What to you indicates maturity in a person? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What to you indicates maturity in a person?

Maturity is the ability to delay gratification, be it in choices with our finances, or in sexuality. The immature live in the mindset of "I must have it now" or even, "I must have it on my next paycheck." The mature say, "Do I really need it?", with "need" being a verifiable need, not just a want.

I don't think it's wrong to buy things that you WANT, but if you really should be saving that one for a major need, then you shouldn't be spending money on a want.

Maturity is the ability to delay gratification, be it in choices with our finances, or in sexuality. The immature live in the mindset of "I must have it now" or even, "I must have it on my next paycheck." The mature say, "Do I really need it?", with "need" being a verifiable need, not just a want.

I don't think it's wrong to buy things that you WANT, but if you really should be saving that one for a major need, then you shouldn't be spending money on a want.

This is very hard to do, but i somewhat agree. But i think this can also go to the extreme. Being too repressed or believing that you shouldn't indulge at all may not be such a good thing either. You can develop self righteousness and resentment if you keep denying yourself and others are not. After all, we are human. This doesn't mean we should justify selfish behavior in the name of human nature but we should also consider that we are not saints. Being impulsive is not always a bad thing. And remember that we all have differing needs - material, social, emotional, etc.