What is you inner monologue like? | INFJ Forum

What is you inner monologue like?

LucyJr

Aug 10, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
How is "the voice"? Like in reality, or not?

Do you even have one, a voice, or you think more in a conceptual manner, whithout words?

I do have one! As a kid I had two and they talked a bit more. Now it's one. I think with my voice in my head in English. It's tiring to constantly think with inner-voice mode. Must have had more energy as a kid, huh?

I actually played around with this at one point. I intentionally stopped thinking "out loud" in my head for a day. I realized that I could function just the same without constantly having conversation going in my mind.

Anyone know? Are there studies on this subject?

I have one, too. It's in English. The intensity and purpose of it depends on what I'm doing. Interesting topic, will be following along.

I have a constant running dialogue in my head. It's like there's two of me having conversations or imagining conversations with other people in my life (they answer me too). It hasn't happened yet but I figure I better be careful and not think that one of these conversations with the people in my life has actually happened instead of just being my imagination.

I do have an inner voice that coalesces the images and connections in my mind into something more focused. The voice in my head closely matches in sound to the way the words I write sound to me as I write and then read them, but not as much to how I speak. Although, I have found that if I try to match that in conversation, my conversation is much more smooth and I have found a couple of people looking at me in a dreamy sort of way while I talked, like what I was saying sounded nice and they wanted to take a nap or something, lol. So, the best way to describe the inner voice is that it feels soft and dreamy to me and not all too focused, but much more focused than the images in my mind. I mostly think in images or mixed images. They seem to have a flowing quality to them. When I make connections between things in my mind there is a movement of the images in my mind. Sorry, but this is very hard to describe. Yesterday, I posted a response to La Sagna about selflessness and while I was writing a response images came up in my mind that represented someone being selfish and someone being selfless and I envisioned an interaction between the two, which had a relationship I could feel, and I could feel the one become larger at the expense of the other.

I hope this helps. I'm really averse to talking about the nature of my thoughts with people, but there's enough anonymity on the web that I suppose it'll be okay.

Last edited:
My inner voice is VERY talkative. I have conversations with myself very frequently. I also imagine conversations with other people as well, and I am a vivid daydreamer. It's like a movie in my head sometimes, especially at night. Why pay for movies when you can make your own?? :)

My voice is as if I am talking only with no sound. However I also think in pictures, shapes, concepts depending on whats needed.

Once I thought of two words at exactly the same time because I was thinking about two ideas at once. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but it kind of was. Its never happened since.

Oh as an unrelated note, for a while I was on Clonzapam. Conversations would take place in my head and they were not of my voice. It was like people were talking to each other. When I focused on them, they were real conversations that really seemed detached from me. Looking back on it though I did not know it at the time, it was really rather odd to say the least. Makes me seriously consider any medication I might take in the future.

My inner voice is VERY talkative. I have conversations with myself very frequently. I also imagine conversations with other people as well, and I am a vivid daydreamer. It's like a movie in my head sometimes, especially at night. Why pay for movies when you can make your own?? :)

I would write my own full reply but then it would seem like I am just copying [MENTION=10481]aureliusandoinky[/MENTION]. I have literally used that "why go to the movies when I can just make my own" line before.
One addition though, my inner voice can also get pretty fierce and protective, generally when I should be angry but am not, and on the inside I am screaming "DONT LET HIM TALK TO YOU LIKE THAT" and on the outside its just a "okay, okay, okay".
I also find my inner monologue becoming pretty bossy and coaching myself through certain things.

Our inner voices sound identical! I forgot to say that mine coaches me too. It can be extremely forceful, like my own personal therapist/trainer.

Reactions: bodhireagan
I made this thread because we INFJs are probably in a natural way the most imaginative of types, and I was curious to hear how our inner monologue is.

I remeber having a certain period in my life when everything in my head was a mess...I was just day-dreaming, with no clear thoughts, just purposelessly jumping from one thought to another, on the basis of attraction. Everything in my head was funny or weird abstract images.
My inner voice was actualy role playing...at a certain time, I would hear my voice as high pitched, sometimes as a baritone or bass, deep and profound...other times, I think I was being imitating certain voices from people in the real life, and when I would realise it, I was like "This is weird, why do I "talk" with this voice?".
I think at that period I was being pretty careless with how I spent my time and i was just day-dreaming, a kind of philosophical day-dreaming...my thought weren't driven by need or a clear purpose...I would just aimlesy think at random things, just musing whithout a certain purpose. Therefore my inner voice would get all these sort of different tones...

At these period my thoughts are much more clear, and I usualy think at something disciplinated, having only that focus. My inner voice sounds now pretty moderate and neutral...there is no "color" in it. I also rarely engage in role playing in my thoughts, except short periods of time, when I slip back to my old daydreaming/meditative state, whithout a clear point of thinking.

I don't know about voices, but I tend to have a constant (sometimes erratic) stream of thoughts usually presented as tangents that I either follow through consciously or sub-consciously. Whenever I get in an inner conflict there will usually be two "voices" arguing two different standpoints. Sometimes I'll speak out (aloud) one of the parts, consciously, and answer sub-consciously/intuitively for the counterpart, having a discussion with myself.

As for hearing voices - I've only heard one once, but I couldn't comprehend it.

Desperate, self recriminating, loud, sometimes cold, and analytic, but overall, pretty emotional in tone and content.