What Is a Good Man? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What Is a Good Man?

I think a good man is someone who understands that he can be one, and takes responsibility towards being one. Not someone who thinks it is an impossible ideal to achieve, and unconsciously uses that as a justification for his mistakes. But rather someone who is willing to listen to others, so that he can improve. Someone who takes neither his goodness nor his badness for granted, but is aware of the fact that it's always possible to be better, and that to do so, he must listen, even if it hurts his ego at first, and then take responsibility.

I really think it's important to view "being a good man" as something that only requires a few core virtues... there can be as much complacency in thinking you've fallen short of an ideal, as in thinking you've attained that ideal. And in both cases, the consequences are bad, and hurt other people.

I really think it's important to view "being a good man" as something that only requires a few core virtues... there can be as much complacency in thinking you've fallen short of an ideal, as in thinking you've attained that ideal. And in both cases, the consequences are bad, and hurt other people.

Thank you for braining for me Ren

Isn't a person's idea of a good man more than likely different than another's?
I think we can say it is. If it is, can anyone ever truly be a good man as one version would never fit all versions?

OK, so a woman can't be a good man... I'm fine with that ... but then what excludes her from the category? What can a man have that a woman can't have that makes it possible for him to be a good man? Can a woman have all the same qualities, then if so, why can't she be a good man? Several responses to thread suggest it's essentially the same thing... but with a different name.

lolol

138884091665.jpg

So a "good man" as a requirement must be genetically XY? Just trying to clarify the requirement for candidacy to category...

No I'm just fuckin around.

Several responses to thread suggest it's essentially the same thing... but with a different name.

This.

Moreover, I find this thread inflammatory toward masculinity. What makes a good woman god dammit. Nobody cares, women are infallible in today's culture.

The important question is not man or woman, but simply what is good.

Moreover, I find this thread inflammatory toward masculinity. What makes a good woman god dammit. Nobody cares, women are infallible in today's culture.

The important question is not man or woman, but simply what is good.

I would still be participating if the thread made about a good woman.

I definitely disagree that women are infallible in today's culture ... There is a change in progress perhaps, some of it is radicalised... But "Slut", "Whore", "Bitch", these words have popular culture currency, I encounter them frequently in pop culture, and they're derogatory judging terms of women.

Many men want to be seen as distinct from women. I support their wish for distinct identity and I support their wish to explore and discover what it means to be "good" in the context of their own particular identity, as a "man".

women are infallible in today's culture.

And yet, if a woman enjoys sex she is a "slut" or a "ho," but if a man enjoys sex, he's just being a man...

Society still has a long way to go, for everyone involved. For instance, rape - victim-blaming and shaming are horrifically common for women. "She shouldn't have worn that skirt!" On the other hand, when a man brings up rape, he isn't taken seriously, because men are expected to be strong, burly. "He should have been able to fight them off!" Yeah, a long way to go...

There is a change in progress perhaps, some of it is radicalised... But "Slut", "Whore", "Bitch", these words have popular culture currency, I encounter them frequently in pop culture, and they're derogatory judging terms of women.

Whoops, repeated what you wrote, your post didn't pop up until I posted mine, sorry about that.

Perhaps it's just because I'm a Snowflake, as a certain thread here has so kindly informed me, but I think everyone's experience of gender and gender identity should be considered valid. If someone adheres to what's considered "traditionally masculine" gender roles and that makes that person happy, good. If someone adheres to what's considered "traditionally feminine" gender roles and that makes that person happy, good. If someone happily does their own thing and adheres to nothing, good. If someone happily exists anywhere along the spectrum, good. The best person you can be is yourself, and no one should have the right to tell you to, or force you to, do otherwise. Thus, for me, a good person is someone who does not tell or force anyone to be something or someone they're not. A good person treats their fellow human beings with kindness and respect.