What makes it hard for you to fall asleep? | INFJ Forum

What makes it hard for you to fall asleep?

Keirouen

Community Member
Jun 3, 2014
MBTI
intj
Loud noise?

Roommate/family?

The temperature?

The wrong pillow? ;)

Feeling hungry?

Having a pressing issue on your mind?

High humidity?

I am on a medication which reduces anxiety, but it also gives me higher irritability and restlessness, making it almost impossible to get a good sleep. But I have another medicine to make me sleep:)

Also when I was younger anxiety kept me up...worrying about the future, new things. Sometimes it wasn't really anxiety, I just couldn't turn my brain off. I just think constantly.

Also, being hot an humid never helps lol

Growing up, especially during my pre-teen and teen years, I had chronic insomnia, mostly due to anxiety.
There are many things that can make it hard for me to fall asleep:
-Light of any kind, including moonlight
-bright colours
-certain stones
-excess noise
-having too many electronics close to me
-hearing conversation from another room
-lumpy pillows
-being too cold or too hot
-excitement

Loud noise?

Roommate/family?

The temperature?

The wrong pillow? ;)

Feeling hungry?

High humidity?

Ive just noticed, you ask a huge amount of questions.

I am on a medication which reduces anxiety, but it also gives me higher irritability and restlessness, making it almost impossible to get a good sleep. But I have another medicine to make me sleep:)

Also when I was younger anxiety kept me up...worrying about the future, new things. Sometimes it wasn't really anxiety, I just couldn't turn my brain off. I just think constantly.

Reduces anxiety but makes one restless? I can't turn my brain off either! Damn... I always thought anxiety reduction leads to sleepiness.

When I'm taking Adderall XR I get anxious and restless. Anti-anxiety meds just make me drowsy. Well I'm trying some sleeping meds for insomnia. Hopefully it works XD

I got to cut a pill into fours and take up to half. Hopefully this will cure my insomnia :p

I will add that a natural way I've learned to fall sleep better is to watch the sunset, as in go outside for a few minutes and really take in the oranges, golds, pinks, and purples. The colours will actually have a calming effect on the body, and make sleep come within a few hours.

Conversely, watching the sun rise wakes me up in the morning.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Loud noise?

Tick tock, tick tock... I can't fall asleep if clock is ticking close to me.

Roommate/family?

Yeah, if family is noisy (little brother?) then, yes. >_<

The temperature?

If it's too hot or too cold... Especially if too cold. Just keep adding more blankets and then it's too hot, bleh... :/ Always wrong.

The wrong pillow? ;)

I have a pillow from Ikea and it's so comfy! Because it adapts to the shape of the head. I don't like those clumpy pillows which I need to puff all the time.

Feeling hungry?

It's good to eat a little before sleeping.

Yes, especially if over-thinking and analyzing all the worries...

High humidity?

Little bit.

Reduces anxiety but makes one restless? I can't turn my brain off either! Damn... I always thought anxiety reduction leads to sleepiness.

When I'm taking Adderall XR I get anxious and restless. Anti-anxiety meds just make me drowsy. Well I'm trying some sleeping meds for insomnia. Hopefully it works XD

I got to cut a pill into fours and take up to half. Hopefully this will cure my insomnia :p

If anti-anxiety meds make you feel drowsy, it could mean either that you're taking the wrong medication or your body doesn't respond well to that certain medication, or that you have a mixed type of disorder (e.g. mixed anxiety and depression disorder) which requires a specific type od anti-anxiety medication (there is some specific medication for mixed types od disorders).

I know for a fact that mild anti-anxiety meds usually don't cure insomnia that fast , which is why in case of anxiety or mixed anxiety disorders they are sometimes used in combination with mild sedatives.

I'm not an expert, I'm just trying to help with what I do know... Of course medicine doesn't fix everything, talking to a therapist is always advisable... Not all psychiatrists are good though. There are quite a few bad ones out there that would unnecessarily prescribe you heavy medication based on 5 minutes of superficial conversation.

Last edited:
Stuff on my mind.

People being stealthy. If I'm asleep and you need to do something nearby, just do it normally. DO NOT TRY TO BE MORE QUIET THAN NORMAL because I can sense you and my brain will determine that this is unusual and stealthy behavior, which it finds threatening.

It's so hard to get to sleep, I'm going back to bed while I'm sleepy.

If anti-anxiety meds make you feel drowsy, it could mean either that you're taking the wrong medication or your body doesn't respond well to that certain medication, or that you have a mixed type of disorder (e.g. mixed anxiety and depression disorder) which requires a specific type od anti-anxiety medication (there is some specific medication for mixed types od disorders).

I know for a fact that mild anti-anxiety meds usually don't cure insomnia that fast , which is why in case of anxiety or mixed anxiety disorders they are sometimes used in combination with mild sedatives.

I'm not an expert, I'm just trying to help with what I do know... Of course medicine doesn't fix everything, talking to a therapist is always advisable... Not all psychiatrists are good though. There are quite a few bad ones out there that would unnecessarily prescribe you heavy medication based on 5 minutes of superficial conversation.

My psychiatrist is pretty awesome! She's better than most psychologists I've met. It surprised me she was a psychiatrist. My stereotype was that all psychiatrists are impersonal and clinical, but this lady is warm and willing to talk to the depth of an issue.

I'm going to see a therapist too, but that's right. I have a mixed issue. I have ADD, sometimes insomnia, and a general anxiety problem. It's frustrating dealing with several issues... but it's obvious to both me and my psychiatrist that most of my issues are because of my job. That and being rejected by the single also lesbian girl I seriously opened up to and fell in love with XD

Reactions: Faye
Caffiene makes it difficult to sleep. Alcohol makes it difficult to stay asleep but can usually put me to sleep. Hunger never helps either.

Anxiety/feeling sad is the worst.

Any sort of noise can make it difficult for me to sleep, especially conversations. Even if people are speaking softly, I'll spend too much effort processing what they're thinking, and it will make it impossible for me to sleep.

Sometimes, sleeping or trying to sleep is just too boring.

Over thinking... everything starts with that. I have huge issues regarding insomnia, medication didn't helped in the long term.

If you're on psychotropic meds, those can make it extremely difficult to sleep. Even ones that are supposed to help you sleep might make the situation worse sometimes. Make sure to research the side effects and monitor closely every med you take and every increase in dosage. How it affects you can change if the dosage changes.

The other thing that can be bad is oftentimes psychiatrists don't understand which medicines should and should not be mixed. So they might give you a combination that will adversely affect you.

My mind never shuts up.

Hmmmmmm, loud noises definitely, being hot and sweaty (only happens at my bff's house) and most importantly not being able to turn the brain off. If I haven't had enough time alone that day to think then I'll think in bed, and I just can't stop! I have to remind myself to think of nothing or I won't be able to sleep.

Other people being awake. When I'm in accommodation with other people I am almost always the last one to go to sleep.