What is racism? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is racism?

Having lived in a few different cultures in my life, this is something that I've become really interested in… and I think that everyone has their own sense of what it is.

I'm sure that almost everyone knows the extreme, direct forms of racism but I've actually heard that subtle racism is actually more psychologically harmful-- things like being ignored in a shoe store over and over actually have longer-lasting effects than some skinhead douchebag talking about how he wants to kick you out of his country. It's a pretty small minority that walk around with swastikas tattooed on their chests or who outwardly condemn interracial relationships, but I was wondering where exactly do people draw the line with this kind of thing.

Are you racist if you walk into a room full of people of a different race and feel uncomfortable?

I don't think walking into a room and feeling uncomfortable makes you a racist. I think not trying to change your behavior, hurting someone else or being rude, making no effort to understand or over come your fears makes you a racist.
Acting out makes you a racist.

Are you racist if someone of a certain race sits beside you on the bus and you feel threatened somehow?

If its a big ass guy that could probably brush you away from sheer size alone and has an attitude, then no. That's just common sense. Things that are different create fear. That's evolutuon and you wouldn't be here if we were different. But once again learning is the key. Just cause he's black doesn't make him a bad person. Just cause he's white, doesn't make him/her a bad person. You're doing yourself a big injustice to rule peope out that way. I'm lucky I grew up the way I did. I have a lot of friends because of it. But that doesn't mean you should walk through bad neighborhoods talking about love.

What if you can't bring yourself to find anyone of a different race attractive?

We like what we like. I don't think I should appologise for that.

What if you walk around feeling guilted about things that you're not directly responsible for because they're the actions of people of a race to which you belong?

You mean like slavery?
I never enslaved anyone. Sort of.
But we as a country did what we did.
As a country we should say we are sorry. That doesn't mean I'm personally saying I'm sorry for what I did, but I am personally sorry for what happened.
And no one should make you feel differently. IMO. There is reverse racism too and looking to blame others is not taking responsibility. It's convenient to blame others. That does little to move us forward as does walking away from what has happened. Not talking openly about it and acknowledging responsibility for it. As much as you can be responsible for the country's past.
Not the same as giving all your money to some poor black kid cause you're not sure how to feel about him. I don't think anyone expects that. But understanding how slavery has hurt us as a nation, hurt the self image of a people, hurt the environment and upbringing of a lot of children and the maybe dismal prospect a lot of kids have because of race. You need to look at it in the eye. In the face.
It's real. And it hurts. And it's not about you. But asking questions, I think, gets you a little closer.

For me, racism is when you believe that being of a certain race means that an individual is automatically predisposed towards certain behaviors, and fail to recognize the human race as nothing more than individuals who are capable of making their own choices and of having their own unique personalities that aren't necessarily bound to any particular culture, background, or social construct-- including, or even especially their so-called racial identity… I don't think that the reactions beyond your control are necessarily racism because they can be just a learned behavior that is corrected by exposing yourself to things, but I do think that it takes effort to see things clearly and that in some cases being truly free of racism is actually an ongoing struggle in anyone's life.

I do think a lot of people struggle with it.
It depends on how much time you spend with people. I can't really say I feel anything but love for my friends. Even the black ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Racism is treating people like giraffes instead of like people.

260.png

Racism is when you deny people their fundamental rights as human beings because of their cultural, religious or ethnic backgrounds. It is also when you view someone as less of a human being than you are because of the same reasons stated. I often find that the former feeds from the latter. If any of one's words or actions stem from these thoughts, it is racist.

On the question of attraction: I am not attracted to women. Does that make me a homophobe? It doesn't and it sure as hell should never be considered as such. The same goes for attraction towards people of either different or similar cultures, ethnicities and religions.

Last edited:
Racism is when you deny people their fundamental rights as human beings because of their cultural, religious or ethnic backgrounds. It is also when you view someone as less of a human being than you are because of the same reasons stated. I often find that the former feeds from the latter. If any of one's words or actions stem from these thoughts, it is racist.

On the question of attraction: I am not attracted to women. Does that make me a homophobe? It doesn't and it sure as hell should never be considered as such. The same goes for attraction towards people of either different or similar cultures, ethnicities and religions.

Good thoughts, Odyne - very valid. I would say this, though; I think racism is more specific. I think a better example of racism is saying you have a preference for redheaded females, so you exclude all other females because they don't have red hair. I love men, but I exclude women because I don't have an attraction to them. But I won't exclude all men because of what they look like. I'll at least give that a chance, because I love men. Sure I have preferences for certain men - who doesn't? - but I'll give most men a chance, regardless. I will admit, though, I have prejudices against men who have been incarcerated or men who show foul tempers. I probably won't give them any opportunities.

According to the most claimed definition: Racism is when a person denies you something you want, e.g. favour, being liked and they have a different racial background.

Ali G said:
Is it because I is black?

I would say this, though; I think racism is more specific. I think a better example of racism is saying you have a preference for redheaded females, so you exclude all other females because they don't have red hair.

You've given a good example.

I do not consider this to be racism. A huge part of attraction is purely biological and physical, and I don't think it's right to guilt people into thinking it's racism. How is that any different from considering me sexist for not feeling attracted towards women? I think it would be too much.

Now, if the person is excluding brunettes and blonds because they think they are existentially of less value and worth than actual redheads, then that's not only terribly racist but somewhat ignorant too.

Great questions [MENTION=5090]Apone[/MENTION].

I think it really does depend. Some people really see 'race', their 'culture', 'how they look', 'nationality', 'where they live', or 'place of birth' as an important part of their identity. Or others identities. And for other people, 'race' is not relevant. And the distinction between race/culture/language is hard to separate. Most racism is culturalism. It is harder to understand and communicate with someone that speaks a different language and has different cultural values. But its always possible if people want to and are willing.

But I guess as long as there are 'premature judgements' being made, i would consider that racist. Bascially, any premature judgement that prevents one from keeping an open mind and prevents one from being willing to engage and communicate. I live in a very multicultural melting pot society, and have learned its not possible to judge anyone by the way they look. It is probably different in other more segregated or homogenous societies.

I think racism has everything do with fear, ignorance, insecurities, lack of confidence and lack of experience. Its unfortunate though, because many people are really limiting their experience and joy of life by making these judgements.

On the other hand, people think i'm racist sometimes because i dont identify with any specific race or see the relavance of race. At one stage i tried to but was unable to. I dont see why I should have to choose a culture or race to identify with. I like and dislike them all equally. I consider myself an 'Australian', because thats the country where i live, pay taxes, the country that I have contributed to and the country that has supported me and enabled my lifestyle. But i guess if I moved and liked that new country, than I would consider that new country my home. Home is where the heart is. People are people. They are either willing to learn, engage, understand or communicate or they are not. Or they are somewhere in between. We are always learning.

Reactions: barbad0s
There is hate everywhere, it just takes different forms. The military is a whole other world ... much like India with prejudice within the caste. You may not have seen it as a child per say, but your parents would have. My MIL boasts of being an officer's wife and as much as she would never consort with a lower rank, they all probably hated her. She is quite adamant that this was the "norm" within the military. Do you find this to be correct?

I'm another military brat and I regularly go on base (and have base friends from other parts of the country) and I have to admit that I've never seen anything like this except for the snooty stepford like wives.

You've given a good example.

I do not consider this to be racism. A huge part of attraction is purely biological and physical, and I don't think it's right to guilt people into thinking it's racism. How is that any different from considering me sexist for not feeling attracted towards women? I think it would be too much.

Now, if the person is excluding brunettes and blonds because they think they are existentially of less value and worth than actual redheads, then that's not only terribly racist but somewhat ignorant too.

Absolutely - and please note, I'm not advocating that preferences for brunettes and/or redheads or blondes are in any account racist. I used that as an example of the pointlessness of racism, and how preferences could be seen as racist (meaning groups of people we exclude, not hair color).

Racism, in its diluted form, is a severe, knee-jerk emotional response and it isn't well thought out, like preference. Racism is an illogical emotional response to irrational fear and hatred. There is no preference or considerations with racism. It's just an infantile emotional response.

Reactions: Odyne
According to the most claimed definition: Racism is when a person denies you something you want, e.g. favour, being liked and they have a different racial background.

This is one of the most imaginative definitions of racism I have ever heard, That is kind of like saying a drive by shooting is when a person denies you the gift of not being shot at, and they are driving at the time.

I was wondering why this thread is in the "imagination exercises" sub forum.

:m131:

I'm a racist, I judge people on there skin color first, and their character second.

Last edited:
I'm a racist, I judge people on there skin color first, and their character second.

Obviously. It's impossible to not do this. If you replace "skin colour" with "appearance" that is. This doesn't make you racist

The question is, do you always believe and act on this snap judgement?

Racism, in its diluted form, is a severe, knee-jerk emotional response and it isn't well thought out, like preference. Racism is an illogical emotional response to irrational fear and hatred. There is no preference or considerations with racism. It's just an infantile emotional response.

I think you hit the nail on the head.