What Motivates You as an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

What Motivates You as an INFJ?

cheta

Aug 11, 2008
MBTI
infj
I'm working on my PhD in IT (I don't know how I got there, sigh) and I'm in my last months of writing up. I simply can't find any motivations to write but I know I have to get my act together! So I'm asking all of you here, what motivates you as an INFJ?

Hopefully, by putting myself in the right mindset, I can stop procrastinating and start working as hard as I should be! :|

self-improvement;growing as a person.
standing up for the vulnerable;protector..
sticking 'it' on the line;doing the impossible.

(I'm not saying I do any of the above, :mrgreen: ,but they do motivate me).

Feeling that I am helping people and/or human culture in some way helps keep me going through the daily grind. I may not make a huge difference, but if I can try to nudge the big bolder in the right direction I feel like I've done my part.

Doing what I percieve as "The right thing."

Also developing enough Se to balance out the Overactive Ni.

marty44 said:
self-improvement;growing as a person.
standing up for the vulnerable;protector..
sticking 'it' on the line;doing the impossible.

(I'm not saying I do any of the above, :mrgreen: ,but they do motivate me).

:lol: I'm convinced of those motivations as well but it's an internal struggle to actually do it! Right now, I'm trying to achieve the impossible.. :D

Deadlines are the only things that motivate me. Procrastination is my curse in life but I always procrastinate about doing something about it! oy vey
Anyway when you find out the secret to motivation let me know!

Dr Tran motivates me every day to be the best hella don coodle special agent ever.

Hatred, anger, becoming like everyone else motivates me. Hahaha.

I see my schoolmates, and I realize if I didn't care so much about helping people, if I didn't have such huge ambitions, if I didn't see myself as having a bigger purpose than any of them can imagine, if it wasn't for all that I'd be nowhere now. And every thought that goes through my head of them making fun iof me, it pushes me three times as hard. :D

Mh... I'd say, being able to make profound and important things accessible to as many people as possible, spread the message I suppose. Make people aware.
I do have problems with procrastination too though :roll:

I am motivated BIG time when I hear any one is in need or being hurt or harmed or in a desparate situation....I get motivated to call in the calvery and try everything to make sure that person gets helped in ANY way they need....

Im motivated to clean when some one says they are coming over...otherwise...not so much!

My creativity is motivated by the outdoors....which i dont see often enough!

I'm probably most motivated by making future goals. If something comes out towards an amazing end, then I'll go for it. For instance, I have a future goal of owning a studio, and I imagine it being successful and huge and amazing. The things I do now, from where I go to school to the skills I'm learning, are towards that goal. If I don't keep that in mind, then it almost seems like everything's just kinda...there, without any real meaning. The only things that really take me too far away from that are my friends and anyone else that is important to me.

Being a state employee/supervisor, it's been my "crusade" to make my prison industries (yes as in inmates) plant a "model". I am fortunate in that I am in a position to make a difference and if the inmate is unable (mental illness is common-place) or unwilling to learn a skill at least I can instill a good work ethic! It's not easy, I've suffered a fractured skull and and a torn retina (irate BIG inmate)but I've also been blessed with a great deal of job satisfaction. IMHO you need to define what you will devote your PHD towards, otherwise it is just an expensive piece of paper.

helping getting things "right", finding somewhere I belong, learning and experimenting.

The "need to be needed", to some extent. If someone else can do what I can do (and even if they're not as good as I can be), i'll doubt myself and simply do what's required/asked of me, or i'll specialize in a specific task and try to do it to perfection -- for fear of upsetting the power dynamic by interfering. If nobody can handle the situation, i'll take control of it. And if it comes with power, i'm a pretty hard driving boss and can usually mobilize all of my assets and get things done TODAY.

I like these situations because they give me a sense of personal power. But I usually don't look for them, nor do I think I can sustain heavy leadership for a long time. Most of the time i'm pretty meek and detached.

Last edited:
The "need to be needed", to some extent. If someone else can do what I can do (and even if they're not as good as I can be), i'll doubt myself and simply do what's required/asked of me, or i'll specialize in a specific task and try to do it to perfection -- for fear of upsetting the power dynamic by interfering. If nobody can handle the situation, i'll take control of it. And if it comes with power, i'm a pretty hard driving boss and can usually mobilize all of my assets and get things done TODAY.

I like these situations because they give me a sense of personal power. But I usually don't look for them, nor do I think I can sustain heavy leadership for a long time. Most of the time i'm pretty meek and detached.

I can really relate. If I don't have something unique to offer then I automatically feel as if I am being forced to compete. If I feel like I have to compete I back way off, do my best, but fade into the background as much as possible.

As far as taking control. I can do that too, but not without some sort of social backlash. I have no tact. Wish I did.

Last edited:
Hrmm...

What motivates me most are my personal expectations/goals. If I want something, I get it. Pure and simple. Once I get what I want, I inevitably need something else accomplished, so I work hard for the next thing. It keeps going like an infinite checklist.

Sometimes I feel depressed about not being able to do what I want to do, but then my desire for that thing that I want inspires me all over again and off I go with newfound rigor. Now that I have a loving boyfriend to support me on my goals, I feel more empowered to reach for what I want. Determination and hard work is all you need in life to get what you want. I truly believe that.

I like being able to live with no regrets that way.

What motivates me is something that inspires me and/or evokes emotion. New ideas and creating motivates me to complete w/e it is. Nothing beats indulging in a completed work.

Helping people, hands down, is the most motivating thing for me. Making people's lives easier, making people happier. Animals too.

I used to work in process improvement and they'd always have me working on initiatives that would increase revenue by X % or grow margin or increase product mix, and I hated working those projects. I always wanted to do the ones that would make it so Joe Blow on the front line would only have to spend 2 min reviewing a boring spreadsheet instead of 2 days.

Worked on so many crappy projects I ended up going back to school to be a Veterinary Technician. So when I'm done I'll get to help pets and help people help pets. I hope it turns out to be as great as I hope. I know it won't be as bad as my old office job.

I also have a part time job at a dog obedience school and that has been the most rewarding job I've ever had, hands down. Because I get to connect with people and dogs, and utilize my expertise and see results quick. Plus a lot of people have meltdowns while attempting to train their dog and I get to swoop in and empathize and offer help. Best job ever.

Last edited:
Probably the biggest motivation trigger for me is if somebody asks a question or expresses a need, and then doesn't show any signs of pursuing it though ignorance or helplessness.

I'll research anything for anyone (I love to research) and if I do a cursory philosophical exam and decide I'm not going to be enabling someone who should be doing something for themselves, or I don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of, or if it's somebody I love or care about which actually gives me joy, then I'll happily try to fill that person's need.

If the cursory philosophical exam proves that person would be better taught rather than fulfilled, then I'll teach or include instructions with the fulfilled need :)