What was your first reaction to finding out you were an INFJ? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What was your first reaction to finding out you were an INFJ?

"So THAT'S why I didn't fit in on the INTJ forum" (when I thought I was an INTJ)

Same here! I had tested as an INxJ on online tests, which was really confusing for me, lol. Went on a month-long rampage studying cognitive functions, temperament theory, interaction styles, and Socionics because I felt that the secrets of my identity were finally within my grasp and I desperately needed to find the missing piece of the puzzle.

Tears of release, maybe? Basically, I said something like "that's why I'm so weird?" I was pretty amazed to finally understand what exact categorization I fell into.

all I could think was, "well..that explains it".. but I was also delighted and very bemused. I felt validated and allowed to allow myself to exist as is. no disguises required =)

Reactions: SarahBS
My reactions was..... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??

poetress said:
I had tested as an INxJ on online tests, which was really confusing for me, lol.

Just for what it's worth, serious research done on the MBTI has strongly suggested that the "x" label is real. Not to say people don't sometimes need something more than the test to decide. However, just for what it's worth, some people get slightly misled thinking that identifying with Ti over Te automatically implies, when deciding between the INJ types, that INFJ is right.
This isn't necessarily so -- someone with weak F and high Ti is probably a T for example.

But assuming INFJ materials/profiles match well overall, it's likely it's right!

What i am thinking is most people have no concept as to how different we are.
I don't think they notice?

There was an interesting conversation at work where someone was saying that because of where we work none of us are normal and all crazy.
I am very observant and ask questions about people so i know how crazy they are .
They are very normal , they just work in an Operating Theatre , watch the most mundane TV and rarely have creative conversation.

I found out about MBTI because I had an online profile on plenty of fish. I got a message from someone saying "INTJ! INTJ! We are going to be best friends!" It was from an INTJ male who everyone on the forum ended up collectively hating, but so it goes.

I never tested as INTJ initially even though I found the type to be attractive and interesting in its own way. I mostly tested as INFJ. I was a very anxious and depressed person at the time but the INFJ typology spoke to me and I found myself at home on the forum and yet strangely at odds with it.

Over the years I became very career focused and most of my personality had become a relfection of how I would behave in the workplace which lead me to believe I was possibly an ENTJ for a while. I am not.

There are people who I connected with in the early days of my forum presence who still believe I am definitely an INFJ. Over the last 2 years I have considered that I was some kind of Sensory Type, like maybe an ESTP.

I am circling back around to the idea that I really am an INFJ afterall but had to go through a lot of personal change and evolution to connect with myself as I am now, which is much more self aware and self actualized and more whole altogether. Also, I am no longer anxious and depressed which gives me a much clearer view of who I am.

I do think that I am a very strong Thinking type sometimes but I wonder if that is just more conditioning rather than a truer expression of my more fundamental self.

I asked my boyfriend to take a test based on what he thought I would answer and what he has seen of me. I think that put me as ISFP.

hard to say.

I did find it intriguing when I would type consistently as INFJ though and I do feel a connection to that type but I think I have grown beyond feeling the need to self type and have just accepted that I have different modalities depending on who I am with and where I am.

So I guess the short answer is I felt OK about it.

Took the test several times (first time it came out as INFJ then ENFJ) at work many many years ago but it never really sunk in and I wasn't interested at the time.....then had one of those self-actualisation moments and did a search and found the link below and suddenly felt this sudden rush of endorphins - that was it! :) I was on a high for a good month or so after that....still am!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgQ-B_bnfM

"Fuck yeah I'm a leader."
*finds out INFP*
"That makes more sense. Kinda.."
All 'bout that Fi

I found out about MBTI because I had an online profile on plenty of fish. I got a message from someone saying "INTJ! INTJ! We are going to be best friends!" It was from an INTJ male who everyone on the forum ended up collectively hating, but so it goes.

I never tested as INTJ initially even though I found the type to be attractive and interesting in its own way. I mostly tested as INFJ. I was a very anxious and depressed person at the time but the INFJ typology spoke to me and I found myself at home on the forum and yet strangely at odds with it.

Over the years I became very career focused and most of my personality had become a relfection of how I would behave in the workplace which lead me to believe I was possibly an ENTJ for a while. I am not.

There are people who I connected with in the early days of my forum presence who still believe I am definitely an INFJ. Over the last 2 years I have considered that I was some kind of Sensory Type, like maybe an ESTP.

I am circling back around to the idea that I really am an INFJ afterall but had to go through a lot of personal change and evolution to connect with myself as I am now, which is much more self aware and self actualized and more whole altogether. Also, I am no longer anxious and depressed which gives me a much clearer view of who I am.

I do think that I am a very strong Thinking type sometimes but I wonder if that is just more conditioning rather than a truer expression of my more fundamental self.

I asked my boyfriend to take a test based on what he thought I would answer and what he has seen of me. I think that put me as ISFP.

hard to say.

I did find it intriguing when I would type consistently as INFJ though and I do feel a connection to that type but I think I have grown beyond feeling the need to self type and have just accepted that I have different modalities depending on who I am with and where I am.

So I guess the short answer is I felt OK about it.

Your outward actions seem to be driven by emotions (Fe)
Your thought process seems structured well (Ti)
Your outward actions seem more brute than the inner, which puts Ti in front of Fe.

Before analyzing any further, that yields 4 possibilities:
INTP/ENTP
ISTP/ESTP

This is my grain-of-salt opinion

Your outward actions seem to be driven by emotions (Fe)
Your thought process seems structured well (Ti)
Your outward actions seem more brute than the inner, which puts Ti in front of Fe.

Before analyzing any further, that yields 4 possibilities:
INTP/ENTP
ISTP/ESTP

This is my grain-of-salt opinion

Yeah I was definitely leaning towards ESTP for a while.

I think being out of a stressful job and having this abundance of freedom and such will really help me develop myself and my relationship with the world more fully. I am so interested to see how I take shape in this new environment.

I think it explained a lot of things in my life, put me at ease with myself to a point. I was tough on myself and I still am for not being enough in my eyes, I compare a lot with others and try to be better, try to reach my visions.
But I learned it's ok, and there's nothing wrong with me, if I am quite, if I need more time alone, if I need more time to make a decision, if I am more abstract than others.

I thought, there is something wrong with me, because I am in my head so much, because I think in all of these abstractions, images and ideas, because I have my visions I am so stubborn about... But no. I learned to be proud of all of that, I learned that it's okay if I am not like everyone else.

"I thought, there is something wrong with me, because I am in my head so much, because I think in all of these abstractions, images and ideas, because I have my visions I am so stubborn about... But no. I learned to be proud of all of that, I learned that it's okay if I am not like everyone else."

There was this conversation which i mentioned about how everybody thought they are crazy where i work.
I am very observant and know for a fact none of these people have any notion of ideas that are on the margin, they are all terribly conformist, uncritical of the the world around them, live in a state of apathy, go to bed early, don't do drugs or risky stuff, drive normal cars and dress very straight.
Their reading taste is for the worst books.
So there i am having a giggle in the corner thinking these people just have not got a clue where i am coming from?
It was pretty funny!

Frankly i have been shocked at how conservative people are. I was lucky in my previous life/business i dealt with creative people, musicians, academics and made some good friends ... so i feel i have some idea of what is is possible for people.

I just knew and its explains me to large degree, so I guess it just confirms a lot of things about who I am. I can honestly say it made things easier for me knowing it

"Of course I am." :)

To be honest though, I often come across as an INXJ. I won't get into the details of why that is, but my core is INFJ through and through.

When I first took the test it was administered by an employment placement firm. After I took the test the person I was assigned to was sort of hush when he told me the results. He said something like, "You want something using soft skills".

His reaction was weird. But the results didn't mean too much to me at the time because I didn't know what INFJ meant really. However, I took it a couple more times at the career center in my area and got the same results. It was then that I learned more about the INFJ type.

I first read something about how INFJ's make decisions based on their feelings toward something. I was like, "Well, this bites. How am I going to make it in this world if I make decisions based on how I feel? How objective and how tough is that? Especially for a male?"

Well, that's how it went for me. What was your first reaction?
I was alittle excited that i was on to something. I linked the pieces to a puzzle and got rid of loopholes and what didnt fit. Analyzed daily till i finally got a clue that i was infj. My friend still doubts im an infj when i told her she was intp and not infj. But it only takes one to know one. Its exciting that i finally found out that i wasnt as stupid as i thought and that im just wired differently.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit