I don't have a fear of clowns and I've never disliked clowns. Lol. Vsauce has a fun video on youtube on why things like clowns are creepy.

If some clown tried to prank my daughter while waving a knife he'd be lucky he picked a parent that doesn't carry a weapon.

I think it's just a viral thing. Lots of copy cats. I have not seen one clown, and neither has anyone I talk to regularly. Though there was one recently in the news who called in bomb threats to schools and threatened people on Facebook and Twitter. Turned out to be a teenager.

Reactions: Free and James
Viral marketing for the new IT remake, OR massive bandwagoning on a massively stupid scale.

The former makes sense until you realize the movie comes out next September, and the latter because... people.

839.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/07/creepy-clown-sightings-craze-speads-britain

What is with this 'creepy clown' thing that seems to be going on ? A friend of mine mentioned this the other day, and looking at the news, it seems to have originated in America and spread to the UK ? I'm not blaming America - but what gives ?

Is it connected to Halloween or something ? I understand that is a much bigger deal in America than here. I think a joke or a slight scare is ok, with your OWN kids, but jumping out for a prank on others kids ? The Guardian report includes details of one 'prank' where the clown jumped out and waved a knife at 11, and 12 year old kids.

It seems to me like a twisted kind of attention seeking craze, that some people think is funny, and is actually scaring the @#@* out of some kids. Like the PokemonGo thing, gone bad. I am glad mine are older, but if someone had done something like this to them when they were younger, I would have been deeply unimpressed.

Coulrophobia - a phobia of clowns.. I never knew there was such a condition.

There's quite a good article here explaining why we maybe have such a creepy feeling about clowns generally. I wonder what other members on the forum think ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/halloween/11194653/Why-are-we-so-scared-of-clowns.html

Yeah I wouldn't really blame a parent for curb-stomping some idiot who decided to chase their kid with a knife as "a joke". However, there's another scary thing about it. You can't really be sure who it is or what their intentions are because it's some kind of trend. Genuine predators could totally take advantage of that.

Maybe Stephen King is finding a resurgence.

Your guess. But its not illegal to dress like a clown.
View attachment 29491

@Eventhorizon putting politics aside, that really cracked me up lol...

In the interests of full disclosure, apart from the clothes, (they've gotta be photoshoped surely?) I probably look worse than that most mornings, or evenings, or whenever someone knocks on the door with a delivery and I have to answer it.

Reactions: Littlelissa
Viral marketing for the new IT remake, OR massive bandwagoning on a massively stupid scale.

The former makes sense until you realize the movie comes out next September, and the latter because... people.

Pretty much what I think.

Reactions: Free and James
@Eventhorizon putting politics aside, that really cracked me up lol...

In the interests of full disclosure, apart from the clothes, (they've gotta be photoshoped surely?) I probably look worse than that most mornings, or evenings, or whenever someone knocks on the door with a delivery and I have to answer it.
Real pic.

Reactions: James
It's a viral thing that originated in the states. But also a handy tool contribute to the general zeitgeist of chaos and panic of this year with all the protests, terror-threats, racism, mass confusion from migrant crisis, etc.

Fear is an excellent way to motivate people to go to the polls, regardless for whom they are voting.

Too bad the candidates themselves look like they belong in a circus of horrors.

This whole year feels like the plot of a Batman movie.