What type am I? | INFJ Forum

What type am I?

C

Confused Mind

I am having a really hard time deciding which one I am. I use fe, and ti a lot. I scored 13-7 on the SN scale and fairly high on the p side on J/P scale but when I read about the SJ, SP temperaments, they didn't sound much like me. The NF sounded a lot like me but I'm not sure that I'm abstract enough. Also, I am not confident trusting my instincts but it usually turns out being correct most of the time. Based on this, INFP sounds possible but I read about the communication styles and mine tends to be much more direct like an INFJ as opposed to informative like an INFP. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually took me a really long time to find my personality type, and I still admire my own quirks that separate me from other INFJs. The best way is to simply associate with various personality types and determine from your interactions with them how similar your thinking processes are.

If you are curious what the difference between an INFP and an INFJ is, then the easiest answer is moral certitude. INFPs tend to have a very certain feeling about what is right and wrong. INFJs on the other hand, can see things from many perspectives, and they tend to see right and wrong to be very relative.

Last edited:
Try one on for a while, learn about it and then if it's not fitting so well, try another one (that's what I did). It is difficult trying to balance the MBTI dichotomies, the temperaments, the cognitive processes and the communication styles. Just be aware that there seems to be a definite N bias in MBTI, so make sure you explore the S preference fully.

It actually took me a really long time to find my personality type, and I still admire my own quirks that separate me from other INFJs. The best way is to simply associate with various personality types and determine from your interactions with them how similar your thinking processes are.

If you are curious what the difference between an INFP and an INFJ is, then the easiest answer is moral certitude. INFPs tend to have a very certain feeling about what is right and wrong. INFJs on the other hand, can see things from many perspectives, and they tend to see right and wrong to be very relative.
From what you said, I tend to lean way more towards infj on that perspective.

Try one on for a while, learn about it and then if it's not fitting so well, try another one (that's what I did). It is difficult trying to balance the MBTI dichotomies, the temperaments, the cognitive processes and the communication styles. Just be aware that there seems to be a definite N bias in MBTI, so make sure you explore the S preference fully.

Thank you, I will try to make sure to look at the S function more fully. Could you please tell me your thoughts on the S function? I would like to to see if I have a warped understanding of it or not.

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I have only recently decided on my type. My advice is simply don't equate S with Simpleton or Stupid, even though you can definitely get that impression from a lot of the MBTI information out on the net.

This test might help you, it's very straightforward and gives an inbetween option. If you post your results from this we might be better able to help you find your type.

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

Someone mentioned in another thread that Ni dominants feel so comfortable with Ni that they can have trouble describing it, so Fe and Ti could be obvious to you but Ni might not stand out because it's so natural to you.

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I have only recently decided on my type. My advice is simply don't equate S with Simpleton or Stupid, even though you can definitely get that impression from a lot of the MBTI information out on the net.

This test might help you, it's very straightforward and gives an inbetween option. If you post your results from this we might be better able to help you find your type.

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

Someone mentioned in another thread that Ni dominants feel so comfortable with Ni that they can have trouble describing it, so Fe and Ti could be obvious to you but Ni might not stand out because it's so natural to you.

Your personality type is INFJ.
Introverted (I) 71%Extraverted (E) 29%Intuitive (N) 55%Sensing (S) 45%Feeling (F) 60%Thinking (T) 40%Judging (J) 50%Perceiving (P) 50%
I am fairly borderline on everything except i/e. The "inbetween option" helped a lot. Most of them were inbetween.

With those results and the fact you mentioned Fe and Ti, INFJ definitely looks likely. Not everyone has really strong personality preferences (I don't) some people are just more rounded I guess.

With those results and the fact you mentioned Fe and Ti, INFJ definitely looks likely. Not everyone has really strong personality preferences (I don't) some people are just more rounded I guess.
haha, yeah, It most definitely gets frustrating. The good part is we actually were able to learn more fully about ourselves as opposed knowing right from the start. Oh, by the way, I wasn't trying to write off the sensors. Sorry if I came off that way. They are very good with detail oriented jobs and tend to have a better sense of reality. If there weren't people like that, then I would be very scared to go to the doctor. Both are good in different ways.

Oh that wasn't the impression you gave me, it was the impression I got from some of the MBTI websites and forums when I first started looking into MBTI.

oh ok awesome. At first, I tested into your personality type. I thought the keenness of the senses to detail and the affinity for beauty would have been wonderful traits to have but it didn't really fit me. :) I now am about 90% sure that I'm INFJ after 2 weeks of nonstop soul searching and analyzing, haha.

I'm the opposite, first of all I tested as INTJ but then I realised that was sort of the "shell" that I project out to people in day to day life, I don't know why I guess it's a more manly type. So I then realised I was probably an F so sort of fell into the INFJ type and I signed up here to find out more about that type, after a month or two I felt that all that Fe :)hug:) just didn't fit right and not enough Se, so I eventually discovered the ISFP type which I had never really considered and it just seemed to fit so well. I think there are similarities between the descriptions of INFJs and ISFPs.

haha, that's ironic. The test does not seem to be all that accurate. It should be taken with a grain of salt. Thank you for all your excellent insight on things.

You're welcome, anytime.

What the heck, Satya?
P by its very nature determines that the P must see things from other people's perspective no matter what his or her own feelings about it are. J can waver too, but each decision about what a J believes is "the right" decision, until a J changes his or her mind again. Not that the J believes that he is right all the time, but at least on the right track. the P never knows if he is right or not, but certainly hopes so.

Me and Kwistalline are examples of this: I, the INFP; she, the INFJ. My opinion about things wavers, while she can get very opinionated. Yes, she sees the other perspective, but she rejects it as something clearly not her own.
I tend to be a lot more of a relativist, occasionally playing the devil's advocate to understand the mind of others. Kwistalline asks me for my opinion about things that other people say, because she has trouble figuring out what the reasoning and motivation behind their words are.

I think he says that because INFJs are dominant Ni (P function) whereas INFPs are dominant Fi (J function). Our J or P is determined by our first extroverted function (Fe and Ne respectively).

I guess it's arguable ... It's proved right for a lot INFPs I know, but it's a tricky one.

I think he says that because INFJs are dominant Ni (P function) whereas INFPs are dominant Fi (J function). Our J or P is determined by our first extroverted function (Fe and Ne respectively).

I guess it's arguable ... It's proved right for a lot INFPs I know, but it's a tricky one.

Can you please clarify...? Was it in reply to my deleted posted? Thank you.

What the heck, Satya?
P by its very nature determines that the P must see things from other people's perspective no matter what his or her own feelings about it are. J can waver too, but each decision about what a J believes is "the right" decision, until a J changes his or her mind again. Not that the J believes that he is right all the time, but at least on the right track. the P never knows if he is right or not, but certainly hopes so.

Me and Kwistalline are examples of this: I, the INFP; she, the INFJ. My opinion about things wavers, while she can get very opinionated. Yes, she sees the other perspective, but she rejects it as something clearly not her own.
I tend to be a lot more of a relativist, occasionally playing the devil's advocate to understand the mind of others. Kwistalline asks me for my opinion about things that other people say, because she has trouble figuring out what the reasoning and motivation behind their words are.

That is an interesting way of putting it . . . now I'm wondering, though, if Fi is more capable of Devils Advocate than Fe