What are your thoughts on the Enneagram? | INFJ Forum

What are your thoughts on the Enneagram?

Siren

Lucky
Apr 3, 2011
MBTI
Unknown
Enneagram
Unknown
Do you think it's a decent typology system? Would you recommend a friend to use the Enneagram to find out their type? Share what you think of the Enneagram, both good and bad.

As for me, I think the Enneagram is a pretty solid system. It takes into account a lot like levels of development, variants, stress/heart points, etc, which is pretty amazing.

I think enneagram is a wonderful typology system. It's less wishy-washy then cognitive function theories are in my opinion. That being said, it does take a bit more time to sort out in your head and to "get it". It's well worth the effort though. It explains many things, in particular core motivations which cognitive functions fail to address.

In contrast with Indy, I'm thinking of Enneagram to be more...expansive, thus more open to interpretation, thus more wishy-washy. It's solid, but....because of the object being explained by the system...

But it's a good thing, because unlike MBTI, Enneagram focuses more on the 'why's of people doing things. It's a good thing to study if you want to study human beings and their reasoning the 'soft' way. (in contrast of, say, sociology)

Me when looking at the type 7:
jawdrop.gif

When looking at ENTP:
agree.gif

Enneagram is much more useful for self-improvement than MBTI/JCF, while MBTI/JCF is more about how different people think and process information

I love the Enneagram system. It has by far been the most accurate for me and my friends. I think its much more detailed and I like that it goes into the levels of 'at your worst' and 'at your best' so it realistically shows where you are and where you could be in an encouraging way. It gives a lot of insight as to why things are the way they are for you. I'm a type 8. Like Saddam Hussein. woooo?

From what ive heard the ennegram is a completely new area of personality type
than the MBTI which seems to delve into PERSONAL PREFERENCES
it seems the ENNEGRAM style tends to focus more on the MOTIVATIONS

have a read through and see?

what you reackon?

p.s a Trusted INTJ friend of mine helped in the defining process
you might want to hit him up. think his user name is
Binge Thinker :) PEACE

Last edited:
For me Enneagram > MBTI

However the two together adds more information for self development.

Enneagram to me just doesn't cut it. Do I think its wrong no it often right. But for me it often lacks consistency. No matter how honest I try to be. Its often to wishy washy and unclear what your type really is. I know myself I go back and forth between 4w5 and 5w4. I also tend to score some random type that I don't relate to once and a while. I don't know maybe the underlying information is just to fluid. Granted MBTI's not much better. But for me its been more stable. Again I don't think its bad or wrong I just don't put much faith into it.

Enneagram to me just doesn't cut it. Do I think its wrong no it often right. But for me it often lacks consistency. No matter how honest I try to be. Its often to wishy washy and unclear what your type really is. I know myself I go back and forth between 4w5 and 5w4. I also tend to score some random type that I don't relate to once and a while. I don't know maybe the underlying information is just to fluid. Granted MBTI's not much better. But for me its been more stable. Again I don't think its bad or wrong I just don't put much faith into it.

I thought this too, however I have been reading the book "Personality Types" lately. And it really goes way in depth into it and why different levels of development within the same Enneagram will behave differently and how motivations manifest themselves in both healthy and unhealthy individuals.

I stopped at MBTI. I'm far too lazy to figure out the enneagram system and complicate things any further. Si, se Ne ni, baaaaaah!

Seems like a lot of work! And I don't like work. People are lazy, this is true.

Seems like a lot of work! And I don't like work. People are lazy, this is true.

I find it a bit less restrictive than the JFC, While I tend to agree with the JFC in many respects they feel incomplete to me and don't give any real direction for improvement in a sense only a better understanding of yourself. The Enneagram seems to have better self-improvement applications in my opinion.

I find it a bit less restrictive than the JFC, While I tend to agree with the JFC in many respects they feel incomplete to me and don't give any real direction for improvement in a sense only a better understanding of yourself. The Enneagram seems to have better self-improvement applications in my opinion.

Hmm.... when I'm bored and lonely I may dig into this then!

Reactions: This
Simply put, it helps complete the picture of your personality.

Blind Bandit and Sali have talked about some of my concerns or views on the Enneagram. I thought at first that it was a bit wishy-washy and too much like astrology (I mean no insult but trying to draw a comparison). Like Blind Bandit, I seem to come out as either a 4 w 5 or 5 w 4. It really depends on the questions in the test as to which result I get.

I tend to think I am the former really as my primary filter is emotional even though I am capable of detaching mentally and compartmentalising in order to cope with things. The two types are a bit different in how they look at things.

I agree with Sali though that when you start reading into it, there is a lot of beneficial stuff with the enneagram. You can better understand the differences between healthy and unhealthy variations of the type. I have to say that the one thing that helped me realise what my type was was reading what the unhealthy version of it was capable of. I saw myself with startling clarity in that.

I have since done Enneagram Explorations which gives you a tri type and that is a lot of fun and very revealing. Came out of that one as 549. It's a USD$10 test and done online. I can highly recommend it if you have a bit of spare time and money. =)