What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2) | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2)

Currently reading

Paper: Under the hawthorn tree - Ai Mi , A roman in the time of Chinese Cultural revolution. It has been a while that I've read a roman but it's a nice read, not that far in it yet.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12238011-under-the-hawthorn-tree

On the Kobo: Before You Know It: The Unconscious Reasons We Do What We Do
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35011639-before-you-know-it, almost done.

Daily: Random page on the Tao Te Ching, specifically this edition (dutch), as it puts its content into a very open (verse) interpretation, so it's always a new read.
https://www.deslegte.be/tao-te-ching-405423/

And rereading Sam Harris' Free will, because I still have a summary to finish for @Ren :D

Still have a ton of books to read, but nowadays I don't have that much time. Doing my best to read in between.

Currently reading

Paper: Under the hawthorn tree - Ai Mi , A roman in the time of Chinese Cultural revolution. It has been a while that I've read a roman but it's a nice read, not that far in it yet.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12238011-under-the-hawthorn-tree

On the Kobo: Before You Know It: The Unconscious Reasons We Do What We Do
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35011639-before-you-know-it, almost done.

Daily: Random page on the Tao Te Ching, specifically this edition (dutch), as it puts its content into a very open (verse) interpretation, so it's always a new read.
https://www.deslegte.be/tao-te-ching-405423/

And rereading Sam Harris' Free will, because I still have a summary to finish for @Ren :D

Still have a ton of books to read, but nowadays I don't have that much time. Doing my best to read in between.

You have the reading habits of an Ne user lol

NONE of you are reading right now??

I can stand being away from human interaction but I can't really do without books

giphy.gif

Now I'm reading:

"Hard times" by studs terkel
"Stack your savings" by s.j Scott ( I hate it so far)
And
"From the wonderful folks who gave you Pearl harbor" ( I also hate it so far)

Now I'm reading:

"Hard times" by studs terkel
"Stack your savings" by s.j Scott ( I hate it so far)
And
"From the wonderful folks who gave you Pearl harbor" ( I also hate it so far)

Great ones, I could really use the S. J. Scott's one but I tend to get overly frustated when not being able to apply those on my life, I mean, these aren't really supposed to be formulas so...
I crave ficction right now, unreal reality to spend so quality time away from the world... That's why I feel amazed by Paulo Coelho, real life lessons into unreal life stories. You should give it a try, I mean, if happen to find any of his interesting :)

Great ones, I could really use the S. J. Scott's one but I tend to get overly frustated when not being able to apply those on my life, I mean, these aren't really supposed to be formulas so...
I crave ficction right now, unreal reality to spend so quality time away from the world... That's why I feel amazed by Paulo Coelho, real life lessons into unreal life stories. You should give it a try, I mean, if happen to find any of his interesting :)
What's it about?

I rarely indulge in fiction. I find nonfiction more useful. But I do tend to read the classics for cultural purposes.

What's it about?

I rarely indulge in fiction. I find nonfiction more useful. But I do tend to read the classics for cultural purposes.

Paulo Coelho is a writer who approaches his books in a more reflecting and stimulating way, through fiction, of course. Some would say they’re self-help books but I wouldn’t, since not everyone who read can see the essential messages of it.

I could suggest you my fave, but I think it’s more worthy to suggest you to this :wink::

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/566.Paulo_Coelho

17271557.jpg

My 850 word review lol
The book introduces a novel idea of timing analysis to events and phenomenon that you see in life. This analysis consists of studying a temporal relationship between events, the temporal nature (six lenses: sequence, duration, interval, rate, shape, polyphony) of those events and any consequences or risks of their temporal architecture. If you are someone who tends to pay attention to timing, sequence and cycles in life, you might gravitate towards this book to find answers and give some structures to your observations. I think the author succeeded in creating that structure but fell short in the delivery.

The author really drives home the necessity of viewing world events and phenomenons through the lenses of timing and temporal analysis, and competently uses examples to demonstrate the pitfalls of not using these lenses, and how it causes issues and consequences that could be avoided had we looked at the timing design behind the process. However where the author fails is demonstrating how a timing analysis can be applied to avoid such issues or how it can proactively be utilized in a typical situation. I think it is easier to see the necessity of timing design in hindsight, but it is not as clear when you are preemptively applying it to an upcoming situation that hasn’t happened yet, herein a few examples would have been beneficial. For that reason, it was hard for me to see the value of timing analysis or a benefit that I couldn’t find in the proper practices of project management, such as work breakdown structures, gant charts, and risk analysis, or a typical PEST analysis.

The author uses music theory and music terminology to explain and make sense of his proposed methodology which I sense is quite adequate as music is inherently concerned with timing, sequence, intervals, durations and polyphony (elements that make the temporal design according to the author), but I found myself on the outside looking in as I have zero training in music. I understood the similarities he was driving at, since I am an avid consumer of musical work, and on an intuitive level, I accept that music theory makes for a better language to understand how time works, but I couldn’t internalize what he was explaining to imagine how to practice as I am not a musician - in other words, I understood what he was saying but I couldn’t see the connections he was making, so I was unable to fully benefit from the analogy he used. Could his theory have been explained differently without the use of musical theory? I am unsure, and that is on the author to figure out, but he narrowed down his audience tremendously when he deployed music terminology to explain his analysis.

The book reads like an academic textbook, where each chapter is entirely dedicated to introducing and explaining one element out of six at length, but unlike an academic textbook it lacks sufficient examples or exercises on how the analysis can applied. The last chapter is dedicated to applying the analysis from beginning to end to a fictional situation that is hard to relate to (firefighters putting out a fire), which I find it failed to properly convey the mechanics of how the analysis should be conducted successfully.

My impression is the author wanted to position himself as the expert in timing analysis and temporal design through this book. It was intended for business people and it gave just enough to make the idea appealing but very little to make it applicable. I imagine that is where his expertise would be called upon; to help businesses and corporations apply it. The book had potential to educate an average individual how to use temporal design to improve or manage their life, but it fell short of that potential, perhaps intentionally so. I was intrigued and I couldn’t find any other books or publications of Stuart Albert to gain a better insight on what could be, as he proposes, a groundbreaking perspective.

I feel that if I am to benefit from this book, I would have read it multiple times and impart on it my own experiences and observations. Something the author confirmed when he began his last chapter with the following quote:
“…not give a specific answer, but to suggest a way of study.” - Josef Albers
It appropriately summarizes the author’s intent with this book; his goal was to introduce this new set of lenses through which we can look at the world and see an entire new element at play; Time. As the author mentioned, we tend to think of Time as a container of our lives and events, passively witnessing them, and as a measure to record our history, when in reality, Time is a major player and influencer in how many of the world’s major events are unfolding. Although, I can’t say this book left me with a whole lot of practical tips and tools to enrich my life, it did curiously change my perspective on what Time is and how it can be just as important to consider timing when reflecting on my life.

The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types by Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson.

I've wanted to read this for a quite some time, finally bought it. Just started. ^-^

The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types by Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson.

I've wanted to read this for a quite some time, finally bought it. Just started. ^-^
I had a different one of theirs on my list, published two years prior. Added yours too ;)

I most recently started The Unfolding of Language: The Evolution of Mankind's Greatest Invention by Guy Deutscher.

Incredible sense of humour, and already reminds me of my Intro to Linguistics classes. Great for laymen and -women who are interested in the topic, but not interested enough to, say, get Ingo Plag's textbook :laughing: (spoiler alert: he knows his stuff, but he's a dick - I skipped most of his classes, but *psst*).

20200520_161738.jpg

Audiobook: The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt

Reactions: flower
In an attempt to absolve my rampant spending and consumerism habits, I've been researching manipulation techniques of advertising and marketing.

Right now I'm reading the hidden persuaders which was written in 1957 and one of the first popular books to address this topic. Next I'll be reading buyology which is more modern and also widely well regarded.

Reactions: flower and JustPhil

I admit I haven't still finished this book... :grimacing: Almost half way, though. I'm usually a fast reader, this is unacceptable.

I admit I haven't still finished this book... :grimacing: Almost half way, though. I'm usually a fast reader, this is unacceptable.
Me too. I keep adding, though. Only today there was a new arrival :sweatsmile: Sometimes there are things that keep us from doing what we want to do. I get to read maybe once a week and then I do a hundred pages or two, given the genre :relaxed:

Well, you know what to do about the unread ;)

Reactions: flower