What does it mean to be a 40-something? | INFJ Forum

What does it mean to be a 40-something?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, what does it mean to be a 40-something today?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure. I came here expecting to be asked what it means to be 40-something. This has thrown me for a loop! :m097:

I'm not really sure. I came here expecting to be asked what it means to be 40-something. This has thrown me for a loop! :m097:

Yeah, I meant 40-something. Sorry for the confusion.

Maintain consciousness, you are leading from many years. Not to slide back on old pattern, after that you experience dissatisfaction in your life.

40+ time tests yourself.

I'm not sure if that's an easy question to answer, but I can try...

40-somethings grew up in a world just discovering electronics as an every day thing. We went from transistor radios to solar calculators in a matter of a few short years, and everyone began marveling at the latest gadgets. Suddenly everyone on the block had the latest eye-popping item, whether that was the advent of cable boxes & MTV, or Simon, or cellular phones, or New Wave, or a personal computer (Apple II c or IBM), MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 or the latest MJ vid (or Square Pegs on TV).

We went from manual typewriters to electric to personal computers in my lifetime.

From 8-Tracks to cassettes and mini-cassette players, and CDs, and from personal film reels to Betamax and VHS to LaserDiscs to DVDs.

Things that fascinated me growing up and made us all go, "WOW, NEAT!" are common place today. So common place, that people *expect* to have the latest, best, and newest gadget next year. In my opinion there's no innovation for something "new"...it's simply an upgrade of last years' model.

Maybe I miss the "wow" factor of innovation. Really, create something I've never seen before; something I need. And don't put it on an infomercial at 5am. :p

What does it mean to be 40-something? It means recognizing that you aren't the person you thought you were, which could be a good or a bad thing (depending on what you thought yourself to be). It means a new level of maturity within yourself, and the confidence to pursue those things you never considered before. It means drawing closer to your family or watching family members grow up and leave the nest to make families of their own (I suppose; I don't know this part but I assume it's true). It means facing your own mortality when you begin feeling twinges you never felt before and suddenly seeing your parents grow "old" seemingly overnight.

But to me, it's fascinating. Like seeing a butterfly you've never had the chance to observe before...and realizing that butterfly is you.

Reactions: Gaze
You know I am only having a little fun my friend. I will attempt to answer this since there are very few 40-somethings on the forum.

Each decade of adulthood has it's own unique rewards and challenges. The 20's it's about finding yourself and having fun. In your 30's it's about becoming comfortable with what you are and about finally relaxing and enjoying that person. In your 40's it becomes about the journey and perhaps about establishing some kind of legacy too.

Up until the last few years, it was always about finding "me". It was about becoming comfy with that me. It was about gaining confidence and wisdom. My 40's for me are now about using that hard won confidence and wisdom to make a difference--even a small one. They are about giving something back and helping those who you see making some of the same mistakes, and feeling the same way, that you did in your younger years.

Truth be told, the 40's also seem to be the time when it really sets in that you are not going to live forever. Intellectually you realize this much sooner of course, but emotionally and spiritually it really starts to set in. Not to imply that your 40's are a depressing time, not at all! No, you come into a personal power that you never knew was there. It's when many people realize (alas often too late) that you really CAN do anything you set your mind to. Now there is a revelation that hides in plain sight!

I, for one, love the 40's. Each decade in life brings wonderful new surprises.

What does it mean to be 40-something? It means recognizing that you aren't the person you thought you were, which could be a good or a bad thing (depending on what you thought yourself to be). It means a new level of maturity within yourself, and the confidence to pursue those things you never considered before. It means drawing closer to your family or watching family members grow up and leave the nest to make families of their own (I suppose; I don't know this part but I assume it's true). It means facing your own mortality when you begin feeling twinges you never felt before and suddenly seeing your parents grow "old" seemingly overnight.

But to me, it's fascinating. Like seeing a butterfly you've never had the chance to observe before...and realizing that butterfly is you.

Wow, we posted at almost the same time and the last part of your answer is very similar to mine. Maybe we are onto something here Arby!

Hee! Hee! Wondertwin 40 powers, ACTIVATE!

[YOUTUBE]OqmYmqr9wZE[/YOUTUBE]

Means the planet turned 40 times around its star, since the human was born. Apparently, that's supposed to be correlated with the human character and behavior, despite all data testifying to the contrary. :party: