What is good acting? | INFJ Forum

What is good acting?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I love film, television, media, etc. and I've been a fan of actors for a long time. But I notice that what is good acting seems to have changed over the years. People who I once thought were good actors may not have been good or what is considered good is judged differently today. Not every good actor is consistent, and someone can give great performance but yet not be recognized for it. Or actors may make their career playing typecast or stereotypical roles which often require them behaving almost the same in pretty much every show or film they do.

So, what is good acting?

Anyone who's believable in the role they're given. Some of my favorite actors are classified as "character actors" because you don't even think twice about the role they play in the movie/show.

James Rebhorn is one - View attachment 14927

Tommy Flanagan is another - View attachment 14928

I also think any actor that can perform a 180 between different films deserves some respect. Michael Douglas for instance; Watch Wall Street or The Game and then watch Falling Down. Sean Bean, is also one of my favorites because he's a cross between the two types - plays a villain in one movie (The Hitcher for example) and a sympathetic good guy in another (Equilibrium as the other example).

Then I think there's a special divide between different genre actors as well. I honestly think Cary Grant and W.C. Fields were two of the best comedy actors I've seen (one for his suave, straight-man style and the other for his grumpy, aloof, slapstick style). But I wouldn't compare either of them to another actor that trained in/plays primarily drama roles like Richard Harris or Anthony Hopkins.

Good acting should be seamless. You shouldn't be able to tell they're in character. Most actors get typecast so they dont have to act, but there are a few out there who can play almost any role well. Those are true actors.

Good acting allows the audience to break through their disbelief. It is called a "willing suspension of disbelief" when you as an audience member become entrenched in the plot and activity of a movie that you have a viseral, emotional response to the show/movie. It is a bit of snobbery but most really good actors are those who are also capable of doing live theatre, not just movies.

In general, it is harder to do comedy because it involves timing and when forced ruins the whole suspension for the audience. Doesn't mean that comediec actors are better but that such performances are considered harder to give.

Breaking through and giving a good performance means allowing yourself to be vulnerable and freely express stuff that people think they keep hidden. It means being more aware of your actions and no real control over your words. On top of that, you have to deliver in such a way that people don't think you are doing that. I agree that good actors are well rounded and can play a variety of roles rather than just some derivation of themselves.

Sean Penn, Al Pacino, Morgan Freeman, Robert De Nero, are men I think are fine actors. I once saw a rendition of A Raisin In the Sun by Danny Glover that was fabulous.

Women are harder because a lot of times there aren't very many decent female roles for them to do--they end up being window dressing and the love interest. Cate Blanchet seems good. Helena Bohnamn Carter. Many of the older women of hollywood were fabulous but they have died off and no really new talented women have taken their place. I mean come on, Lindsey Lohan is playing Elizabeth Taylor?? Gross.

Last edited:
Daniel Day-Lewis.

So, what is good acting?

This is a very narrow definition, but it is one I tend to value:

The actor’s presentation in terms of body language, sound of voice, and look on their face seems neurologically real — and that “realness” corresponds (in an Occam’s Razor kind of way) to both their external situation and internal (if known) experience.

From my perspective, this is a rare thing to see (documentaries notwithstanding), and a beautiful one too. Any actor who has succeeded on that level (to me) has attained greatness, if only for a time.

cheers,
Ian

In Love actually, there is scene at the end. Husband who had little flirt affair is coming to airport from travel. His wife (Ema Thompson) is waiting for him. She knows, he knows that she does. She says only: Home...One word, one scene, but we sense all inner fight in her. That's example. Good actor does not need a lot of space or words. They can make big from small parts. It reminds as well of Pilat's character in Jesus Christ Superstar (played by Barry Denen I think). He has three scenes, but he made it as if there are much more.