What does introversion feel like? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What does introversion feel like?

How do you feel when you're alone, when you're with a couple close friends, when you meet people for the first time, etc? How do you react in social situations, outwardly and inwardly?
When I'm alone I recharge and feel peaceful until I want to make contact.
With close friends there is an energy exchange which I don't really mind, but still it has to end eventually so I can settle and recharge.
When I meet somebody for the first time, I feel like a cat. Is this friend or is it foe? Do I fluff up and prepare for battle or do I relax and let it go?
Social situations - that depends on the situation and the present aura.

How does introversion manifest itself in the rest of your personality?
I'm a ninja. When I've had enough, I disappear. People often don't even know I have left, some times they are still talking to me when I've already gone. I get comments on this pretty often.

How do you know you're an introvert, and how much more introverted do you think you seem to be compared to most people you know?
I don't really get much from people. It feels like my aura clashes and gets sucked up by them. I'm more introverted than most people I know including other introverts.

How do you feel around talkative people, and how do you feel around quiet people? What responses do these people elicit in you?
I prefer quieter people. I can just hang out with them for longer periods. Quieter people make me feel more content.

Around talkative people usually I just want to escape. Jumping off the nearest cliff is an option.

Hey Nif, I know it's an old thread, I'll pitch in never the less.

How do you feel when you're alone, when you're with a couple close friends, when you meet people for the first time, etc? How do you react in social situations, outwardly and inwardly?

Like every human being I'm a complex animal. Sometimes being alone is great, sometimes it's not so great -- sometimes it sucks, but being with other people would be worse. Sorry, no easy answer. I'm happy that I have three dimensions.

I prefer to hang out with fewer people at a time. I prefer conversation to clubs. I go deep into what I'm interested in. That's it, I think.

How do you know you're an introvert, and how much more introverted do you think you seem to be compared to most people you know?

I sort of pieced it out when I went to high school. Other people would want to hang out all of the time, and I would just get exhausted from too many people all at once. It wasn't that I was less interested in them, it was just that I needed to recharged alone and at home. Whenever I've been in relationships (of the sex nature, if you catch my #drift) I tend to screw it up for wanting time alone with my own thoughts.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to confuse introversion (at least mine) with arrogance. I'm scared of people, basically.

How do you feel around talkative people, and how do you feel around quiet people? What responses do these people elicit in you?

Enlighten me... :m096:

I attract and prefer quiet people. I would maybe call them gentle. Just people that you can talk to in an adult way. I love silly people and politically incorrect people. Chances are that I will talk your ear off, and we will laugh our heads off. Loud and dominant people are horrible, to me. I would prefer a kick to my nuts to having to hang out with those people. I clam up and awkwardly nod while they talk about their boats, houses, marketing jobs, or whatever they talk about. I mostly zone out.

Hope that helps someone! I'm learning to love my weirdness and just kind of go with it. We're all sort of weird, but basically lovely people that should love ourselves. If we don't, who's gonna do it? ;)

... And if you work at marketing, hey ... Just ... It's ok. People love you.

In terms of instant relief, canceling plans is like heroin.

Reactions: rawr
[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]
I totally forgot I said I would get back to this! So here we go (10 yrs late, lol):

When I am alone, I feel like I can finally breath.

I have one friend that I would call a good friend because we have known each other for a long time, but I avoid making plans with her. But when she does talk me into it, I make sure we go to dinner, so I am in and out. And when I'm in, I'm always looking for my way out.

I am fine in social situations. I am pleasant with everyone but am usually looking for a reason to leave. I get overwhelmed easily but no one would guess by looking at me. I have learned to hide it.

I always turn down invitations to social events. I only go if forced into it. People take it personal and they think that it's because I think I am better than them. Many think I am stuck up, which is not true at all. So I am frequently misunderstood.

I have learned extroversion throughout the years for survival purposes, but I only use it in work situations because it's necessary. And even then, I am screaming on the inside because it's not who I am. It's stressful. I feel like myself when I have time away from the world to recharge. If not given that time, it affects me physically and emotionally. I'm a wreck.
I'm not sure how I compare to others. They could be screaming on the inside too.

It depends on the type of talkative and what they are talking about. Fast, loud and obnoxious talk makes me insane, and the way I feel about their loudness is written all over my face. I can't help it. I want to run and usually do. If they aren't loud and are talking about something interesting, then I am all ears.

I love quiet people. Because they understand my need to be quiet and left alone with my thoughts. Good company.

I'm sure the loud people don't get me (was told this by one) but the quiet people understand me well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously. That's how us introverts roll.

image.jpg

Reactions: rawr
[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]
I totally forgot I said I would get back to this! So here we go (10 yrs late, lol):

When I am alone, I feel like I can finally breath.

I have one friend that I would call a good friend because we have known each other for a long time, but I avoid making plans with her. But when she does talk me into it, I make sure we go to dinner, so I am in and out. And when I'm in, I'm always looking for my way out.

I am fine in social situations. I am pleasant with everyone but am usually looking for a reason to leave. I get overwhelmed easily but no one would guess by looking at me. I have learned to hide it.

I always turn down invitations to social events. I only go if forced into it. People take it personal and they think that it's because I think I am better than them. Many think I am stuck up, which is not true at all. So I am frequently misunderstood.

I have learned extroversion throughout the years for survival purposes, but I only use it in work situations because it's necessary. And even then, I am screaming on the inside because it's not who I am. It's stressful. I feel like myself when I have time away from the world to recharge. If not given that time, it affects me physically and emotionally. I'm a wreck.
I'm not sure how I compare to others. They could be screaming on the inside too.

It depends on the type of talkative and what they are talking about. Fast, loud and obnoxious talk makes me insane, and the way I feel about their loudness is written all over my face. I can't help it. I want to run and usually do. If they aren't loud and are talking about something interesting, then I am all ears.

I love quiet people. Because they understand my need to be quiet and left alone with my thoughts. Good company.

I'm sure the loud people don't get me (was told this by one) but the quiet people understand me well.

Lol I get this a lot too. I have that confident walk so people think I'm stuck up but then they talk to me and they're like 'Oh! I didn't know you were cool! I thought you were a stuck up!' and I say 'Thanks asshat! Great job judging a book by its cover!' and they laugh, cause all of a sudden I'm cool and I'm right. 'It's so true!!' Lol the fuck??

And I scream in my head too. It's usually 'get away, get away, get away!' in a hushed yelling tone lol...

Introversion feels like right now. I work from home and a friend of mine asked if she could hang out at my place with her dog while people are visiting her house which is for sale. Of course I said yes but I don't really feel like hanging out with her and her extroverted personality, her intrusive questions and her stories about how bad everybody is...so I'm pretending to be so busy that I don't even have more than a couple of minutes to talk to her before I have to get back to concentrate on my work, quietly, by myself, in my office, as she hangs out in my living room with her dog. I probably could have spared 30 minutes or even an hour but I really don't feel like it and she would probably drain me to the point that I would be exhausted afterwards and have a harder time concentrating on my work. I'll get back to work now, because I am busy, but this struck me as something an extrovert wouldn't do and I thought I'd share it with people who might understand a little bit, because most people I know wouldn't understand.

When People Say Introverts Are Weirdos, I Show Them This

funny-comic-introversion-girl-birthday-alone.jpg

HXoiSI5.jpg

7oLFnqm.jpg

UQxeIyB.jpg

YDaVsf1.jpg

zC74xh4.jpg